can I haul 3 cords

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

68kaiser

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have 3 cords of oak that has been split for 1 year lined up and sold. my question is can i haul 3 cords with a new 3/4 ton duramax or 3/4 ton dodge with a trailer? the trip is 90 miles with one steep grade after that its smooth sailing at 55 mph..

I do know how to drive with a trailer do i all the time at work I am just used to driving a ford F450 and not having to worry about things like this to much.

3 cord of green Red Oak tips the scales at around 17K... What do you think it weighs dried ?

Around 12K?...it will take a good solid trailer to haul 12-13K...add another 4-5K.

Are you comfortable with 16-18K behind a 3/4 ton truck?

Last edited:
You should be fine with the Dmax. My dad and brother pull 20k sometimes with a 07 Dmax. Lets see some pics:clap:

My father and I can hual 3 cords in his gooseneck double duallie axle dump trailer with his 3/4 Chevy Duramax. It gets the job easly but we only hual to the surounding area, 90 miles is a good trek but I don't see why it couldn't be done. But I wouldn't do it unless it was a fifthwheel or gooseneck, after using his set up Im spoiled for life :p

What kind of trailer do you have to fit all that wood? Either the Cummins or D-max should have plenty of snot to pull it, but that's going to be a heckuva load behind it. I would agree about 13,000 lbs. for the wood alone, plus the weight of the trailer. If you do it make sure the trailer has good brakes and be safe. An EGT gauge in either of those trucks would be a good thing to have and watch, or it could be a mighty expensive load of wood.

Which is the problem that I see in this scenario. Most accidents I have seen were UNplanned. People see a truck with a big trailer coming and just love to cut you off.

do you think any accidents are planned? then would they be called accidents? i never said plan to compensate for the idiots out there on the road, just to plan your stops.

The idiots on the road are what make this unsafe because you can't plan. And when you dump your overweight load all over the road, the DOT will be real interested in YOU, not Grandma in her Yugo.

No, I don't think any accidents are planned. "Most" was a poor choice of wording on my part. Doesn't change the problem of being able to make an "unplanned" stop or maneuver while hauling too heavy.

Towing 13,000 lbs is not about wheather the vehicle can get it going, its wheather or not it will STOP it...

a 3/4 ton is NOT rated to tow that much... period.

My olds bravada moved a boat and trailer for someone once, weighed in at 12,000 lbs (only moved it about 2,000 ft) and it PULLED it no problem. Does that mean that it wouldnt be a problem for me to do that all the time? What would happen if someone panic stopped at 55 mph???

he asked if he could, i told him that it would be no problem with his truck. He never asked if he should (which i woulnt be worried about it one bit. our gooseneck alone weighs 8,000 lbs with no load, throw 22 bales of hay on it at ~800 to 1000 lbs a bale, we do it all the time)

Theres to many variables to argue about it. Chances are he wouldnt have a problem. but it only takes one old lady, or teenage driver to ruin your day...

As long as your trailer has brakes on both axles and the trailer is rated to handle the load you should be fine with either the Chevy or Dodge. I've towed 19k with my F-350 and Dodge 2500. Just remember, it's all about the trailer brakes.

Latest posts

Back