Buying some saws for nostalgia sake?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamT1

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hey guys I’m new to the forum. It keeps popping up in my searches so I figured I may as well join up.
I put myself and the wife through college and got us our down payment on our first home cutting firewood. We’ve gone back to cutting after 10 years for some Saturday exercise we can make some money doing instead of paying for! I still have all my equipment I fished with when we cut for real.
2 twin ms 440 mag saws 18” hardnose Oregon bar and super 70.
Stihl chain sharpener, break, riveter.
Big pickup and trailer.
Lots of axes and mauls, I really like “the great divider” and a simple winged axe.

I’m kinda a collector type and I’m looking for some suggestions for some good vintage saws to have around for fun. Stuff I can use to cut wood. I like stuff with good power. I still have my first saw from when I was 14 or 15 a John Deere 55V. It has a horrible power to weight ratio, but sounds neat. I found it in grandpas barn and used it until I had money to buy a 036 pro. I bet I used up 10 036, 360, 361 saws before discovering a 440 last 2X as long!
So far a Poulan 4000 is on my list to have. What other old school pro saws should I look at?

Any variation of a McCulloch 10-10 (10-10A, Pro 10-10, 10-10S, etc) would be my thought. Power/weight is pretty good too. Parts are plentiful and they’re easy to work on.

That’s a ~54cc saw but McCulloch also had 70cc and 80cc saws on a similar platform. Those are SP-80, SP-81’s, Pro Mac 70, etc. These are really stout saws. McCulloch made great saws until they sold out maybe sometime in the 80’s.

Homelite also had similar saws but I’m not too familiar with their smaller ones.

I’m sure you could find some on your local craigslist easily. There’s a McCulloch thread here with a bunch of guys who’d help you out more and may even have some they’d let go.

And if/when you do get one, eBay is a great source for parts, and this site is a wealth of information. Just keep your eye out on eBay.

Chainsawr, out of Vermont I believe, will have quite a few parts for the smaller saws. If it’s not listed on their site, contact them and they will most likely find it.

https://store.chainsawr.com/

Matthew

My 4-nostalgia-saw plan is a Homelite XL2, Craftsman 2.3 Solid State, Stihl 009L, and a Poulan 3400.

009???, xl2??,
HEY! That's MY crap you're talkin about buddy!

And all made in the U.S.A.

I've had that 009(L) for about 15 years. So I feel almost obligated to keep it. And the 3400 is Pop's old saw.

The XL2 and the 2.3 I just happened upon by accident.
www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/garage-art.325460/

But I'll probably sell them all in the next year so I won't feel guilty about buying a new 241.
Except the 3400. Gotta keep one saw that leaks a bunch of oil....for nostalgia.

I would think a Stihl 041 would be a great ol saw too have for fun

I had an 056 that I gave to my buddy. It was a beast and sounded really good

All it really depends on is your flavor lol, German? Swedish? Canadian? Japanese? Classic American muscle? Lol I can think of hundreds of saws that I would love to have but probably never will because I like to run my stuff and I wouldn't be able to keep up with that many lol

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Back