can't get it started -help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
moondoggy

moondoggy

ArboristSite Lurker
hey all
poulan 2150 16"
was running great, cutting up a tree on the ground, went to trim off a 1 inch thick branch almost at full rev...and it stalled the instant i hit the twig!! wth?
cant get it started, been almost 2 weeks of 'futsing for 10 minutes and quitting.
NORMALly I pull choke, prime twice. pull cord 3 times. choke off. prime 3 times - instant start up for years.

what i notice is the 'prime bulb' doesnt really fill with gas liek it used to.only a tiny drop. so i figured i'd prime more.
with choke off, i primed the bulb 12 times in a row, it started second pull and ran for 3 seconds and died again. - if i prime the heck out of the bulb it i run for a second or so.
-ALSO, when i open the gas cap now, I have spray out 2 ft wide and up.. lots of pressure build up in the tank. i sometimes get some psst.. but this is crazy..not right.

any help? i want my dang saw back.

Dadatwins

Dadatwins

Addicted to ArboristSite
If the primer bulb is not damaged and leaking and all the fuel lines are intact, pull out the carb and check the diaphram. I had one that had split the diaphram and did just what you descibe. Good luck.

cjcocn

cjcocn

Tree Freak
I'm no tech, but it sure sounds like one of your fuel/priming lines is buggered (probably one that runs from the bulb to the carb).

The spray would be from that same condition - you were pumping and the pressure had no where to go so built up in your tank.

HTH

moondoggy

moondoggy

ArboristSite Lurker
yea no leaks... i soo didnt want to take this apart, and if the diaphram was split would i get such a build up of pressure in the tank? i dont understand the 'diaphram' system at all. not really sure.. its just a few sheets of rubber like bladder behind the carb?

also is this right gas flow?
tank - bulb- carb
the air filter is moist
the bulb is in good condition.
and inflates back up no problem, just with a drop of gas, not a squish.
guess i should try to chk the lines. and find that manual.

thanks for responding!

Last edited:
huskydave

huskydave

Addicted to ArboristSite
I'm no tech, but it sure sounds like one of your fuel/priming lines is buggered (probably one that runs from the bulb to the carb).

The spray would be from that same condition - you were pumping and the pressure had no where to go so built up in your tank.

HTH
Yes your primer sucks gas straight from the tank before it gets to the carb. Change the fuel filter and inspect the fuel lines. You should change the fuel filter once a year.

Last edited:
scottr
yea no leaks... i soo didnt want to take this apart, and if the diaphram was split would i get such a build up of pressure in the tank? i dont understand the 'diaphram' system at all. not really sure.. its just a few sheets of rubber like bladder behind the carb?

also is this right gas flow?
tank - bulb- carb
the air filter is moist
the bulb is in good condition.
and inflates back up no problem, just with a drop of gas, not a squish.
guess i should try to chk the lines. and find that manual.

thanks for responding!

I'm with Huskydave, the primer bulb is suppost to fill up with gas. It sounds like your gas filter is clogged or the fuel line is clogged. If you want to see an IPL of your saw to see diaphram in the carb you can look it up on http://www.outdoordistributors.com

moondoggy

moondoggy

ArboristSite Lurker
thanks guys, i drained the gas, when i push the prime air is whosshed into the tank. be that normal or not. if thats the case perhaps there is a clog after prime bulb.
i looked at that site, thankyou, but i cant locat the fuel filter on the spec. is it the white cylinder that sites at the end of the fuel line hanging inthe tank?
that draws the gas up to the bulb right?

Dadatwins

Dadatwins

Addicted to ArboristSite
thanks guys, i drained the gas, when i push the prime air is whosshed into the tank. be that normal or not. if thats the case perhaps there is a clog after prime bulb.
i looked at that site, thankyou, but i cant locat the fuel filter on the spec. is it the white cylinder that sites at the end of the fuel line hanging inthe tank?
that draws the gas up to the bulb right?

Gas is drawn into the carb and held by the diaphram in the carb. Some fuel will bypass and fill the primer bulb. If the diaphram is damaged the carb losses suction and the fuel will not pull up, you are only pumping air into the tank, that is why you are getting the tank pressurized. 2 screws remove the carb, you can order the rebuild kit from a bunch of sources. Unit either has a walbro or zama carb. You will probably want to change the carb base gasket when you do the rebuild also. Identify the carb and someone can put up a IPL of it here.

MAG58

MAG58

ArboristSite Guru
If noting else help, look at the intake and carb and see if they are loose cos this can happen on this type of saw's, happen to my Partner 420 (Poulan) and it was acting very similar to what you described
attachment.php

moondoggy

moondoggy

ArboristSite Lurker
Gas is drawn into the carb and held by the diaphram in the carb. Some fuel will bypass and fill the primer bulb. If the diaphram is damaged the carb losses suction and the fuel will not pull up, you are only pumping air into the tank, that is why you are getting the tank pressurized. 2 screws remove the carb, you can order the rebuild kit from a bunch of sources. Unit either has a walbro or zama carb. You will probably want to change the carb base gasket when you do the rebuild also. Identify the carb and someone can put up a IPL of it here.

ah...ok thank you.... gulp, hope it goes back together. i'm handy but tend to have extra parts. but i gotta get this running. and know its not too compliated, just never did it before.
I also have my dads Sears Explorer 1 i'd love to get started one day.
but i need my poulan.

moondoggy

moondoggy

ArboristSite Lurker
If noting else help, look at the intake and carb and see if they are loose cos this can happen on this type of saw's, happen to my Partner 420 (Poulan) and it was acting very similar to what you described
attachment.php

hey, that sounds like the simplest thing, thats where i'm going to start thank you.

is there a way to test the fuel filter? or should i just replace?
and i assume if the diaphram is busted its will be obvious right?

scotclayshooter

scotclayshooter

Addicted to ArboristSite
well thats after i prime it almost a dozen straight times.
each time the bulb holds like a drop of gas, rather then the normal... spit full.

Had this happen on a stihl fs250 strimmer it was a tiny little filter in the carb blocked. The primer draws fuel through the carb and pumps it back into the tank but as a closed system it shouldnt pressurize the tank

MAG58

MAG58

ArboristSite Guru
attachment.php

Had one Partner 351 (Poulan 34cc) whit the same problem today, carb was loose and one bolt on the intake, repaired it and now it's up and running again
attachment.php

:greenchainsaw:

moondoggy

moondoggy

ArboristSite Lurker
OK GUYS, sorry been so busy with the kids.
finally got some things done, opened it up, i blew out the fuel filter still clear and white and all the hoses, they are all clear, almost puked but they are clear, just a little thinner tube as they get to the carb.. but clear
still can not get gas in the prime bulb, or kicked over.
guess i have to check the diaphram next.
so pissed, gotta start harvesting for nextr year.

moondoggy

moondoggy

ArboristSite Lurker
you right, on a side note i left the follow up info on that other thread.

I did get the saw running- my local ACE is a poulan repair place, (setauket LI) great guy too. after talking w/him on the phone about getting a new diaphram he said he had it, and new carb if needed, to just bring it in.
i brought in the old diaphram and a little silver disc in a baggy( the disc fell out of the saw when i took the diaphram out... figured i'd just put it back in when i replaced the diaphram)
well, it was only an hour later and he explained that silver disc should never have fallen out on me, and THAT was my problem all along, diaphram was fine.
just this "valve" i think he called it. $30 bucks for his time and I was beaming.
runs great.
thanks all