Buying saws on the Net

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Norwalk power equipment... do a search. Cheapest place I've seen on the net for huskies. You still have to have them serviced locally though bro. When you buy on the net and when it breaks and it sits in their shop for 2 weeks because they are taking care of a CUSTOMER'S saw, don't be surprised bro... That's always something you gotta think of dude. Hence why I WILL NOT buy online from anybody...

:givebeer: :popcorn:

Sign posted at my dealer: "You go to a Lawyer for legal problems,To the Doctor for medical problems,Drugstore for your prescriptions,ETC. When you buy your saw at hardware or dicount stores and it breaks TAKE IT TO THEM FOR REPAIR!"

Over at Amick's sponser thread he posted the Husky price list for 2008. The 372 is between $760-$830 depending on model. Like he said over there, these prices are suggested. It's right at the top on a sticky.

Matt

I went and bought that 2171 fri afternoon. That baby will walk the dog. :greenchainsaw: :cheers:

Over at Amick's sponser thread he posted the Husky price list for 2008. The 372 is between $760-$830 depending on model. Like he said over there, these prices are suggested. It's right at the top on a sticky.

Matt

If MSRP is strictly adhered to, (like Stihl), then the 372XP is a dead duck. The Dolmar 7900 will trounce it.

Sign posted at my dealer: "You go to a Lawyer for legal problems,To the Doctor for medical problems,Drugstore for your prescriptions,ETC. When you buy your saw at hardware or dicount stores and it breaks TAKE IT TO THEM FOR REPAIR!"

Yup, I've gone into saw shops with similar signs. While I'll occaisionally bargin shop for saws(never big-boxed yet though), I would personally never have the balls to drop off a deep discounted or internet saw for warranty work. Or I'd expect to pay for the service work.

Yup, I've gone into saw shops with similar signs. While I'll occaisionally bargin shop for saws(never big-boxed yet though), I would personally never have the balls to drop off a deep discounted or internet saw for warranty work. Or I'd expect to pay for the service work.

If they're a factory authorized warranty service center then what difference does it makes where you buy the saw. Aren't they getting paid by the manufacturer if it's under a factory warranty? (just like a car dealer's service dept.)

If it's out of warranty then why would they care where the saw was bought because they'll charge time and materials for the repair?

I wouldn't expect priority warranty service if I didn't buy a saw from that dealer but if the factory lists them as a warranty provider then I'd hold them to that.

If they're a factory authorized warranty service center then what difference does it makes where you buy the saw. Aren't they getting paid by the manufacturer if it's under a factory warranty? (just like a car dealer's service dept.)

If it's out of warranty then why would they care where the saw was bought because they'll charge time and materials for the repair?

I wouldn't expect priority warranty service if I didn't buy a saw from that dealer but if the factory lists them as a warranty provider then I'd hold them to that.

I can relate. Not off topic so bare with me. Let's say you bring in your new car with all kinds of rattles, squeaks, and a ses light on that was bought down the road. It was that dealer's responsibility to check the car out before sold. Now we have to deal with all that crap, the tech loses his arse trying to diagnose stupid problems that should have been solved long ago by the other guy. So when I have a car like that(new saw bought online) it gets put at the back and I work on my loyal customers ride(loyal saw shopper) first where the real money is.

Last edited:
i remember a post from a dealer a few days ago/stihl i think it was but maybe im wrong. claimed they didnt make squat on the saw it was mostly parts and service.

seems the man would want to sell service more than saws. have signage saying to take it elseware?

:cheers:

I can relate. Not off topic so bare with me. Let's say you bring in your new car with all kinds of rattles, squeaks, and a ses light on that was bought down the road. It was that dealer's responsibility to check the car out before sold. Now we have to deal with all that crap, the tech loses his arse trying to diagnose stupid problems that should have been solved long ago by the other guy. So when I have a car like that(new saw bought online) it gets put at the back and I work on my loyal customers ride(loyal saw shopper) first where the real money is.

anybody who doesnt have their head in their @$$ should be able to understand that concept that is the way it works for everything not just saws and if I was a dealer that is the way I would handle it as well

You could do yourself a favor and buy a 441 or 440 you dont have to worry about getting those on the net

If your good to your dealer your dealer will be good to you

Sounds like that dealer is too busy with other projects. We never turn away service on brands we are authorized to service no matter where the heck it comes from (and we work on Stihl even though we are not an authorized dealer). This is an opportunity to get a new customer, and in today's economy turning any customer away seems foolish.

Sounds like that dealer is too busy with other projects. We never turn away service on brands we are authorized to service no matter where the heck it comes from (and we work on Stihl even though we are not an authorized dealer). This is an opportunity to get a new customer, and in today's economy turning any customer away seems foolish.
+1

Right On

I've talked to this topic before and have gotton the response like " The factory sets warranty rates and the dealer doesn't really make a lot of money on warranty service"

HMMM - lets's see they whine 'cuz they don't make money selling the saw. . . they whine 'cuz they don't make money on warranty work. . . They need to find another line of work.
What ever happened to the thought in retailing that the customer is always right?? And if you keep turning potential customers away how do you expect to make ANY money!!!???!!!

AL::dizzy:

Does your Chevey Dealer work on your Ford? O.k., some do, but..

The Local servicing ACE store has a sign from late last year - "NO SERVICE WORK unless sold here". They get buried is so-called warranty work from the HD a mile away. The problem with uninformed customers, is that if it wont start it's ALL under warranty - 5 years on Echo.. sure... but Mr Customer, you left gas in the saw fro a year or two, so please fork over $70 for a carb rebuild etc. Goes down like a lead balloon. Now the customer is mad at ACE and HD and Brand xxxx.

One problem with service work is it's seasonal. When you're busy with your own brands, you'll be buried in the others. When you have no work on your brand, same for the others. Look after your own customers first.

We don't work on any brand other than Stihl (other than a few old Echos for old customers).. We were once a Stihl/Echo dealer. Echo set up dealers everwhere so we bailed on them. Best move ever, 'cos HD and ACE got the lines also...

Warranty? HA! Luckily there isn't much with Stihl's. We'd starve on warranty, not only what they pay us but on the scarcity of that work.

An no, even when we're not busy, we won't work on a box store echo, poulan, husky or other.. and we tell the customers why... we don't have parts, factory support etc.. When we tell them to take it back to where they bought it, we usually get told they already tried that, but the local HD wanted a credit card and a min charge of $84, and they'd ship it way to get fixed. lololol And we're nice to them; they remember that. We'll even give suggestions on how to fix it themselves (not they they want to).

I guess about a 1/3 of the guys that come in with their broken low cost saws either walk out with a Stihl, or come back later.

Last edited:
Back