Carbide tipped saw chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KRS

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I live in the SW and will be cutting 3 cords of mesquite this winter.

Would a carbide tipped saw chain be a good purchase for me?

Thanks,

KRS

First, it's around $100 a loop.

Second, you have to have a special grinding wheel to sharpen it, or pay through the nose to have it sharpened.

Still interested?

My local dealer doesn't have any chain for mine in stock; so maybe I need to get another brand of chain that I can buy online?

That would be my reccomendation.
While you are in there ask about some carbide loops:cheers:

You looking for chain for the 310? They should have it.

I use RM (not RM2 safety, which they no longer make) Stihl chain myself on the 361s and the 290. Full comp, 3/8, 0.050. It has a semi-chisel round cutter. It is designed to run in cruddy conditions, and does better in hard woods. I also sharpen it at 30 degrees with a zero degree offset. 35 degrees is sharper, but it dulls faster. In hard and dirty wood, you want a wider point that gets dull slower.

I would get two loops, and run the saw until the chain starts to get dull and swap it out for the sharp chain. Use Stihl chain if you want good hard steel cutters. If you cannot get them at a local shop, you can get them on Ebay. I get them made to length at the Stihl dealers around here.

Last edited:
My local dealer doesn't have any chain for mine in stock; so maybe I need to get another brand of chain that I can buy online?

have him get it for you !!! i'm sure he can get it, and bench sharpen your chain for the time being...so you have something to use for now..

My dealer wont even sell carbide chain. He sees it as a liability and a safety hazard because they are prone to spitting the carbide cutters and thats about the last thing I want flying at me when cutting wood. he also wont sell the brush cutter blades that look like a steel disc with a chainsaw chain wrapped around em for the same reason.

I live in the SW and will be cutting 3 cords of mesquite this winter.

Would a carbide tipped saw chain be a good purchase for me?

Thanks,

KRS
You are good to go with regular chain with green mesquite unless you get into seasoned dead mesquite, then you need a cordwood saw.

I have often wondered, how a quicky saw with a carbide miter blade would work on seasoned mesquite.:greenchainsaw: You have 14 inch blade & up in diamond coated blades.

Buy rolls of chain and you can get the cost down to 4-5 bucks a loop.

Learn to keep it sharp (with each filling of fuel) with a light touch up of a file.

A carbide chain is best used by emergency responders cutting into cars and roofs.

Back