carbide chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StihlBoy440

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
well I got the MS360Pro bought but was cruisin ebay and seen a carbide chain from a 460 rescue will it work with any 3/8 20" setup it says .063 pitch I think and I dont know what the 360 will have on it, I do some occasional rail road timber/landscape work where the chain gets dirty and hits nails that is why I am wondering about if this will work!

It would be good for cuttin rr ties but I dont know about the nails that & how do you plan to sharpen it

well it shouldnt need sharpening until you break hte carbide tips off and then you just trash it I wont cut many nails but the dirt and grit in RR ties takes a toll on a regular chain and gums them up

It still would need some sharpening from stihl a carbine chain is a little over 100 $ that alot for a chain and than you have to but a tool that can sharpen it

well I am just going from you dont sharpen a carbide tipped circular saw blade so why would you sharpen a carbide tipped saw chain they are the same and other than diamond there isnt anything to sharpen carbide it is WAY to hard for a file that said I have found one for alot less than 100 bucks just wanting to know if it will work is all

Ya i know as for as a cicclar saw blade but if it were 100 $ i think i would want to be able to sharpen it

First off, periods are a good thing. They help organize incoherent ramblings into comprehensible sentences. Second, you might be shocked to learn (shocked, I say shocked!) that you aren't the first person on this forum to ever have this wonderful idea. Try a search using 'carbide chain' and see what wonderful luck everyone else has had with this idea.

For some reason when I find a member who can't manage to communicate on a 3rd grade writing level, I tend to want to hit the 'ignore' button. I'm not looking for perfection, just something resembling English.

skwerl said:
First off, periods are a good thing. They help organize incoherent ramblings into comprehensible sentences. Second, you might be shocked to learn (shocked, I say shocked!) that you aren't the first person on this forum to ever have this wonderful idea. Try a search using 'carbide chain' and see what wonderful luck everyone else has had with this idea.

For some reason when I find a member who can't manage to communicate on a 3rd grade writing level, I tend to want to hit the 'ignore' button. I'm not looking for perfection, just something resembling English.

+1

You do sharpen carbide, a local tooling shop will send you to the wright guy or company. They run carbide saw chain on lots of deck saws and also on bunk saws(cutting them so they fit nice and tight in a box truck). I would say if you run a low grade carbide you would be doing fine for the nails (C-1 may be C-2). I would find a local tooling shop and ask them about making you a carbide tiped chain. (big money).....

1. They can be sharpened. Usually the dealer is set up for it.

2. Individual cutters can be replaced...up to around 5 cutters. Then it becomes cheaper to replace the chain.

3. You may have to buy a new bar to match the gauge of chain that you are interested in.

well I am just going from you dont sharpen a carbide tipped circular saw blade so why would you sharpen a carbide tipped saw chain they are the same and other than diamond there isnt anything to sharpen carbide it is WAY to hard for a file that said I have found one for alot less than 100 bucks just wanting to know if it will work is all

Who says they don't sharpen carbide saw blades?????? I get mine sharpened! I also get my carbide shaper and carbide router cutters sharpened as well.

Rob

For What it is Worth....

The finest Carbide chainsaw blades are from RAPCO Industries

See URL;

http://www.rapcoindustries.com/

RAPCO is a REAL Manfacture of carbide chainsaw blades.

"MADE IN THE USA"

If their stock product's do not fit Your requirement, they will make a chain for Your needs.

Expensive, Yes.

A 24", 84 link/ .050, Cost me around $178.00, shipped

Yes, they are WORTH IT.

Regards

Joseph

well sorry for the incorrect english, I thought this was just a forum for discussion and not English 101. I so sorry for not doing a search on here first I will try and use my resources better in the future. I have a father who has built houses and other wooden structures for over 25 years and we never sharpen a circular saw blade on anything, now jointers and routers are a different story. The Stihl brand carbide chain is made by Rapco so I guess it is a good chain I was just wondering if it would work with a standard 20" 3/8 bar on a MS360 Pro saw.

Bailey's says this about the Rapco chain they sell for $1.79 per DL:

Professional burl cutters, fire departments and pulp mills have relied on Rapco® carbide chain for years. This carbide chain is made by grinding a portion of standard saw chain away and silver soldering a solid chip of carbide back on. The carbide chip is then reshaped to match the original design. The result is a saw chain that can last exceptionally long in abrasive conditions. Great for stump removals, cutting paper rolls and sawing in sand impregnated bark. Chamfered version is preferred by fire departments for high impact conditions (like cutting roofing and small nails). Cutting speed is significantly reduced when using this chain. Use a diamond grinding stone or wheel to sharpen. Please note that there is no warranty on this chain, and cutters will break and chip if impacted by hard objects.

StihlBoy440 said:
...SNIP ... The Stihl brand carbide chain is made by Rapco ... SNIP ...

I also have a Stihl brand in Carbide .... it is made in Switzerland, that is what is on the package.

Also the "Total / Tecomec Brand"{same Company the imports Jonsered into the USA] has Carbide and [Copied from their Site};

DIAMONDIZED SAW CHAIN

"Diamondization" is a special application of Tungsten Carbide to standard saw chain. Diamondized chain will not chip, crack, or peel in the most severe cutting conditions. It will cut up to five times as much dirty wood per chain, as it holds its edge ten times longer between sharpenings than standard chain.

Ideal for any abrasive cutting condition . . . bulldozed logs, railroad ties, sand-embedded bark, etc. Once sharpened with a grinder to remove spillover Tungsten Carbide on the leading edge, Diamondized cutters can be filed effectively with a regular chain saw file

I was Quoted{not in stock] by a local Dealer $52.75 for a 24", 3/8, 84 link, .050 - have not tried it ... not yet

Regards

Joseph

Last edited:
Joseph said:
"Diamondization" is a special application of Tungsten Carbide to standard saw chain. Diamondized chain will not chip, crack, or peel in the most severe cutting conditions. It will cut up to five times as much dirty wood per chain, as it holds its edge ten times longer between sharpenings than standard chain.

Ideal for any abrasive cutting condition . . . bulldozed logs, railroad ties, sand-embedded bark, etc. Once sharpened with a grinder to remove spillover Tungsten Carbide on the leading edge, Diamondized cutters can be filed effectively with a regular chain saw file

It's just a coating. Once blunted, sure you can sharpen it with a normal file, but then it's just a normal chain, maybe. A "real" carbide chain (not the rescue chain) is only $84...

Anyone of AS used this ?

BTW, you can sharpen a carbide chain without sending it to Rapco or wherever. Just use a diamond 3/16 chain attachment for a dremel. Cost is about $5 and they are good for maybe 2 20 inch chain sharpens. I use a diamond wheel in my chain grinder, and it does very nice job. A carbide chain is NEVER as sharp as a standard steel chain... but is much more durable in tough conditions.

carbide spray

I use the poor man's carbide on one of my saws for getting stumps lower. I think it works pretty good.

In semi-chisel, it probably lasts 2-4x compared with standard chain. Indeed it sharpens just fine with a file since the file just removes the steel under the sprayed-on tungsten carbide to get the edge back. If you look closely at the top side of the chain cutters, you can see the rough finish of the spray.

I wasn't aware of the term diamondization,... and there's nothing "diamond" involved.

Latest posts

Back