Can't have the box ? You can't be serious.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No the dealers are not full of crap. As long as they can teach you how to use the saw you bought properly to cover their ass with Stihl's dealer contract I'm sure you can empty their dumpster and take as many as you want!
Or possibly the dealers misinterpreted Stihl's instructions? Or the individual dealers figure that if they don't give the customers the box that they can always claim to Stihl corporate, "look, ask the customer for the box to their product, and if they can't produce it, it shows that we unboxed the product before giving it to the customer and did our job of demonstrating the product to them upon purchasing"?

Being a certified stihl mechanic. I can give you the goods on the masterbation over a cardboard box with the Stihl insignia.
Part of being a Stihl dealer, you are covered by their insurance. They pay for the lawyers in your court case.
ANY Stihl product, when sold has to be demonstrated, on how to use to the customer. YOU CAN'T DO THAT WHEN ITS STILL IN THE BOX. Any dealer caught selling products in the box, weather it be on eBay or any other way is stripped of their dealership withing a few weeks. If you find someone selling a Stihl product still in the box. It is most likely a stolen unit. When you take it to be serviced and they run the numbers they call you and say it's ready and instead of you picking up your saw. The cops pick you up.. Quite a few tilmes over the years in my case.
Most small saws come 2 to a box. NONE OF THEM HAVE THE BAR INSTALLED. To be a dealer,you assemble the saw and instruct the customer on how to use it and be safe aside from service tips.
I had no issues giving the box away. But it didn't have the saw in it. Think of Christmas time. Sweetie wants to buy hubby a saw. So after she paid, I gave the box to her and said simply have your husband come and pick it up so I / we can instruct safe usage. So you don't drop start it at wide open throttle your cahonies off for example. Stihl has folks scouring ebay and the likes for equipment in boxes. Because it's most likely stolen.
Most people don't know but write down your damn serial number. If some asshat steals your saw and you report it, and dipwad takes it to the dealer. You get your saw and he gets free ride from the cops.
I had recovered stolen saws for insurance rip offs and regular saws that were ripped off from the owners buy the run of the mill thief.
You really want the box. Ask them

If you want Stihl boxes for what ever. Check the dumpster.

Stihl will drop millions for lawyer fees to protect a good standing dealer. When you buy a saw a lowes and the chain is on backwards and you ruin the saw trying to cut with it. See how far you get besides a new saw. If you get hurt. Your screwed!,!
Hope what I said puts this thread to bed because there is a very good reason for everything if you take some time and do a little research you can generally find a valid answer..

I Wil in time post about an entire trailer that was full of stihl trimmers that was stolen and how they got caught. It's a riot.
Be safe people and hope well to everyone.
Ok the paper clip arrest.
This kid came in at least once a week for me to fix something. Mom was there each time as he wasn't old enough to even drive.
A little history.
I ran the shop at the local Ace Hardware and fixed pretty much anything , being third gen mechanic and going from small engines to Caterpillar for the big bucks all was great until the accident.
Losing the use of my left arm wasn't in my things to do as I got older but here we are.
So I apply for a mechanics job, WEARING A CAST....lol
I was asked what can you do? My response was give me a kid with two good hands and ill fix anything you can fit in the door or the parking lot. I don't care if it has steel tracks or a cutting chain.
Two weeks later I was called in to be hired.
The next saga...
"We cant pay what you made in CT. so are offer is $12 an hour (early 90's). My response was I cant work for that because I really need $5.30 an hour to be able to keep the Medicare to pay for the ongoing surgeries to save my arm.
I was hired..
My dad being the retired head mechanic for the state of CT, and my grandad being head of Ford Service for 45 years, I wasn't destined to be a plumber.

OK back to the kid and the paper clip scenario
The kid brings in various things for me to fix. Mom was there ,and he had a goal, Buy a house from a paper clip.
I fixed bicycles, heaters, pretty much anything, depending on the season.
A kid that had a goal and a dream combined. (man you don't see that anymore).
OK here comes a Stihl MS250 from the kid.
It has a on and off ,TOGGLE switch drilled into and installed the Air filter box.
I might add that cant reach it with your thumb in emergency.
He got it off Craig's list and wanted it right because he was hot on trading it for a top dollar bicycle.
For those that don't know the paper clip thing as when someone starts with a paper clip and trades up.
Pencil to pen ...ETC.... Motorcycle ,Cars, ..you get the drift. And wind up with a house as their goal.

OK back to the Stihl chainsaw.
All the numbers were removed so , visually inspecting it was a no go. I knew it was a 250 by looking at it, but Stihl , like everyone else ,updates parts to be EPA compliant and fix their own screwups.
So I strip the saw, unbeknownst to most . OEM serial number is on the block. So I put it in Stihl"s website and it HOT! Its a stolen chainsaw.
I call Stihl and get the number of the dealer that sold it and get the details about the theft.
Close to 80 grand theft in one fell swoop.

