Canadian Dealer selling Stihl on the Net

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Splunk said:
The last time I went into my local stihl dealer looking for RSC they asked me if that was a new part #. None of them had ever heard of such a thing. This was 2 weeks ago.:dizzy:

Some parts of the country (By Stihl Regions) may not have it yet... We're still getting a mix of RM2 and RSC3 with the saws. When the RM2 is gone (YES!!!) that's it... and it will all be RSC3 (and RSC)

Big Woody said:
Many of you have experienced the glazed over look in their faces when you ask even the most basic questions.
I must be lucky because my local dealer seems to know quite a bit... but his mechanic blew up an 026 I was about to buy. Now I'm scared to take anything there for service!

Hedge Apple, Hedge, Osage Orange. Good firewood, a bear to cut.

Yes dealers and their mechanics are all morons and stooges, I agree %100.

Osage Orange in my neck of the woods is called bo-dark which is spelled boisdarc. Very tough wood. Is a good wood to make long bows out of. We used to use them as cow punching sticks because they didn't break easily when you had to hit an ornery cow up side the head to get her to do what you wanted.

Lakeside53 said:
Ask the dealer for their Bar and Chain manual - it's in their Dealer Binder... has all the pictures and descriptions they/you need. If they don't have it in stock (few stock every type of chain... even we don't) they can get it in short order... even one loop at a time. Just ask them to order it for you...

In an effort to provide a balanced view, I'm pleased to report that I finally saw that book today.

Walked into yet a fourth dealership today. Had never been there and forgot that I had seen it in the dealer locator. Like anyone else around here, this place sells Stihl as just a part of the business. The place is actually a construction supply place. This was to be my last attempt before ordering chain from one of the site sponsors.

Saw nothing but RM2 and I guess it's PM or something like that, also. Okay so far - it's to be expected down here. The fella' comes from behind the counter and asks if I need help and I ask if they sell anything other than what I see, and he says "No, but I can order anything. What are you looking for?" and I say RSC3 and his next question was "What gauge?" and with that I knew life was once again good. Mention gauge to anyone else around here and they think you're looking for shotgun shells. Pulls out the book and one minute later we identify my desired chain as 33RSC84 (I actually knew this already, but could never get anyone else to listen). It was too easy.

This fella' was really locked-on. Price wasn't bad either, as far as that sort of thing goes. Funny he was able to do all this without asking me what model saw I have. I'm convinced everyone else asks simply as a stall tactic.

What does this have to do with some guy in Canada selling Stihl on the net? I don't know the answer to that.

(run-on sentences and bad sentence structure simply to save space)

Asking what model saw is not really a stall tactic for me. When I have
worked at a Stihl dealership, most of the time the customer does not
know what chain he needs, and moreover he does not remember the saw
or bar length. It is usually a detective game to try to figure out what he
has, so he does not buy the wrong chain, try to use it, ruin it, bring it back
mad, etc.
I agree, many people in the industry do not know their product, even on up to the distributor level.

NovaMan said:
I must be lucky because my local dealer seems to know quite a bit... but his mechanic blew up an 026 I was about to buy. Now I'm scared to take anything there for service!

A shame to kill a 026, but if you want a dealer to test something before you buy it, some gear isn't going to pass the test. There will be other saws, or maybe even this one will come back to life with a service.

sawn_penn said:
A shame to kill a 026, but if you want a dealer to test something before you buy it, some gear isn't going to pass the test. There will be other saws, or maybe even this one will come back to life with a service.
I think he fixed it and sold it on eBay.

Fish said:
It is usually a detective game to try to figure out what he
has, so he does not buy the wrong chain, try to use it, ruin it, bring it back
mad, etc.
So, if you put a chain on the wrong saw, the chain will become mad? ;)

Back