Carving Bars

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DMShaver

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a customer who is in the market for some new carving bars and am looking for brand recommendations. He is currently using a Stihl dime tip 1/4" pitch, but can only get a few months out of it before the bar breaks out or splits at the tip. Not being a carver myself, I don't know what caring bar brands hold up the best. Any suggestions?

Baileys carries two different brands of carving bars and they both hold up OK.
Jamie Dorian of www.chainsawsculptures.com carries a custom line of carving bars called "Dagger" that seem to hold up exceptionally well. No matter what brand dime tip a carver uses, the tips of the carving bars are going to take a beating because there is no roller tip,and minimal bearing on the tip . What you might suggest to your carver that you are working with,is to do more finish detail wiith a quarter tip bar using 3/8 low profile chain. This is also available through Baileys and www.chainsawsculptures.com -ken

DMSHAVER,

CANNON. have two 025 stihls with these, one dime tip, and one quarter tip.
had them for two years now,and no issues.
$57.00 for the 12" dime and $74.00 for the quarter tip. both bars are 12".
12" dime uses 1/4" pitch, so you'll have to get chain and new sprocket for this one. not sure on prices today. but you can call cannon for current prices.

hope this helps.

mike.

DMSHAVER,

CANNON. have two 025 stihls with these, one dime tip, and one quarter tip.
had them for two years now,and no issues.
$57.00 for the 12" dime and $74.00 for the quarter tip. both bars are 12".
12" dime uses 1/4" pitch, so you'll have to get chain and new sprocket for this one. not sure on prices today. but you can call cannon for current prices.

hope this helps.

mike.

I always heard that Cannon was a good carving bar, so I ordered a few him to try and he loves them so far. He carved for me at a trade show middle of last month for 12+ hours and just barely took the paint off the tip of the quarter bar. Another thing that helps too I think, is the Dolmar PS-420 that I gave him to use has an adjustable oiler, and with it turned up all the way, the bar gets more than enough oil.

Thanks for the reply.

Hi Mike, I have Cannons, GB's out of Australia, Daggers from Jamie, A couple of the older Stihl bars & a few different designs of Sugi Haras also. Out of all the bars I have run I have found the two to be the best which I have been running one of them for over a year & a half is the Sugi Hara Pro Carver that Baileys used to sell. I bought 4 Max's from Jamie last Spring & he had 5 of the Sugi Hara Sumari bars & these bars are the best quality I have seen to date but the trick is to dress them first as I believe & know from experience now they must all be as right from the factory they are a rough enough surface finish to start the damage to the chain in turn back onto the bar instantly. As soon as you install a new bar & chain you will get black "swarf" coming off the tip instantly. I used to "chalk this up to a break in of the chain & bar removing any irregularities & coming off the bar in the form of black crap" but I have found that there is a large variation in manufacturing & the grinding or finish tolerances & if the bar is dressed makes all the difference in the world right from the start. I also have been running Canola oil two years as of August & my bars now only need dressing about once every 3 to 4 weeks & the wear is taken care of in minutes with a stone whearas when running regular chain oil I was dressing bars at least once a week & now I run the machines way harder than I did previously also. Watch for Sugi Haras on the market shortly!
Thanks, Robbin
http://www.robbinsamazingart.com

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back