Now MY kid customer in no way jacked 80 grand worth of equipment on a trailer from Charlotte almost 3 hours away with no car or license.
So I had to call his mom... Told her the truth that his paper clip endeavor for 3 years was to an end because the chainsaw was stolen and he wasn't getting it back.
Long story shirt,
The cops didn't arrest him because he had receipts for EVERTYTHING he had traded and bought, including the guy he got the saw from.
Come to find out the guy that sold the saw (this is 7 years later, BTW) was friends withy a guy that had worked for the landscaping company that has lost over 80 grand worth of equipment on a huge trailer that was stolen..
They all went to jail
The owner of the company that had the theft of the saw called me , told me to rebuild the saw to brand new and he would pay for it , give it to the kid.
With all the crap on the news these days, there are still things that happen that are not horrific.
WRITE YOUR SERIAL NUMBERS DOWN.
The common thief can peel off a few labels and butcher up the serial number stamped on the housing but they are not going to tear the saw to the block to remove etched serial numbers that are stamped in the crankcase!
Ed.

Here it is...
One of three New in Box saws i have.
Got it from a rental company
Care to give me the serial numbers that are on the box , and I can find out WHY you got Sthil equipment unopened.
Here is how it is. any dealer that goes belly up, Stihl repossesses all equipment that is BOXED. any thing unboxed they get sued in court for non payment because its been opened. According to their dealer rules and contract ,NO equipment is to be sold in the box unless you are government where as Stihl sends a representative to instruct the end users on the use and safety of the equipment.
If you choose not to its ok, its your prerogative.
What most people do not know is that there is serious **** with two strokes. they are considered dirty and the EPA is all over that.
$17.500.00 fine for removing a spark arrestor screen.
About 15 years ago this guy come in wanting to buy spark arrestor screens, I asked which model, he said I want them all at $5 a pop, NO PROBLEM.
Come to find out they had gone to the other huge saw dealer and cleaned him out also. I think it was Asplundh tree got nailed for, I don't know how many saws for 17.5000.00 EACH. they had 24 hours to be in compliance.
Anyways, about the saws that are still in the box. If you would be kind enough to give me the serial numbers that are on the box. Ill make a phone call and see why.
If you say GFYS, ill, just refer this post to Stihl and because they are national and aside from their own enforcement, they are quite known as friends by the FBI in the USA, I'm sure Canada has an equivalent
As I SAID, NO EQUIPMENT IS TO BE SOLD IN THE BOX, Per Stihl marketing rules period.
And I am sorry to say ,if you do in fact get Busted for this, Posting things that may be stolen on the internet is just stupid.

Being a certified stihl mechanic. I can give you the goods on the masterbation over a cardboard box with the Stihl insignia.
Part of being a Stihl dealer, you are covered by their insurance. They pay for the lawyers in your court case.
ANY Stihl product, when sold has to be demonstrated, on how to use to the customer. YOU CAN'T DO THAT WHEN ITS STILL IN THE BOX. Any dealer caught selling products in the box, weather it be on eBay or any other way is stripped of their dealership withing a few weeks. If you find someone selling a Stihl product still in the box. It is most likely a stolen unit. When you take it to be serviced and they run the numbers they call you and say it's ready and instead of you picking up your saw. The cops pick you up.. Quite a few tilmes over the years in my case.
Most small saws come 2 to a box. NONE OF THEM HAVE THE BAR INSTALLED. To be a dealer,you assemble the saw and instruct the customer on how to use it and be safe aside from service tips.
I had no issues giving the box away. But it didn't have the saw in it. Think of Christmas time. Sweetie wants to buy hubby a saw. So after she paid, I gave the box to her and said simply have your husband come and pick it up so I / we can instruct safe usage. So you don't drop start it at wide open throttle your cahonies off for example. Stihl has folks scouring ebay and the likes for equipment in boxes. Because it's most likely stolen.
Most people don't know but write down your damn serial number. If some asshat steals your saw and you report it, and dipwad takes it to the dealer. You get your saw and he gets free ride from the cops.
I had recovered stolen saws for insurance rip offs and regular saws that were ripped off from the owners buy the run of the mill thief.
You really want the box. Ask them

If you want Stihl boxes for what ever. Check the dumpster.

Stihl will drop millions for lawyer fees to protect a good standing dealer. When you buy a saw a lowes and the chain is on backwards and you ruin the saw trying to cut with it. See how far you get besides a new saw. If you get hurt. Your screwed!,!
Hope what I said puts this thread to bed because there is a very good reason for everything if you take some time and do a little research you can generally find a valid answer..

I Wil in time post about an entire trailer that was full of stihl trimmers that was stolen and how they got caught. It's a riot.
Be safe people and hope well to everyone.

