Cannon or Granberg?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twoclones

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I'm ready to buy a 72" double ended bar for milling. I was surprised to learn that Granberg is asking quite a bit more money for their 72" bar than Baileys is asking for a Cannon bar of the same size.

Is the Granberg bar really better (for the money) than a Cannon bar?

I bought the Granberg bar and am anxiously awaiting it's arrival. Now for .063 / .404 ripping chain.
Sound simple?

I thought I could buy a 25' roll of Woodland Pro chain to save some money and get 2 chain loops. Wrong :( The 25' roll has 370 drive links which is 18 links short of making 2 loops. Looks like it's cheaper to buy loops unless buying a 100' roll.

All setup and ready to mill...
Using 13/16" unistrut, I modified my Granberg mill to use my new 6' bar. Shown here with 2 x MS-660 power heads and one aux oiler, I have a 58" milling width.

I'm using 3/4" emt for the handle which required opening the hole up a tiny bit with a sanding drum in the Dremel and the smoothing out the emt with my little belt sander. I found that a piece of the unistrut clamped to the bar holds it straight (otherwise it can sag) while clamping the mill to the bar. Rather that run around looking for the unistrut next time, I bolted it to the frame work for storage and as an additional handle.

The milling chain I bought from Baileys is ground like milling chain but has all full teeth rather than the raker teeth I have on my other milling chains. Also, the bar was supposed to require 194 teeth and that's what I ordered. I haven't counted the teeth but I had to remove 5 drive links to get the chain to tighten up properly. I'm using a 7 tooth sprocket on each end. Could that have made a 5 drive link difference?

For reference, the photo is in the back of my Ford F-250 with an 8' bed and 2' tool box at the front.

FF1_iS3a4I7P_NhvVLIVIMb02Bu4swLfoAi8-LHQKdI13N9WKOLqn9hmXRhGfHWBzLmRvM4XcBhEbkk7WBrfrzTbaESoRvB0QCBC_CUQsF3S-HN--6YPbAGDX6qQhpqIgEVRwNrw94Sizxm0Qvy5P2C8mba9mgw5PA4vxSaVQnkAUzC5zABempEWuAhOE2HI6q0yqy4fRGhdU9GyVZeoZidKeVLN2hKttOOsFh0d6Gth9vdO4oBeDGwxTCNjt1VkecpXnuEt9jjBcd_X9CjsAdYoxlklySMqrgo3ImAbUSyvPCiPv8yEvDT9PW2iTr06kbZaIiDeOhrU0L1Jt3KWmmUznx06WC0sUcGjhLT-1GeskNcJDRtQaF7qjH9nHnYSwYLxv-a08ngHdQZ-0YCBwbpSo5QZuX1it1iqxpYawmqXFk1sJZko56djCAZfjK7lfjBx23lXLwHN5ShYYBa0iZaDb8ZfjPDLt3WvAne5dhhoSSp25l6OqSg1YYUWQ6b_lrww2MkooI_H4l1nijQ7qD0e-MXD7Se2ZE0ABUGtS0nPkaY7Nd7sx3rnas1cin20mcNMDtqmPdftL9c20OX3e1okr2c4bDk=w1361-h681-no

So it never really occurred to me before, but I now have two 084s in running condition. Should I be running double ended? What does it get one?

Back