can anyone tell me the kind of wood i cut?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chipmaker29

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Went to cut some wood today. Went same place i been goin & gettin oak. cut up pretty big fallen of what i thought was some type of oak. when i was cuttin it, it smelled a bit like paint. never smelled this type of smell coming from the wood. idk exactly what it is. is it just punky...to far gone for oak or what? anybody know? split a couple pieces & it smells pretty strong like paint. whats up with that?

thanks guys...

idk if it is boxelder...here is a pic of the pieces i split. if it is boxelder is it worth a crap to burn?

thanks

That looks like katalpa!! It splits real easy, burns fast and easy, burns hot too. I like to burn katalpa but you will go through it fast. It burns down fast without lasting coals. One minute you will have a nice fire and an hour later it's out. Keep feeding it. Probably would make a better fire starter.

That looks like katalpa!! It splits real easy, burns fast and easy, burns hot too. I like to burn katalpa but you will go through it fast. It burns down fast without lasting coals. One minute you will have a nice fire and an hour later it's out. Keep feeding it. Probably would make a better fire starter.

That the tree that has the very large caterpillars on them in the spring and summer? Great fish bait.:cheers:

How well did it split? Did it fuzz the chain when you cut it?:cheers:

not sure what u mean by "fuzz the chain". it cut pretty well. as far as splitting, it was pretty tough. they were fairly large diameter rounds & i had to use a wedge to get them to split into. had to drive it like way down in the center to get them split in half. after that, they split decent with a maul. def not real easy. i swear the bark looked almost identical to the oak that i cut up prior that was laying across this tree.

i am attaching (2) more pics to see if you guys can give me a bit more positive identification. need to know if it is worth splitting the rest of the rounds to burn or throw it in the outdoor firepit wood pile.

thanks alot everybody!

Catalpa is a fairly light weight wood feels like more like a softwood but looks like a hardwood. It has kind of a musty smell. It's color is a little more on the tan side but not white.
If it's box elder it would be harder denser and have a stronger smell. Almost a green smell.
Catalpa's grain is closer to resembling oak and box elder's grain is closer to maple. We burn Box Elder too after it dries out. Hell we burn just about anything once the stove gets good and hot. Just add a little at a time with good dry wood.

Back