buying used saws....which? profit or not?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartDalb

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hi folks

Been thinking about something.

Buying used saws, rebuilding and reselling. (in a minor scale, hobby wise)

Is it possible? pro's and con's?
What to buy, what to stay off?

Been lurking around the market for some time now, (In Denmark, small country in Europe :laugh:)

I managed to pick up a Stihl 180C for 70$, cleaned it out spend only a few $ on gaskets, and sold it for 270$.

So, my observations, Stihl instantly has the attention of MANY people around the "used chainsaw" market.
Husqvarna, Jonsered saws don't draw anywhere near that attention, and MCculloch, Partner, Echo, Makita/Dolmar don't get much (if any) attention on the used market.

Please comment, if you like. What us your experience on this topic?
Any comments are welcomed!

/Mj

(in before @Mattyo says, "this is also in my videos", mostly because I know he talks about it :numberone:)

Of all the saws I have sold, Stihl saws sell themselves, especially used ones. Your area may be different but around these parts a used Stihl with a new bar and chain sells easily but all the other makes sit and languish even though they may look like new they garner very little attention.

Lots of firewood burners here. Nearly 1/2 are Stihl owner, the other 1/2 Husqvarna.

Finding deals on saws (here) is a slow process. Most people (here) have an inflated sense of what anything is worth anymore. I'd guess that some place like California where 'money falls from the sky', and people buy like 'money falls from the sky' would part with something (hardly or never used) just to move the 'junk' their elder parent bought to fulfill some fantasy.

interesting, so it seems Stihl just has higher attention and market value than ANY other brand out there.

Stihl just seems to have that recognizable color and quality image over all the other chainsaws, I quit buying or trading any other brands because I couldn`t make a cent off them and in some cases had to give them away to get them out of the shop/storage buildings. I tried explaining these saws were just as good and in some cases they were newer with less hours on them but no deal. They take a Stihl with much higher hours over a near new Husqvarna or Dolmar.

buying saws for use vs flipping is different..

if you are intentional on coming out ahead, first know what the saw is worth in good mechanical shape....

subtract what the seller wants... = your wiggle room

wiggle room may or may not include time spent on a project, but it does include parts. oem or am... etc.

in order to figure out what a saw will need, you either need to be really good at the eval, or super lucky.

very few things bring prices up (fresh rebuild from reputable source?), LOTS of things bring the price of saws down...

most sellers think they are sitting on a pile of gold. ...walk away from the delusional ones :)

get used saws cheap ... the cheaper the better, and the cheaper you get it the more likely you are to come out ahead

now, if you are a pro tree guy and just need a saw to cut, likely best to either have a PILE of used saws where you can just grab another one, OR sell your soul to the dealer and buy new every year....with warrantee. its not worth a pro's time to be jerking around with used stuff that has issues...

imho

:)

You bought a 180 for $70 and sold it for $270? You don't need our help.

It was a VERY VERY profitable buy/sale, I will never be that lucky again. Guy who sold it had starting issues with it, had it put away for 8 years, the saw was from 2004, but....more or less unused. I more or less cleaned it, took it apart etc. Ran it 2 hours later, cylinder, piston etc. in perfect condition.

Anyways, a new 180C costs around 340$ In Denmark.

Very nice informative replies, thanks folks!

We have a lot of competition here in the states with lots of people in on the flipping business. I used to sell a few saws on ebay but that turned out to be a buyers' market with little upside to the seller. Local sales kinda slow also around here and I'm not much into the storage business so after all mine are gone I'll probably just keep 3 or 4 for my own use...

These days everybody seems to be making crazy money flipping chainsaws and there are apparently dozens of buyers patiently lining up with big wands of cash in their hands to buy such collectibles as MS180's and Chicom Hitachi's.

You have to tell me your secret because it took me four months to sell an MS290 last year and in the end I sold it at a small loss: I had to throw in a used chain in good shape to sell the saw at cost (what I paid for it plus parts), otherwise I'd still have that damn thing.
You also have to tell me how you pay so little for saws, even seized ones, because here every seller is apparently holding to a treasure of the greatest rarity and won't knock off one penny.

Latest posts

Back