buying used saws....which? profit or not?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
346 and 353 is where I can earn money.
Pay normally 30-50$ for a powerhead at one of my dealers, ruffly 100$ in parts and resell them for 300$ +/-50$.
I unvoid clamshell saws, and most of the times I unvoid them 545/550's.

These days everybody seems to be making crazy money flipping chainsaws and there are apparently dozens of buyers patiently lining up with big wands of cash in their hands to buy such collectibles as MS180's and Chicom Hitachi's.

You have to tell me your secret because it took me four months to sell an MS290 last year and in the end I sold it at a small loss: I had to throw in a used chain in good shape to sell the saw at cost (what I paid for it plus parts), otherwise I'd still have that damn thing.
You also have to tell me how you pay so little for saws, even seized ones, because here every seller is apparently holding to a treasure of the greatest rarity and won't knock off one penny.
Well ebay is a tresure hord of awesome chainsaws and parts it definitely makes my life easier and chainsawr.com for older saws parts if you can't really find them

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I usually do best just buying some saw and doing absolutely nothing to it and turning it over on Ebay. I try and get it running and if it runs it's sold as a running parts saw. If it doesn't it's sold as a non-running parts saw. I set a limit of paying no more than $20 on flea market saws. $5 on Macs and Homelites. I always sell the bars and chains separately too. If there is a case or scabbard with it they get sold separately. I do alright. If I make $40 I'm happy. If I make $100 I'm REAL happy.

I dont even try to resell saws. Its just a hobby to me. I like being able to take 3 or 4 saws to the woods when I go. I have resold a few, but I cant get for them what a lot of others claim they sell for. Everybody seems to think that bunch of junk is worth its weight in gold. I try to only buy complete saws, with bar and chains. Lots of times you can get by with just a ring and a little tune. Sometimes you need a new piston and other times you need a complete top end. The few saws I have made money on where complete saws, given to me as non runners. Put a coil in one and sold it for $200. Put the carb partition in a 55 husky and sold it for $135. Got a 272 for free and put a piston and ring and plan on keeping the saw. Bought a bunch of junk in a box for $40, because I needed some small parts for some other junk saws I own. I should be able to piece together 3 or 4 runners and have plenty of trashcan parts left over. Probably have $100 apiece in those runners when complete. Might make some pocket change when they sell, and then go look for another box of junk..

If I turn over saws to sell that are fairly newer I only buy the husky stihl and echo chainsaws and obviously give it a run down before purchasing it. If it's a vintage saw I only fix certain types like mccholluch, homelite stihl husqvarna jred and pioneer and domlar saws because they seem to have the highest turnover rate. And I live in a Dutch mindset based Comunity and I can name my price but I also try to list it on ebay as well for esier sales and just don't skimp on parts..... vibes said that he sells the bar and chains I think it was separately. I totally agree with that concept.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Here used saws to me the older huskys are around $200 to $300 for a decent mid sized saw. I’m finding used pro husky saws with the orginal clutch drum, bar and chain probably used by a home owner.

Bulletpruf,,, hello my people are in Naples. My family is in Italy on a 2 1/2 week vacation there in Tuscany right now. The misses loves it there.

In my neck of the woods smaller saws like 024s and 260s are what sell fast! 260s are usually priced at $350 CAD and they sell quickly at that price.

Yet my clean, low hour 038 magnum was priced at $325 with a brand new 25" stihl pro bar and chain and it sat.

There was a 441c for sale at $450 CAD (that saw is $1200 new here) and again nobody wanted it.

Nice clean Huskies seem to sit while 50cc stihls will be gone in a day.

I've been buying non running 260s lately and will probably flip a few of them once I'm done rebuilding them.

I've been buying and selling rifles for several years and its been a good way to pay for that hobby.. figured might as well do it with saws.

Well at least the saws I dont want to keep!

Anything Farm Boss is a quick sale on Craigslist . One poster said you could sell a toaster if it had Farm Boss on it.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

I have been trying to do the same, the ones i have had the best luck with selling, were brand new. Even slightly used turns into a crap shoot.

Latest posts

Back