Calling All Husky 254xp, 257, 261 and 262xp Historians

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you still have the 262's in your sig line, what do they have?
My 1994 has a plastic clutch cover and I know that is correct because I bought it new. The 1996 is my current backup saw which came with a metal cover but the crankcase has the slots for the plastic cover. Since I rebuilt it from a parts machine on ebay I cant swear that the cover is original. I believe the 1996 models all had plastic covers.

My 1996 262xp has mag clutch cover - haven't had from new so can't be sure that it's original though.

In about 1997 there was a recall here in North America that changed out alot of the clutch covers, still catch one or two a year that get a warranty replacement.

The recalled chain saws include the Husqvarna models 42, 51, 55, 242, and 254 with serial numbers beginning with 531 and below. The recalled saws also include models 61 and 257 with serial numbers beginning with 324 and below. The chain saws are orange and have the Husqvarna name printed on both sides of the motor. The model number is printed on the left side of the motor and on the serial number plate on the left front of the motor. The hand guard is made of black, gray, or orange plastic.

I think its the other way around, every 1996 I've personally seen (4 total) all had the metal cover, although the IPL indicates otherwise. Maybe an original owner of a 1996 will pipe in someday...

Interesting! I just kinda figured that the metal covers coincided with the intro of the 261. So maybe my 1996 metal cover is original - cool.

Certainly the metal covers cost more to produce. What pushed Husky to make the change? Were there failures of the plastic covers? The one on my 1994 has been rock solid and I can't say that I have always been kind to it.

Certainly the metal covers cost more to produce. What pushed Husky to make the change? Were there failures of the plastic covers? The one on my 1994 has been rock solid and I can't say that I have always been kind to it.

Well, Husky have used mag ones on all pro saws (and some others) since then, so I assume there is a good reason.

Even the little 339xp has a mag clutch cover.

One death, and many failures. Had to do with the exhaust outlet design, basically turing the brake handle joint on the cover to mush.

In about 1997 there was a recall here in North America that changed out alot of the clutch covers, still catch one or two a year that get a warranty replacement.

The recalled chain saws include the Husqvarna models 42, 51, 55, 242, and 254 with serial numbers beginning with 531 and below. The recalled saws also include models 61 and 257 with serial numbers beginning with 324 and below. The chain saws are orange and have the Husqvarna name printed on both sides of the motor. The model number is printed on the left side of the motor and on the serial number plate on the left front of the motor. The hand guard is made of black, gray, or orange plastic.

No mention of the 262 and 257 there - but is this is an indication of when the cover change took place (week 32 1995)?

Last edited:
262's were last available in NA in 2000. It is likely they could be bought abroad after that date.

I checked my saws of this series last night: a 1990 262, a 1994 292, and a 1997 257; all have plastic clutch covers.

262's were last available in NA in 2000. It is likely they could be bought abroad after that date.

I checked my saws of this series last night: a 1990 262, a 1994 292, and a 1997 257; all have plastic clutch covers.

Get a new clutch cover/brake assembly from your nearest dealer, even if you dont need it it will be a spare. It was a recall, not just a service bulletin.

Get a new clutch cover/brake assembly from your nearest dealer, even if you dont need it it will be a spare. It was a recall, not just a service bulletin.

Do you have any numbers to go to the dealer with? I can just imagine walking in and telling them I am entitled to three!! They are good folks, and I buy a ton of parts from them, but they are primarily HO dealers!!!

Only the 257 would be applicable, but if its a 1997 saw it should have the mag cover. regardless that being said it was a CPSC recall, so any dealer should change it out.

Look up Husqvarna Service Memo 041097-1 issued 1997-04
for the 257 the new muffler would be 503 55 55 04 and the brake assembly 501 87 40 06 (era part numbers most likely superceeded to newer numbers by now), but if the right parts are on the saw and of the right vintage they would the same.

at 9 / 1988 ? there was a small change in 254 casings cast. They were reinforced the cases, by adding material thickess, in area where the combustion chambers joins to the lower frame, around the bolt holes.

You can identify the reinforced upper case pieces, from N marking on the coil tank area of clutch side, and a an R marking on the flywheel side of the oil tank.

10 / 1987 ?there was some change in ignition modules, to make the saws start easier. The new part #506 02 72-01 replaced the old # 506 02 72-03. And atleast in the normal, non XP models, the new modules were bolted on saws from seriel number 720372.

6 / 1987 ? The 254 was given new seals, made from Teflon and they replaced the rubber seals. Teflon lasts better with fuels, dont suffer so much from high temps and wears slower.
Teflon seals # 503 26 06-01 replaced the # 505 27 57-19. To the 254, the new seals were bolt-on to the flywheel side, but the clutch side fitted only to the seal "holder" 501 87 24-01, to the earlier it did not fit. But, from saws starting from 7220515, both seals fitted for sure.

Somewhere along the way the cylinder and piston changed too, and the easiest way to separate old and new is the thickness of piston ring. Old is 1mm and the new had 1.5mm. The improvised C&p is 503 50 39-01 and the old was 503 44 13-01
I think they changed more than only the pistons ring.....Anyways, the improvised c&p were fitted to 254 saws, from number 7400209.

11/1987 the 254`s carb changed from saws starting with 7230460, the older HDA 35 A was replaced with new HDA 35 B, that had 0,50mm jet instead of older carbs 0.52mm jet, and this new B carb was ok to be used in 242´s too. The new jet was 503 53 28-01.

I dont know, how interesting this is or related to the XP talk but as the base of 254 is the same i thought this might be useful perhaps, for identification of saws.

Last edited:
Back