Can you diagnose my Stihl by listening to it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. I'll try this stuff tomorrow. Yeah, the problem prompted me to replace everything. The only benefit I saw from all the replacements is that it starts and idles a lot nicer.

Just pull the AF cover off and watch the choke flap lever on the air filter when it is acting up at full throttle. The lever shouldn't move. If it does you need a new air filter with the proper spring tension for the choke shutter! No more aftermarket here!

Fire it up in the dark and see if you see spark jumping from a punctured plug boot, or somewhere next to the crankcase.
I had a cutoff saw doing that once.
The guy took his plug boot off with pliers a bit too aggressively.

I was first shown that working on cars back in the 1970s. An old chevy, with points ignition , looked like a Christmas light display in the dark. Wires and distributor cap were shot.

On a saw, putting the plug boot back on, rates right up there with the first time you replace an oil pump line on a 026/036/044/066.........

Maybe the old sages, here could enlighten us on their favorite methods to get the coil wire boot back on?

Ok. I tried richening the two carb screws, no change. Ran it without the filter, no change. I inspected the coil and kill switch wires and they look tight with no fraying. The kill switch is working well and nothing looks shorted around it. The plug is brand new. The gas is brand new and mixed properly. I'm going to test the resistence of the coil next and clean it really well.

FWIW, the coil has 1.3k ohm between the spark plug boot and coil. Kill switch leads are 160 ohm when killed and no connectivity when running.

Does the spark wire unscrew from the module on those 026's ?? I have seen corrosion on the inside of the module where the spark wire screws into it.

I removed the coil and cleaned everything. I replaced it using a business card in the air gap. I ran it in the dark and no sparks were leaking. Everything looks tight and fairly clean. It fires up and idles beautifully but is otherwise running exactly the same as it did. Here's what it looks like...maybe you'll see something.

I also took a peek at the piston. I confess I'm not sure how to spot a "boogered" piston but I'm familiar with boogers and the piston didn't have any. There's some faint lines in the piston but they look more like stains than scores.

Back