" masterbation over a cardboard box with the Stihl insignia. "
WTF are you talking about ?

"If you find someone selling a Stihl product still in the box. It is most likely a stolen unit."
Well damn, I guess there's a lot of stolen Stihl saws being pictured in this thread.

" So after she paid, I gave the box to her and said simply have your husband come and pick it up so I / we can instruct safe usage. "

You have got to be shi%%*ng me. There is no way in hell I would ever pay for it and walk out the door without it.
Maybe some people are that gullible but I'm damn sure not.
Are dealers the only ones that know safe usage ? No customer could know what safe usage is prior to the dealer telling them ? Bulls^&T flag.

This is a control game Stihl is playing to cover THEIR ass and has nothing to do with the customer.
Again, Stihl could not care less about the customer. Stihl the corp and the dealer network are fleecing the customer base with this superiority bulls*&^.
You post this stating the REAL Stihl policy. Other posters claim to be posting the REAL Stihl policy. Bryan EQ claim to know the REAL Stihl policy in 2 different versions on the same day.
I think it's pretty clear that NO DEALER knows the real Stihl policy and is making stuff up on the fly.
I suspect that there is no Stihl policy on the box and the dealers are using it to manipulate customers.
Its all good though as I am no longer a future customer. The few thousands they have gotten from me over the years is the last.

You "love Stihl products", but you're frustrated over not getting a box, so you're instead considering buying a Farmertec?? Okay, good luck with that. Please come back to tell us how that goes.

Stihl is the one being petty? You've turned this whole box thing into a full-blown conspiracy. @wrenchit is a certified Stihl mechanic, and gave a perfectly reasonable explanation to all of this in post #118 of this thread. Does his explanation seem that unreasonable to you?
You "love Stihl products", but you're frustrated over not getting a box, so you're instead considering buying a Farmertec?? Okay, good luck with that. Please come back to tell us how that goes.

I said there was always echo and farmertec. I would buy an echo but would never buy one of the many Chinese stihl knockoffs.
From this point forward, I will stick to the old used stihl saws. they are better built and without all the engine choking EPA garbage.

Stihl is the one being petty? You've turned this whole box thing into a full-blown conspiracy. @wrenchit is a certified Stihl mechanic, and gave a perfectly reasonable explanation to all of this in post #118 of this thread. Does his explanation seem that unreasonable to you?

Have I ? I pose a simple question and I have created a conspiracy ? You do know how that sounds right ?
And I was not aware that a " certified stihl mechanic " was the be all end all for info about Stihl's corporate policy.
I have met plenty of "certified" people in my life that could not find their a$$ with both hands.
But it's on the internet so it has to be true.
BoxGate is alive and well.

No the dealers are not full of crap. As long as they can teach you how to use the saw you bought properly to cover their ass with Stihl's dealer contract I'm sure you can empty their dumpster and take as many as you want!
Insinuating that a Stihl dealer HAS to show the customer how to " use the saw you bought properly " is arrogance on the next level.
F^%K STIHL and their arrogant dealer network.
Damn, I thought Apple was the worst when it came to this type of arrogant control but Stihl has taken it to an all new level.

Care to give me the serial numbers that are on the box , and I can find out WHY you got Sthil equipment unopened.
Here is how it is. any dealer that goes belly up, Stihl repossesses all equipment that is BOXED. any thing unboxed they get sued in court for non payment because its been opened. According to their dealer rules and contract ,NO equipment is to be sold in the box unless you are government where as Stihl sends a representative to instruct the end users on the use and safety of the equipment.
What most people do not know is that there is serious **** with two strokes. they are considered dirty and the EPA is all over that.
About 15 years ago this guy come in wanting to buy spark arrestor screens, I asked which model, he said I want them all at $5 a pop, NO PROBLEM.
Come to find out they had gone to the other huge saw dealer and cleaned him out also. I think it was Asplundh tree got nailed for, I don't know how many saws for 17.5000.00 EACH. they had 24 hours to be in compliance.
Anyways, about the saws that are still in the box. If you would be kind enough to give me the serial numbers that are on the box. Ill make a phone call and see why.
If you say GFYS, ill, just refer this post to Stihl and because they are national and aside from their own enforcement, they are quite known as friends by the FBI in the USA, I'm sure Canada has an equivalent
As I SAID, NO EQUIPMENT IS TO BE SOLD IN THE BOX, Per Stihl marketing rules period.
And I am sorry to say ,if you do in fact get Busted for this, Posting things that may be stolen on the internet is just stupid.
HOLY SHI& , WTF do you even say to that.
The Stihl police are in the thread.

So BoxGate has now turned into being threatened by Stihl, their dealers and the FBI ?
GTFO with that SH^%
You are certified alright.

The first thing I do to my stihl saws is shi^can the spark arrestors. They are worthless and a source of problems.
Please quote me in this post when you contact the FBI. Im sure they can find me.

