Can't have the box ? You can't be serious.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, I own a few new Stihl saws / older saws / blowers / pole saws. I just went yesterday and bought a PP-800 and a HT-131 and for the first time, asked for the box they came in. I was immediately told that will NEVER happen. That shocked me somewhat and I asked WHY ? I'm buying expensive tools and I can't have the box ? That seems more than ridiculous to me. The owner of that dealership jumped into the conversation and stated that if they let even one box go out of the door, they stood to loose their dealership ? WTF, are you kidding ? It's just a damn box.

So, can someone please enlighten / educate me as to why Stihl will not let a customer have the box their equipment came in ?
Last year ( I think ) I bought a 261C and didn't think about why I didn't get the box. In the years past with all my Stihl purchases, I didn't think about it much either.
This time I decided to ask for the box since the girl on the phone told me they had the HT-131 new in the box when I called to check on stock at the local dealer. Not to mention that I'm paying MSRP no matter what dealer you buy from, just give me the damn box that you clearly have.

Am I to believe that the dealers have a big pile of boxes in their back rooms that get sent back to Stihl or do they get burnt by the dealer.
You always get the ID bar code tag with model and serial numbers on it that they cut off the box the item came in.
I googled " Why wont a Stihl dealer give you the box your new equipment came in " and came up with nothing relevant.
Then I tried to find a picture of a Stihl box of any kind and can't find one. What the actual hell is going on here ?

I'm sure going to be interested in the reason for this ridiculous policy.

I LOVE Stilh products and HATE the company at the same time.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

If I have posted this in the wrong forum, please let me know where I should post it.
thanks
I always get a box with my blown stihl saws that get destroyed I’ve had about 3 boxes I can post a picture of one if you want but I’ll never buy another stihl saw again after a brand new 661c split it’s crank after 3 months and one day stihl said I’m a logger and should be able to buy a new 1300$ saw every 3 months needless to say I don’t buy there piles of trash anymore.
Go to Husqvarna. That's what I did Husqvarna is nowhere near as arrogant and I found that I like their products better
all I buy is husqvarna and echo now and they last twice as long.

I just found out today that echo made an extendable 12' pole saw that's $599. I wish I had known that yesterday. I could have saved over $200. Unfortunately, the echo is also 17 lbs. Thats the same weight as the stihl 131. 17lbs doesn't sound like much until you are in your 60's like me and you have that weight out there 12' away and its got leverage against you because of physics. I love how it works and hate what it does to me.
Echo makes an awesome x series pole saw.

I always get a box with my blown stihl saws that get destroyed I’ve had about 3 boxes I can post a picture of one if you want but I’ll never buy another stihl saw again after a brand new 661c split it’s crank after 3 months and one day stihl said I’m a logger and should be able to buy a new 1300$ saw every 3 months needless to say I don’t buy there piles of trash anymore.

all I buy is husqvarna and echo now and they last twice as long.
How many stills did you burn up?

I couldn’t stand waiting for the guy to find the key to the saws at home depot or lowes…

Here is a selection of boxes for your viewing pleasure. The older 372XP box is from 2005.

Attachments

• B0B2630D-DDDD-4506-993E-F43D73B3F928.jpeg
    B0B2630D-DDDD-4506-993E-F43D73B3F928.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • B007976C-9B37-4AD1-A2EF-3BA60B12EB4D.jpeg
    B007976C-9B37-4AD1-A2EF-3BA60B12EB4D.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 148474B3-4D54-4F52-8011-4A8A29C14328.jpeg
    148474B3-4D54-4F52-8011-4A8A29C14328.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
I think the dealers are full of crap and that Stihl could care less what happens to the boxes they use for shipping.
Went to my local Stihl dealer the other day, and dumpster dived. I sell re-conditioned saws, and having a box makes for a more pleasurable presentation. The tech I deal with asked me for a wish list.....so now I can get boxes, for specific models, whenever. I bring a box of fresh pastries for the service counter........

I mentioned this silly thread, and he asked a simple question. Who cares? Its a box? They are free trash?

How many stills did you burn up?

I couldn’t stand waiting for the guy to find the key to the saws at home depot or lowes…
2 crushed one 462c connecting rod busted and a 661c crank spiral split stihl makes junk now the old stuff was better when they started making strato saws is when it went to sht.

Went to my local Stihl dealer the other day, and dumpster dived. I sell re-conditioned saws, and having a box makes for a more pleasurable presentation. The tech I deal with asked me for a wish list.....so now I can get boxes, for specific models, whenever. I bring a box of fresh pastries for the service counter........

