Can you prune an apple tree to discourage fruit production?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tracyballard

tracyballard

ArboristSite Lurker
On the side of our house by the street (corner lot) we have a huge green apple tree that is at least 25 feet tall with a 14 inch diameter trunk that drops tons of green apples every year in June and July. These apples can be pretty huge but don't have much taste, and we don't use them, they end up on the sidewalk and in the street and make a huge mess, attracting flies. Is there a time of year or method that I could really trim this tree up and cut down on fruit production next year? My wife wants me to cut it down, but it's a pretty nice tree, and the biggest one on our property.

Adkpk

Adkpk

Addicted to ArboristSite
Pruning, I don't think so. Pruning it hard might limit the production but not stop it, unless you snipped off the flowers when they're out. Might be a chemical but I don't know what it would be. Good luck. I like the look of apples too.

JeffL

JeffL

ArboristSite Guru
I believe its Safari you can use to sterilize the flowers and inhibit fruit production. Supposed to work on oaks for acorns, maples for the samaras, etc. If I'm remembering correctly, its real use is as an insecticide.

tracyballard

tracyballard

ArboristSite Lurker
I don't really want to stop fruit production, just slow it down or cut it in half or so. I've heard you don't prune at certain times because you might hurt the fruit production, maybe that's just an old wives tale?

Latest posts