Damn, I really feel scared for all the guys on the internet modding saws. They are screwed.
Some may be facing life sentences or the death penalty.

Or possibly the dealers misinterpreted Stihl's instructions? Or the individual dealers figure that if they don't give the customers the box that they can always claim to Stihl corporate, "look, ask the customer for the box to their product, and if they can't produce it, it shows that we unboxed the product before giving it to the customer and did our job of demonstrating the product to them upon purchasing"?
Nailed it ! This whole box thing is a " cover your a$$ thing " and a way to never have to get a return.
It's pretty clear that this is the way it has been set up from the beginning.
They take the saw out of the box AFTER you pay for it ( or its already put together ) fuel it, put bar and chain oil in it and claim
THEY are the only ones that can show you how to safely operate it. Now it has fluids in it and its been ran.
Can that be returned ? NOPE. I think Stihl dealers are at least as bad as scumbag car dealers.
You have to admit that they have a pretty good system going and now we learn that they have the FBI policing it for them. LMFAO

Boxes have nothing to do with returns…
I think you are right about that because "Return / Refund" are not words that exist in the corporate system of Stihl.
I would not return a working saw because I don't like it. Now if you buy that saw and 48 hours later it blows up for any reason that's not induced by the customer, you should be able to return it for a refund and buy a competitors brand if you so choose.
But theres this little pesky thing where the dealer has to determine what the failure was caused from and it will ALWAYS be the customers fault.
Yes, there are a multitude of customers straight gassing equipment and I would say 98% of short term failures are caused by the customer but there will always be failures not caused by the customer.

I think you are right about that because "Return / Refund" are not words that exist in the corporate system of Stihl.
I would not return a working saw because I don't like it. Now if you buy that saw and 48 hours later it blows up for any reason that's not induced by the customer, you should be able to return it for a refund and buy a competitors brand if you so choose.
But theres this little pesky thing where the dealer has to determine what the failure was caused from and it will ALWAYS be the customers fault.
Yes, there are a multitude of customers straight gassing equipment and I would say 98% of short term failures are caused by the customer but there will always be failures not caused by the customer.
I’ve never had any problems….

When I'm buying a new saw, I ask what's the difference between old/new and this/that. I also ask ,how do they start? Same procedure...yes
If no, what needs to be done

I haven't bought a new saw ie m-tronic or auto-tune. When I make the leap, I'll be asking questions.

Whether buying a chainsaw from a dealer, private person, or big box store, they are tools and yes, can be dangerous.

We appreciate your knowledge but if the approach you want to take here toward members posting photos of a saw in the box is to contact Stihl corporate and the FBI, please don't come back.

I agree. And the question is what do Stihl's competitors do? Guarantee you every other brand will give you the box of the chainsaw you just made the decision to purchase with your hard earned money, no questions asked. Did the saw come in a box? Then you bought the box too if you want it. Simple as that...

Yep, Stihl for ya. I HATE that company. They make it impossible for DIY'ers, and even mechanics alike (Unless a Stihl franchise) to service their products. Parts diagrams are nonexistent, and getting parts outside the dealer network is impossible unless you happen upon something locally in a marketplace setting, or on eBay. Trying to find part numbers is INFURIATING. NOTHING should be that difficult! It's been quite a few years since I've dealt with Stihl products (I own a backpack blower - so far has needed nothing but a carb clean), but I'd wager NOTHING has changed.

What did it for me was when I decided to bite the bullet, and drive 10+ miles ONE WAY through maddening MA traffic to purchase an ignition coil for a hedge trimmer. When they charged me SHIPPING on the already overpriced part, I about went through the roof! ARE you F'ING kidding me!?! Talk about getting SCREWED.

To hell with that company. Echo and Husqvarna have no such issues, and I can buy and FIND parts for those without leaving the house! Time is money. It costs me double to be out on the road - fuel costs, time costs, and lost labor time. I wouldn't take another Stihl product if it were given to me!

Ok, I feel better now. 😁

Get fuked on your request, must really chap your @ss knowing regular folks are running around putting old books and clothing in a box. I don't even know how my local stihl dealer stays open and pays 4 guys to sit around and talk 6 days a week. They never have much of any repairs and when you order parts they get them wrong, have fek all in stock, never call to tell you it came in and they are over msrp on chains and laminate bars likely other crap too.

You guys think stihl parts are a beach to buy and find ? try working on this stupid volkswagon diesel...300 bucks for the rear crank seal and the dumb thing has 11 pages of instructions on how to properly install it + the 12 hour book time to R&R the trans with half the bolts being non reuseable per volkswagon. Oh and the dual mass flywheel is over 1500 bucks and they $hit the bed around 140k miles causing a crazy rattle that results in catostrauphic failure when it comes apart.

Back