Can anyone tell me what these ancient bars fit?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IEL

fight thread slacker
Reaction score
Well, when I was getting my last haul of saws I got these two bars thrown in. The first one is a 32" hard nose, and the second one is a 20 or 24" hard nose. Both are covered in rust, the smaller one has a rattle can paintjob over the rust. I noticed the smaller one sort of fit on my super 55a Mcculloch. The bar studs fit, and the tensioner fit, but the oil hole was on the wrong side? The big one I have no idea.... I looked at acres sight, and neither mount was listed. Also, the big bar has a really wide slot. Wider than my large mount stihl.

Here are the pictures.
View attachment 301248

Seems the second picture won't post. I will retake it and post it later.

I'm clueless as to the tensioner and oiler holes,
But the slot looks like it's had a file in it.
as seen in your pic, look at the upper left part of the slot.
looks to be a squared out spot and seems like the slot is a bit tapered.
If that's the case, it'll obviously make matching up harder for ya.

just bear in mind that sometimes digital photos
sometimes do some funny things with my eyes.

I'll take a stab...

14mm is the largest slot for any production saw requiring that size bar. Being filed out might be why it appears to big for your large mount Stihl. The hole pattern is not un-common for after market bars trying to fit on as many saws as possible. Oregon makes a living of this. Based on your pic with the oiler hole location, 14mm mount and adjustment pin hole location, there are three saws carrying that signature. They are Olympyk(not a typo) Oleo-Mac and Stihl. The retro fit (slotted) holes make it possible to fit Echo, Tanaka and John Deere. However it appears to be completely wrong for Husky and Dolmar. If you clean it up or mill it down, you may find some numbers. Anyone can tell you the last three are usually the mount fitment. Good Luck!

I will clean it up a bit, and see if it will fit on my 08s (large mount stihl)
If everything but the slot works, I will mill the slot out and make a bushing down to the correct size.

It could be the oil hole location is correct for a direct drive saw, just on the wrong side for the gear drive 55A.

Mark

I bet your right. The bar is the one on my s55a in the before pictures. I want it to have something in the 36" range.

I will try it on my mac 250. I already have a bar for it, but it would be good to know what it fits.
I guess I could even just look at hem side by side... LOL

Back