I mentioned this silly thread, and he asked a simple question. Who cares? Its a box? They are free trash?
They always give your busted saw they can’t fix back in one at the saw shop I use lol

They always give your busted saw they can’t fix back in one at the saw shop I use lol
At the shop I worked at we'd slice a bar oil case down so it was 3-5" tall and store busted saws in that. If we returned a saw it was reassembled before the owner picked it up.

Wished I had a new Stihl Box for my very OLD Stihl saws.
I've new bought a new Stihl saw from a Stihl dealer. I like my old used Stihls that I repair myself.

If I had a new Stihl box
I might just put my OLD raggedy Craftsman/Poulan in the Stihl box seal it up and take it down to the Stihl dealer and ask what happened here? (is this maybe a Stihl clone?)

I know this is an old video BUT it does bring up even more questions. I did not get any box for any part of the HT131.
Since I'm no saw pro, I have no idea what the bar part number is or the chain part number or profile that came with it.
It would damn sure be nice to have that info since I can't look at a bar and chain and know what it is.

I especially like the part where it clearly comes with safety glasses. When I was paying for the saw, the lady taking my money asked me
if I wanted some Stihl candy. I told her no I'm a diabetic and she said " how about a free pair of safety glasses " ? I said sure. LMFAO
Since I already paid for the glasses, I might as well have you make me think you are doing me a solid by charging me MSRP and giving me presents.

It just confirms what I believe about most Stihl dealers. They have a big container full of safety glasses on the counter for sale.
Huh, I wonder where they come from ? I certainly could be wrong and maybe they don't come with safety glasses. But it damn sure would be nice to get the chain box / bar box so I knew the part numbers. Before you say I could just write them down, a box on the shelf is way better.

Yukon stihl says:
I have a new MS 241 in its sealed box

Put it on Flea bay and send us a notice.

Leave it SEALED up.

ADDS new meaning to the term, buying a pig in a poke.
Being a certified stihl mechanic. I can give you the goods on the masterbation over a cardboard box with the Stihl insignia.
Part of being a Stihl dealer, you are covered by their insurance. They pay for the lawyers in your court case.
ANY Stihl product, when sold has to be demonstrated, on how to use to the customer. YOU CAN'T DO THAT WHEN ITS STILL IN THE BOX. Any dealer caught selling products in the box, weather it be on eBay or any other way is stripped of their dealership withing a few weeks. If you find someone selling a Stihl product still in the box. It is most likely a stolen unit. When you take it to be serviced and they run the numbers they call you and say it's ready and instead of you picking up your saw. The cops pick you up.. Quite a few tilmes over the years in my case.
Most small saws come 2 to a box. NONE OF THEM HAVE THE BAR INSTALLED. To be a dealer,you assemble the saw and instruct the customer on how to use it and be safe aside from service tips.
I had no issues giving the box away. But it didn't have the saw in it. Think of Christmas time. Sweetie wants to buy hubby a saw. So after she paid, I gave the box to her and said simply have your husband come and pick it up so I / we can instruct safe usage. So you don't drop start it at wide open throttle your cahonies off for example. Stihl has folks scouring ebay and the likes for equipment in boxes. Because it's most likely stolen.
Most people don't know but write down your damn serial number. If some asshat steals your saw and you report it, and dipwad takes it to the dealer. You get your saw and he gets free ride from the cops.
I had recovered stolen saws for insurance rip offs and regular saws that were ripped off from the owners buy the run of the mill thief.
You really want the box. Ask them

If you want Stihl boxes for what ever. Check the dumpster.

Stihl will drop millions for lawyer fees to protect a good standing dealer. When you buy a saw a lowes and the chain is on backwards and you ruin the saw trying to cut with it. See how far you get besides a new saw. If you get hurt. Your screwed!,!
Hope what I said puts this thread to bed because there is a very good reason for everything if you take some time and do a little research you can generally find a valid answer..

I Wil in time post about an entire trailer that was full of stihl trimmers that was stolen and how they got caught. It's a riot.
Be safe people and hope well to everyone.

Echo makes great products also and there's always farmertec.
You "love Stihl products", but you're frustrated over not getting a box, so you're instead considering buying a Farmertec?? Okay, good luck with that. Please come back to tell us how that goes.
This box thing has to be one of the pettiest things I have ever seen a company do. Dealers making up BS lies about the box and on and on...
Stihl is the one being petty? You've turned this whole box thing into a full-blown conspiracy. @wrenchit is a certified Stihl mechanic, and gave a perfectly reasonable explanation to all of this in post #118 of this thread. Does his explanation seem that unreasonable to you?

I think the dealers are full of crap and that Stihl could care less what happens to the boxes they use for shipping.
No the dealers are not full of crap. As long as they can teach you how to use the saw you bought properly to cover their ass with Stihl's dealer contract I'm sure you can empty their dumpster and take as many as you want!

Latest posts

Back