CAD:Anyone Go through Withdrawl selling off their kids?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freakingstang

Doctor Freakinstein
Reaction score
I've been liquidating alot of my saws... My favorite group of saws was the

Dolmar 5100 with a 13" for limbing
Stihl MS360 ported with a 20"
Ported 372 with a 20"
7900 with a 25"
And the 660 with a 28" and 36" if the need arised.
And the 084 for the mill-fresh rebuild with all brand new genuine stihl parts from 4-5 years ago and I've never fired it!

Well, About a month ago I had almost 30 saws... ranging from a couple 5100's to a all brand new rebuilt 084that I had plans of using on my brand new MK3 mill. So between CL and Ebay I have been getting rid of them a group at a time..

The makita6401, stihl 046 and stihl 026 all went the first week... that wasn't emotional...

Then a couple husky 55's and a husky 359 left.

A 440 that was almost brand new, less than 10 tanks, a J-Red 490 that was mint, a Jred 630 again mint, a couple basket case 460's and 066's all left this week.. I'm sad the 440 is gone... I wanted to put a 460 topend on it.. So then a member here is looking for firewood saws in the 70-80cc range and I offer up my very low hour 7900 at a decent, but high price that would make him a good saw and me not worry about selling it last night...and HE takes it...damn, thats ok I have two modded 372's. so then a buddy stops over today and throws some cash in my face for my other 372... said I wouldn't get rid of it... ported it, actually was my first..started off as one of my original two 365's.. probably ruined 8-10 jugs on it trying to find out what worked best... So, in a week I feel like i lost half of my family.. Swore i'd never sell the 7900...or my original 365/372 boob job.. The problem is he ran it last weekend and fell in love....

Since i just bought a house and have been kinda strapped, I decided to get rid of a couple... couple turned into a dozen... dozen has turned into almost 20!!!!! :msp_scared: I still have the 084... have three guys from CL hounding the crap out of me, but I haven't ever ran it and won't sell a saw without putting some time on it...i'll prolly loose a big chunk of change on that one... but really, how many saws does a guy need?

It is Remotely possible to ONLY HAVE 3 or 4 saws? Like ONE 50cc, ONE 70CC and one 90CC? Maybe I can find a cheap brand new XPW 372 somewheres to make me feel better....

Anyone else ever have letting go issues? lol Of course now I'm thinking about all the house repairs, future cobra blower upgrades, gonna need a newer tractor for the ranch soon...ahh, just venting and want some discussion from others... i know there is a few of you guys had it as bad or worse than i did....

3CDDB388-2151-4763-86C0-7988DAD3FE33-5073-0000072B83D20B4C.jpg

I used to freak out about it more than I do now......Lots more saws out there and not very many that are so rare you won't find another one.

I still have a tiny bit of sellers regret from a couple that I said I would never sell, but someone came along with way too much cash and I caved......I do know how you feel, but I think it will pass (When you start building back up to 30...lol).:msp_biggrin:

I do know that your a hard person to get ahold of, I really wanted that 460 that was smashed but you never answered your phone so I gave up.

I do know that your a hard person to get ahold of, I really wanted that 460 that was smashed but you never answered your phone so I gave up.

Sorry about that. Did you leave a message? I work 14-16 hours a day and That CL add was my worst nightmare.. 150-200 calls a day on tire kickers.... gave up and went to ebay

He's like that! Text him and he's all "Who the heck is this?"

I'm down to 3, the 046 you built for me, the crazy stupid 350 and I built up a 5100, just because I could! Still got the Mall hanging in the corner, but I don't really count it, it's not mine and doesn't run!
The one that I absolutely positively miss, and regret selling, was my 200t! Sold it right before the 201t was found out to be the dud it is and prices sky rocketed! Oh well, you don't do much climbing with a broken back anyway!
Good to read you Freak! I'm sure I'll see you around again sometime!

Sold most of my parts and saws to a member here a couple of months ago, had some regrets.
Am mostly over it now, still have a half dozen or so of orphans to deal with this winter.
I will keep about 6 for myself.
Like you say how many does one need.
And I still check the ads every day for deals.:hmm3grin2orange:
Kinda stayed away from here for a while to.
BBB

I was like you 10-12 years ago went I started buying part saws/rebuilders etc. I never ever wanted to get rid of any because I had some pipe dream that I was going to need this size/model for something one day. At one point in time I had over a 100 saws in various stages of repair/completion. However, after buying my own house about 7 years ago and started burning wood, reality set in. I now own three saws (an 011 I use for camping and other small jobs, an 026, and an 044) personally. I do have an 025 I built for my wife, a new MS380 I gave to my son, an 024 I built for my son for a starter saw, and an 044 I built for my son to use later in life. After buying a house and trying to raise 3 kids I've realized that sitting on a pile of saws wort $ I don't use isn't very practical. There are plenty of other areas where my money will be better spent.

