Can you diagnose my Stihl by listening to it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I removed the coil and cleaned everything. I replaced it using a business card in the air gap. I ran it in the dark and no sparks were leaking. Everything looks tight and fairly clean. It fires up and idles beautifully but is otherwise running exactly the same as it did. Here's what it looks like...maybe you'll see something.

I also took a peek at the piston. I confess I'm not sure how to spot a "boogered" piston but I'm familiar with boogers and the piston didn't have any. There's some faint lines in the piston but they look more like stains than scores.

Piston has definitely been scored by the video. I am surprised that it starts and runs at all.

However, I can't correlate the symptom to the piston damage unless the piston starts to get warm and then re-seizes, slows down and cools off. Rinse and repeat. May still be a coil issue and if found to be bad could have possibly caused the piston damage by mucking up the timing.

BTW, what is the history on this particular saw?

How do I unbooger it?
Buy a new one! You'll may or may not also need a new cylinder to go with it depending on the damage. However, since it still runs the cylinder is probably salvageable.

Don't run it anymore until the P&C is replaced/repaired. All you'll do is transfer more aluminum to the cylinder that will have to be removed later.

OP replace the plug ,look for chaffed or loose wires ,swi and if all fails bad coil is suspect.
Clean the transfer off the cylinder walls and replace the piston and rings.
But that’s not why the engine cuts out at upper rpm’s
Right now it needs a rebuild with piston, rings ,seals,cleaning up of the cyl and a coil.:surprised3:

Sheesh, might be time for a new saw.
This is known as a "project saw". If you are mechanically inclined you could probably rebuild it. 026's are now pretty old, like 3 generations, but were (and can be again) great professional grade saws.

If I had this saw it would be stripped, all critical rubber replaced, crank seals replaced, and anything else that you find fixed. Parts common to later generations (MS260) are still mostly available. 026 specific, like plastics, probably not unless you can find it used.

Back