Carbide Chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newb

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I took down an Elm the other day that had a piece of angle iron grown in it. We were able to get it cut at ground level but now have a piece of wood 4' long that we can't move. I was wondering if a carbide chain will cut through this with little or no problem. Thanks Pete

newb said:
I took down an Elm the other day that had a piece of angle iron grown in it. We were able to get it cut at ground level but now have a piece of wood 4' long that we can't move. I was wondering if a carbide chain will cut through this with little or no problem. Thanks Pete

nope!!

I go a firewood length down from the last, topmost cut. Cut in toward, but not all the way to the iron. Use a maul to split the wood off the sides, splitting away until you get to where the metal is. 4 feet is three firewood lengths. You can likely split three pieces of firewood on the stump faster than you can re-sharpen a rocked chain.

after all the money you'll spend distroying chains i would say rent a loader ad get rid of the log in one shot, since im assuming you dont own one or you would of though of my genious idea already lol.

or if the log is still part of the stump and thats what your saying, and its not flushed off yet then rent a stihl concreat saw, that will cut the wood , metal, and what not. torching it will just cause smoke. with no results

We did just as Tree Machine describes on this stump. Sucked....lost a lot of time, since it was a good neighbor and customer I didn't charge them extra.

It was an old steel fence post in the MIDDLE of the stump! Can't imagine how old it was.

Tried to edit image with a smaller one, not possible?

Last edited:
A stump this size with metal in it is going to be a PITA, no matter how you go about it.

Here's a resized picture of your stump, Todd. Sorry the chop method didn't work so well. Had I seen a pic of a mondo that diameter, with a flaring buttress like that, I wouldn't have been so quick to suggest a maul. On this one, vertical topside rip cuts, then crosscut out the surrounding chunks. Once you get to the point of having a column of wood-encased steel. That's when you break out the maul.

The problem with vertical rip cuts is that is if the post isn't vertical, you can hit metal where you don't expect, then you're into wasted chains again which generally brings you to a grinding halt. I have some personal experience with that and I went through a personal record (are you ready) 11 chains. This tree had gone exceedingly well and I was coming into the last two cuts, then it all turned south. The .mov file below is a slideshow of that particular stump, one that still brings me pain just thinking about it.
attachment.php

hell with the fence, you plan on grinding that oak stump with that little grinder ?you'll be there a week

That's why it's called a SUPER JR., no problem, that job has been done. We don't get into too many big take downs so it works fine for us.

i feel your pain!! did 3 big maples last year in a guys front yard....get the last one down to 4 ft,,, start hitting metal,,, tried the cutting around it method,,,,must have been some old heavy duty 4 inch mesh fencing!!!!! trashed a lot of chains!!!!

went back a year later to do the stumps ,,, forgot the problem tree,,, wasted 8 brand new teeth on that stump!!!!!! didn't break the teeth,,, just chipped the carbide tips!!!!! that job went up to the high end of my estimate real quick!!

Back