can you re flock an air filter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boutselis

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
If the filter body and the mesh are fine but the flocking is all gone could new flocking be put on the mesh?

If the filter body and the mesh are fine but the flocking is all gone could new flocking be put on the mesh?

Good question ... I ran across this same issue the other day.

I got a really nice like new older Makita and the filter was near new.
Pus some cleaner on it like I always do ... and "flocking be gone"

Ruined a perfectly good filter.
Nothing that a coffee filter and rubber band couldn't fix ... but dang I like my stuff to be perfect.

Dont think so.

If it is a 2 piece filter, you could split it and insert some of the green foam from a mower filter.

That is a good idea but mine have the choke flap in them in place of the choke being on the carb body.

I'm gonna see if it will work. I was hoping for some suggestion of a material hat could be put over the mesh and held on with some type of spray adhesive. Or something to that effect.

When I was racing in the California desert there was considerable dust. I used to take a 'Chux' cloth and soak in engine oil and then wrap it around my K&N filter with a couple of rubber bands. I could pull it off after the first day of riding and the K&N would still be clean.

Something like that may work, especially as a pre-filter.

Or you might just get lucky to find a NOS filter.

I happened to ask my dealer if he had an airfilter assembly for an 028.

He had 2. I bought them both. He said the've been sitting on his shelf for 20 years. I got one for my 028AVEQ Super, and one for my Dad's 028AVEQ Wood Boos. :)

Here is the new next to the old...

169750d1296079464-028-filter-jpg

Gary

or you might just get lucky to find a nos filter.

He had 2. I bought them both. He said the've been sitting on his shelf for 20 years. I got one for my 028aveq super, and one for my dad's 028aveq wood boos. :)

here is the new next to the old...

gary

:laugh:

For something flat like your average Mac 10-10 filter I figure to use a swatch of microfiber blanket material and the wifey's hot glue gun and affix it over the mesh.

"Honey, how did that hole get in our bedspread?"

:biggrinbounce2:

Or you might just get lucky to find a NOS filter.

He had 2. I bought them both. He said the've been sitting on his shelf for 20 years. I got one for my 028AVEQ Super, and one for my Dad's 028AVEQ Wood Boos. :)

Here is the new next to the old...

Gary

I have a pile of those I got when I bought some stock from a retiring dealer......been on my shelf for only 5 years but most likely another 15 on his!
So I have a bunch available, should anybody be looking for some. AS member shipping only deal.

There's no cheap, easy and really effect way to fix a flocked air filter. I had an 042 in last year that needed a new air filter, the OEM filters are obsolete, and even used ones on Ebay were going for 30$. So a 99 cent pack of ankle high pantyhose, and some a little alterations, and then I cut up Briggs foam filter for inside the cage of the filter. I showed the guy who owned the saw he chuckled, and said that's some grade A cobbing. But in most cases if price is an issue there are cheaper aftermarket alternatives for Stihl and Husky saws, and can be had for 10-15$.

Back