Can you identify this Stihl for me??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cyclic

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Last edited:
Yea thats a 038 magnum. I have one like that, I bought it off ebay in the USA
and he shipped it to Ireland for me, its a cracker saw. He threw in a new chain which wasnt in the deal,very decent guy I thought. My saw was made in Brasil too. For a 100$ US you got a good deal, I paid 240$ US and Im :) stihl:) happy.
So happy and safe cutting to you mate

Yep, the 038 magnum is a well reputed saw, but a bit behind the husky 272xp, the 044, and some newer saws on power to weight.......:greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
I think you got a very good deal. Your 038 should noticeable lighter than
the older 038 that had the metal gas tanks.

It looks like in the picture of the front of the saw, that it is missing
a muffler cover screw.

Thanks guys. Appreciate the help.
What makes the 'magnum' status?
I'm guessing there is a straight 038 as well??

How can you guys be so sure it is a magnum? There are no name plates onthe saw saying so. Do you guys know something I do not?
The magnum was a 72cc version the 038 was 61cc.

Hmm, good point.
The 'Magnum' sticker certainly looks authentic, but is there any physical check I can do?

Hmm, good point.
The 'Magnum' sticker certainly looks authentic, but is there any physical check I can do?

Pull the muffler and measure the bore diameter. Repost with that info and it can be confirmed.

No matter what the saw turns out to be mag or not. You cant beat the price. I would have bought it for that and smiled ear to ear. Heck i have paid more then that for metal cased poulans of less cc's. WTG good find.

How can you guys be so sure it is a magnum? There are no name plates onthe saw saying so. Do you guys know something I do not?
The magnum was a 72cc version the 038 was 61cc.

Obviously the bore will tell the tale but by the information that has been provided (pics) it appears to be a 038M as noted by several members. The pics were the only criteria provided. If it is not a 038M and a early model then there have been some parts changed out.

Bill

Last edited:
Back