California Fires

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rupedoggy

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
The TV news just said the air quality near Chico is the worst in the state. Dennis Cahoon may be having trouble breathing easy but there should be plenty of trees for his boy to cut later on. Get his saws tuned Dennis.

Yah, I was going to go down there this week, but decided against it with all the fires burning from the lightening strikes. We have had a lot of lightening here in a storm earlier this week too, but we just went to level one fire restrictions, and things are still pretty green. Fortunate for us north of the state line. No fires, but they just put up the 'no burning' sign this week.

Humboldt timber fires

We slept through the dry lightning and thunder storm this past friday that set 50 wildfires locally and several hundred more fires in nearby Mendocino County. Fire crews from all over California converged to fight a 500 acre blaze about 5 miles from where we live. The steep terrain required the use of big logging helicopters to dump 1000 gallon loads of ocean water on hot spots as dozers and hand crews established fire lines. Another lightning storm is predicted for this coming weekend.

With a forest of redwoods, madrones and tanoaks all around us I have been using the chainsaw, weed whacker, pole trimmer to keep a defensible space around our house and our exit route open through the forest. 40,000 gallons of water is stored in tanks for the fire season which may last till the end of October.

The TV news just said the air quality near Chico is the worst in the state. Dennis Cahoon may be having trouble breathing easy but there should be plenty of trees for his boy to cut later on. Get his saws tuned Dennis.

Yup. We're working above Feather Falls and the smoke is laying so thick in the gullies and canyons that it's like driving in fog. There's serious talk about just shutting the woods down completely because of the fire danger...no logging at all. I haven't seen that happen in a long time but it wouldn't surprise me this year.

There are several smaller fires that don't even have crews on them. Not enough people to go around.

Back