Canadian 270 chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boydc

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My first post here. Does anyone know something about these saws. I've done a bit of a search online but haven't found much as yet. I've seen one for sale and only know the name of it at this stage. It looks like maybe an 18" bar and does the 270 mean it would be 70cc?

Last edited:
I have no clue what saw that is. At first I thought it was a Husqvarna mod. 90.
If it would not be too much trubble, could you post pic from the sides.
one from the front/left, and one from the rear/right.

Mange

Go to Mike Acres site. He has everything on them. Power Machinery built saws in Vancouver until I believe the 70's. The last ones appeared as Shil 1629 and 1630 models.

Canadian 270;

Well what do you know. A grandson to my PM Rocket. Gypo Logger, you got parts for this one? Hey, everyone take care. Lewis.

Forums

Thanks for that all. Forums seem to be a good part of the internet. Very helpful. This saw is on an auction site and I like the 95cc part. It would make a good companion for my McCulloch 250 and Pioneer farmsaw. I wonder if anyone has parts and bars etc. for them if needed. Will keep an eye out for that.

Its a good picture. I was watching a video this afternoon. True story about two man-eating lions in Africa and I think the auction for the saw finished while I was watching that. Will check that now.

I recall working on a few Canadians all i remember now is that there where a few different colour schemes dipicting different sizes red cowl / white body, Black cowl/ yellow body.
A one-eyed Mac Man
Bob Cornwell..........Australia

finally an excuse to post something

Howdy Boydc and others,
After many months of being a fly on the wall, your enquiry has finally prompted me to actually sign up and post something. I use a couple of rebuilt Canadien 270s for weekend firewood cutting. They are heavy old boneshakers, but seem to have enough power to pull a 24 inch bar through anything i come across. Pistons/rings are available new from JP in Australia. New carb kits are easy to get, and weeks of searching have finally yielded new aircleaners (off Detroit compressors i think) which fit with minimal modification. I have a couple of questions about these saws too...
Any old timers who used these when they were new? How did they compare with others at the time? Pioneer 650 etc.
I've used Mike's site a bit but no data on power rating and operating rpm for the 270. Anyone know?
I also read in an earlier thread how the design for the 270 has its origins in a Pioneer RA when IEL's engineers chose to remain in Vancouver and switch to PM when IEL went out of town.
For those of you like me, who are not from North America, the Canadien with an 'e' is the French spelling (at least that what a Canadian told me when I asked)
Anyway, sorry to ramble on (specially on a first post). Great site by the way. I've learn't heaps from it.
Later
timcut

My first post here. Does anyone know something about these saws. I've done a bit of a search online but haven't found much as yet. I've seen one for sale and only know the name of it at this stage. It looks like maybe an 18" bar and does the 270 mean it would be 70cc?
Also my first post. I purchased a 270 new in 1966 for general use and firewood cutting and still have it. these saws were popular about this time in Australia as the more powerful Sthils weren't yet available. The 270 was used for professional falling for milling timber and various farm uses. The one I have stays in the shed most of the time now , as I mostly use a smaller Homelite because of the weight, but even after a year or so in the shed it will always start after a few pulls. The 270 was a very reliable and honest saw, if a bit on the heavy side. The automatic oiler with manual override worked very well and is easily adjustable via a screw and locknut on the front of the saw next to the log claws. It operates with crankcase pressure and has a foam filter inside the adjusting cap.

Hey I just picked one of these bad boys up....Red top 1962 I believe only missing the Spike. Haven't done anything to it yet, gonna strip it down abit and clean/refurbish it. Does anyone know what these things cost when they were new, and what there worth now, Not selling it just wondering? Thanks for the read all..

Hi mate don't know what they are worth but would be good to find out. I just got my 270 out of the back of the shed today and degreased it, might get it fired up and give it a run on the weekend. Good to hear that they are still around.

Back