Once u get over sending the first few out the door it gets a lot easier after u come across more saws. I still continue to buy saw parts and saws, but I get rid of them in short order.

I'm down to 3, the 046 you built for me, the crazy stupid 350 and I built up a 5100, just because I could! Still got the Mall hanging in the corner, but I don't really count it, it's not mine and doesn't run!
The one that I absolutely positively miss, and regret selling, was my 200t! Sold it right before the 201t was found out to be the dud it is and prices sky rocketed! Oh well, you don't do much climbing with a broken back anyway!

I was thinking you were going to say your 346 OE ...u were sad about selling ;)

Whats Up ANdy? in my defense i had just gotten a replacement phone and lost every single contact I had. how ya been Dude? Hows that 460 running? sure miss that guy too.... man, that was a TON of saws ago....

I was like you 10-12 years ago went I started buying part saws/rebuilders etc. I never ever wanted to get rid of any because I had some pipe dream that I was going to need this size/model for something one day. At one point in time I had over a 100 saws in various stages of repair/completion. However, after buying my own house about 7 years ago and started burning wood, reality set in. I now own three saws (an 011 I use for camping and other small jobs, an 026, and an 044) personally. I do have an 025 I built for my wife, a new MS380 I gave to my son, an 024 I built for my son for a starter saw, and an 044 I built for my son to use later in life. After buying a house and trying to raise 3 kids I've realized that sitting on a pile of saws wort $ I don't use isn't very practical. There are plenty of other areas where my money will be better spent.

Once u get over sending the first few out the door it gets a lot easier after u come across more saws. I still continue to buy saw parts and saws, but I get rid of them in short order.

Good deal, just wanted to make sure i wasn't crazy... It was alot of fun and gave me some things to do. The saw hunt is part of the fun... My goal was to sell all the saw and car stuff before I bought the house to help with the down payment, but I ran across my 48x40 shop with attached house as a short sale. low ball offer and they took it! so now those saws could be considered an investment... maybe one of the few hobbies i've had that didn't cost more to have fun than it was worth... I almost had the 660 sold.. that would have torn me up.... but honestly my 372 would do 90% of what i do anyways... maybe having the saws made an excuse to go cut bigger trees.. idk. Also as I get older, if i can't get it with a 28" bar, I kinda don't want to have anything to do with it...that just means more work and effort cleaning the mess up. the fun stops about the time the tree hits the ground....

I reciently sold an XL-12 and a 10-10A thru C'list. They were in my first cad "hauls" two years ago.

I worry about their fate......................................................................................

Need to move about twenty more.

Good deal, just wanted to make sure i wasn't crazy... It was alot of fun and gave me some things to do. The saw hunt is part of the fun... My goal was to sell all the saw and car stuff before I bought the house to help with the down payment, but I ran across my 48x40 shop with attached house as a short sale. low ball offer and they took it! so now those saws could be considered an investment... maybe one of the few hobbies i've had that didn't cost more to have fun than it was worth... I almost had the 660 sold.. that would have torn me up.... but honestly my 372 would do 90% of what i do anyways... maybe having the saws made an excuse to go cut bigger trees.. idk. Also as I get older, if i can't get it with a 28" bar, I kinda don't want to have anything to do with it...that just means more work and effort cleaning the mess up. the fun stops about the time the tree hits the ground....
Great to hear on the house...and from the pictures it looks like a nice place. Ya I agree...in all honesty my 044 is what I use 90% of the time and it works real well for about everything I need to do. A 372 would be just as good as an 044 and serve the same purpose.

I'm kinda bummed I wasn't able to meet up with you when u came around my neck of the woods 5 or 6 years ago, but glad to see you back on AS. If u ever want to sell that grinder u got from Omar's let me know lol.
Take care

Last edited:
Great to hear on the house...and from the pictures it looks like a nice place. Ya I agree...in all honesty my 044 is what I use 90% of the time and it works real well for about everything I need to do. A 372 would be just as good as an 044 and serve the same purpose.

