carb leaking at H and L screws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thompson1600

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
When a carb starts leaking (with pressure test) around the H and L screws, does that basically mean the carb body is worn out? Is there a way to stop that area from leaking again and still use the body?

Thanks

Tom

the leak is coming out around the screws. There is a spring but no sealing ring on either the H or L screw.

The leak is definately coming out around the threads of the screws. I can't find any other leak in the carb.

By the way this is happening on two of my WJ carbs for 066 saws.

thompson1600 said:
When a carb starts leaking (with pressure test) around the H and L screws, does that basically mean the carb body is worn out? Is there a way to stop that area from leaking again and still use the body?

Thanks

Tom
How much pressure did you put on the test?I would think the area around the adjustment screws would be under vacuum rather than pressure during normal operation.

thompson1600 said:
the leak is coming out around the screws. There is a spring but no sealing ring on either the H or L screw.

The leak is definately coming out around the threads of the screws. I can't find any other leak in the carb.

By the way this is happening on two of my WJ carbs for 066 saws.
Are you putting a positive pressure on the impulse line or the fuel line? are you below 100Kpa? (~1atm) Why are you performing this test?, what is happening to cause you to go here?

.4 bar pressure on the fuel line inlet.

Test every carb for pressure before putting it back on a saw to make sure it isn't leaking and needs a rebuild, or the rebuild is holding.

Thanks

Tom

thompson1600 said:
.4 bar pressure on the fuel line inlet.

Test every carb for pressure before putting it back on a saw to make sure it isn't leaking and needs a rebuild, or the rebuild is holding.

Thanks

Tom
The needle and seat should be stopping this long before it goes anywhere else. I have had similar problems in the past where the sharp edge on the casting of the plate has eroded somewhat allowing air to sneak past the gasket. Have a VERY close look at the aluminum plate.

Back