Can I put creosote in my fire starters?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcy-m

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've been rehabbing a broken foot, and as I slowly passed the wood stove I noticed some crumbles on the stovetop. Time to sweep the pipes! My husband cleaned the pipes and got a small bag of soot and creosote. Would small amounts if that be good to include in my homemade fire starters?

For fire starters, I mix sawdust from the chainsaw with shredded paper and candlewax from dollar candles. Pack it in 1/3 of a toilet paper tube with a birthday candle sticking out so the kids can light it easy. Stuff the ends with used paper towels and pour just enough used motor oil on it to soak in. I was gonna add the creosote to the sawdust. I thought it might heat faster with a pinch of creosote in it. Is that a waste of time or will it not burn completely / just recoat my pipes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't see what it would hurt. It probably won't help much but after the fire gets up to temp it will burn and put out a bit of heat. I like the birthday candle idea.

Try "noodling" a log up and using those shavings in your fire starter. Much better than sawdust, works great!

Thanks for the input. Alright then, I'll include it in my next batch. I'll let you know how they burn.

We often have 50 degree swings in temperature here - recently a week of near 80 and then bam it was in the 30's this morning. We use a good share of fire starters, so ill be making some soon. Sometimes I put them in muffin cups if I don't have paper tubes.

TtyR2, there's some noodles in there too. I havent done much noodling, so sawdust has to fill in.

I've been rehabbing a broken foot, and as I slowly passed the wood stove I noticed some crumbles on the stovetop. Time to sweep the pipes! My husband cleaned the pipes and got a small bag of soot and creosote. Would small amounts if that be good to include in my homemade fire starters?

For fire starters, I mix sawdust from the chainsaw with shredded paper and candlewax from dollar candles. Pack it in 1/3 of a toilet paper tube with a birthday candle sticking out so the kids can light it easy. Stuff the ends with used paper towels and pour just enough used motor oil on it to soak in. I was gonna add the creosote to the sawdust. I thought it might heat faster with a pinch of creosote in it. Is that a waste of time or will it not burn completely / just recoat my pipes?

Great idea well until you mentioned the motor oil.. o_O
I know a bloke that uses dryer lint placed in egg cartons sealed in wax. I do like the idea of noodled shavings!

I did the Dryer Lint in egg cartons sealed with wax gig, now.. Dryer Lint stuff into toilet paper and/or paper towel rolls, easy, clean, burns great..

Jeez your firewood starters sound like an arts and crafts project. Light bulb! Great way to sucker, I mean include the kids in the whole wood burning process.

I guess it's fun creating different ways of doing things, but I just buy a box of Seymour fire starters for about $20, good for 144 fires.

Back