I'm kinda bummed I wasn't able to meet up with you when u came around my neck of the woods 5 or 6 years ago, but glad to see you back on AS. If u ever want to sell that grinder u got from Omar's let me know lol.
Take care

Thanks Brad. Yeah, traveling all over the US and canada has allowed me to meet a TON of awesome people through this site. I'm not giving any of that up!.

I was just searching Ebay the other day to try and find a USG grinder at a reasonable price to use that square ground attchment I have! I dont plan on selling it before i get to use it! lol. Thanks again, i wish i could have met up with ya while I was up there for a week or so. Omar is a good dude. Would love to get back up there and see him and his wife before too long.. he told me he'd drive to ohio and install a central wood boiler for me when i did get a house...

thanks, love the house.. glad I held out...Yeah, i think i did ok for trading off some saws and a car or two....:rock:

C22D326C-5171-471F-A799-228B5892AD61-1388-000002E50F4CE74B.jpg

DA8666B3-0C9F-438F-8A45-99988CC2DDCC-1388-000002E50C0E9E43.jpg

a36cbbff.jpg

and the house isn't too shabby either...

c11343dc.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Brad. Yeah, traveling all over the US and canada has allowed me to meet a TON of awesome people through this site. I'm not giving any of that up!.

I was just searching Ebay the other day to try and find a USG grinder at a reasonable price to use that square ground attchment I have! I dont plan on selling it before i get to use it! lol. Thanks again, i wish i could have met up with ya while I was up there for a week or so. Omar is a good dude. Would love to get back up there and see him and his wife before too long.. he told me he'd drive to ohio and install a central wood boiler for me when i did get a house....

We will meet up next time for sure...just let me know when u come up this way.

You are totally right Omar is a super nice guy and you may need to take him up on his central boiler offer ;).

dang ...not sure why, but the pics didn't show up on your post when I had replied earlier. Yup I agree you did real good. Very nice looking place and nice looking shop (minus the chevy truck j/k ;) ).

Sold my climbing saw a few months ago, then I needed it again last week. Par for the course...

Sold my climbing saw a few months ago, then I needed it again last week. Par for the course...

yeah I went through that a few years ago as well... now if I have to get in a tree, I just used the 5100 with the 13" bar... haven't broke the plastic tank yet.... or course I don't climb with gaff's so I don't know what I'm doing up in a tree either.

Seems some people think this was a place for me to advertise my stuff for sale... it had nothing to do with that at all...

I never had as many saws as you did - 6 was the most I had at once and just sold 3 this past week. An 021, MS250, and MS290 - still have a small old Homie, the 460 and a 064 sitting on the bench. Being out of work, it seemed silly to have a few hundred bucks laid up in the garage when (particularly now that Sandy is stormin) theres people that could enjoy and use em. The 460 feels like it weighted same as the 290, but lots more power. And the 064 with 660 top end only weights a tad more than the 460 and building it up for milling.
Now that the storm is coming I feel naked without my small fleet but ultimately, it's just stuff. The 460 and a small one for limbing is all I need for now.

Congrats on the house/shop combo - I like!

I never had as many saws as you did - 6 was the most I had at once and just sold 3 this past week. An 021, MS250, and MS290 - still have a small old Homie, the 460 and a 064 sitting on the bench. Being out of work, it seemed silly to have a few hundred bucks laid up in the garage when (particularly now that Sandy is stormin) theres people that could enjoy and use em. The 460 feels like it weighted same as the 290, but lots more power. And the 064 with 660 top end only weights a tad more than the 460 and building it up for milling.
Now that the storm is coming I feel naked without my small fleet but ultimately, it's just stuff. The 460 and a small one for limbing is all I need for now.

Congrats on the house/shop combo - I like!

Thanks... I too have wondered if the storm has anything to do with the local sales... Sold a 55 yesterday, that 372, and a dolmar 7300... I'm getting the feeling with only a few running saws i won't be able to survive! of course I could shoot the trees down. lol

I've only sold saw's that I have double of; only one saw I wish I didn't get rid of and I gave that saw away to someone

Seems one type of saw I don't have to go and look for they find me; I have so many parts for one saw its scary I can go out in the barn and put two of them together at any time along with another 60 cc saw but if I did that I wouldn't have the parts any more :msp_wink:

Last edited:
Back