Can't stop looking at every tree driving down the road.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Job Corp, I think your disease has come full circle. You have fought the good fight and have won out congrats to you sir!
Dillweed, If i were in your shoes I would imbrace the the disease! Learn all you can about it become smarter " know thy enemy ". The only way to beat TID as well as CAD is to bathe in it and let it fill every fiber of your being! Then you will have won out.:cheers:

I've got TID for sure. No denying it. Just have to take a bath in it I guess.:hmm3grin2orange: I will have to try the sumac spice thing.

can you use staghorn sumac?

Yes.

In the midwest, there are large number of different "sumac" plants, but ONLY the staghorn sumac seed head is good for a seasoning. There may be some other variety in the middle-east that we don't know about, but if you go to a Lebanese restaurant, and shake some of the red powder onto your food, it tastes just like dried staghorn.

Other sumac varieties off the top of my head: Poison ivy, Poison oak, Fragrant sumac (complete with leaves of three, but does not cause rashes), and lastly: staghorn.

Poison sumac is also a sumac, but it is not found in our area, so I couldn't identify it if you rolled me in it.

Oh No! Now you got me started! I dug into my Flora of Missouri and discovered a few more:

Cotinius, the "Smoke Tree" is very closely related

Rhus aromatica: fragrant sumac [note: pink lemonade can be made from the fruit]
Rhus radicans: poison ivy
Rhus toxicodendron: poison oak
Rhus typhinia f. dissecta: Dissected Stahorn Sumac
Rhus glabra: Smooth Sumac, this is better known as Staghorn Sumac. In addition to the spice prepared from the seeds, or making a pink lemonade with the fruit, it has had other uses as well. Indians used the fruit to dye wool, they used the hollowed stems for flutes, the leaves were mixed with tobacco for smoking, and the leaves contain an abundance of tannin, and were used by country people for tanning leather.
So much for being a weed, eh?
Rhus copallina: Dwarf Sumac The fruit of this plant are not as well suited for eating as are smooth (staghorn) and fragrant sumac.

Notes from the book on the name "Sumac": "Sumach, Shumac, Shumack, Summaque, and Shoemake - and consequent pronunciations are used for this group of plants, said to have had origin in an Arabic name for a Mediterranean species of the genus." I presume that the Mediterranean sumac has a similar taste, but a separate species name.

Last edited:
YUP!! I am in the same boat. I am constantly looking at the trees. Up and down ever street. The wife gets tired of it.

I got it bad, when I climbed for the big pumpkin...I constantly looked at power lines to figure how fast, and how hard to clear them. Then I got into private work, and looked at what needed to be done, and how long it would take, and how much it would profit versus cost. Then I got into tree health care, and it was..is that bronze birch borer, wonder whats wrong with that, and geesh I could have saved that one. Problem is the all add together, without deleting the other, so now I drive down the road looking at powerlines, private trims, removals, and general tree health. Oh and living in a somewhat rural area I have held several contracts clearing road right of way for a few townships...so you got to add that to the mix also. God help the poor guys on the road with me.

I just wonder where the tree wardens are in the towns I travel through. I'm constantly seeing trees that are going to come down next snow storm or hurricane and think preventive measures are always better that a cure. Dead trees, bogus line clearing leftovers, trees WAY too tall for their environment. Sometimes I want to go out and staple a biz card to them all.

OK, figured out what this plant is...it's not staghorn sumac, it's Ailanthus altissima (Tree of heaven, China-sumac, Chinese tree of heaven, stinktree, and varnishtree).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ailanthus_altissima

"Tree of heaven is an exotic, rapidly growing, deciduous tree that emits an offensive odor."

"The leaves look similar to those of black walnut and sumac."

"Tree of heaven was introduced in America around 1748 by a Pennsylvania gardener and during the gold rush years in California by Chinese immigrants. It was being sold commercially by 1840. The wood is soft, weak and coarse-grained and can be harvested for timber. (NPS, USDA Plant Database)

Within Shenandoah National Park, tree of heaven is a targeted exotic plant because of its ability to rapidly grow and spread and also because it is known to produce a toxin in its leaves and bark that can inhibit the growth of other plants. It is important to the park to kill the invasive exotic species such as tree of heaven because invasive exotic species are known to be a significant threat to biodiversity. Only habitat loss is a greater threat. As an invasive exotic plant, the National Park Service attempts to remove tree of heaven from its lands. Removal is a difficult task requiring extreme diligence. Current techniques for removal include treatment with herbicides and manual removal of small trees. (Hughes, NPS, VA DCR)"

http://www.nps.gov/shen/naturescience/tree-of-heaven.htm

http://www.invasivespeciesinfo.gov/plants/treeheaven.shtml

So, it's an invasive weed/trash tree that inhibits growth of other plants. Now, to research how to rid myself of it.

Last edited:
Funny, I barely looked at the picture the first time I posted about the sumac.
I just noticed a big Tree of Heaven growing in my neighbors woods about 30 ft. in, never even saw it in the 5 years I've been here but was wondering where all the little seedlings were coming from in my yard. Too bad the neighbors are dipsticks, I won't even bother trying to ask about removing it for them for free.

#1 hated tree on my list. Poor ability to spike to climb, weak branches that break when climbed out on, branches smash to small peices when they clash together on takedown, stinky and poor ability to burn. :chainsaw:

A local Craigslist ad:

Free Firewood (Elizabethtown)
Date: 2010-07-29, 7:36AM EDT

Trees still standing, just take down and remove brush. Tree Of Heaven...not much good for anything but burning. Easy access...pull your truck right up. Plenty of room to drop them. I even have a few Black Walnut if you are interested, but these must go first.

In the previous ad, the person offered $100 to take the leaves and branches along, too.

I think we should have a new organization out there "TAA" Tree Aholics Anonymous":cheers: So everybody with TID knows they are not alone and can get help.

Latest posts

Back