Carbide chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see some manufacturers offer chain with carbide cutters. Anybody use it? You can't file it right?

No, you can't file it with a normal file.

I don't think carbide chains are meant for normal cutting.

They don't cut as fast as regular chain even when new.

They are a perfect choice for fire department saws that are used to cut through roofs, through nails and everything else.

Maybe even good for guys who cut out stumps with dirt and stones and such.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Jeff,
Ever cut a steel rod that you knew was in a stump with that carbide chain? I have two customers who I have not cut their stumps yet because of large metal items in them that even if I wanted to ruin a chain or two i could still not cut all the way through. Suggestions anyone?

Luke

Jeff,
Ever cut a steel rod that you knew was in a stump with that carbide chain? I have two customers who I have not cut their stumps yet because of large metal items in them that even if I wanted to ruin a chain or two i could still not cut all the way through. Suggestions anyone?

Luke

No, we use them mostly for roots on up-rooted trees.
Jeff

I know that wasn't really what it was meant for, but just wondering if its a possibility. There is really no way to cut around it as they go in at nasty angles right to the center. One is in a honey locust the other in a big tooth aspen. I thought about the sawzall idea but there is no way to cut the wood around it to the point where I can get the sawzall in there. Don't mean to take over your thread but if anyone has a suggestion i'd love to hear it. Thanks.

I've done a fair bit of cutting with the sthil carbide chain at the Fire Dept. They get the job done when cutting wood with nails in it and for cutting light gauge metal roofing. However, the chain is usually shot when done. What carbides are left (a lot break off) will need sharpening (special diamond impregnated wheel). We just usually replace the whole chain, or on occasion, the individual teeth.

For cutting dirty roots, they will last longer than regular chain. As for cutting steel rods in trees, unless they are nail size, you're more than likely end up breaking the carbide tips off.

Here is a link that may help you.
http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/14575.htm

Last edited:
Not following you here Jeff? If you are thinking a grinder, I can get a portable unit to both but I still don't know if I like the thoughts of doing that.

Dig it out?
Jeff

:msp_rolleyes: Don't read so fast.

Oh, and can you dig the stump out? :confused:

Back