Cast Iron Cookware

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just noticed most of my CI skillets have some rust on the bottom. Can you clean off the rust with a brush and re-season only the bottom? I think you could, but maybe I'm missing something.

Also, another has a crud buildup on the rim. Can I spray oven cleaner on the crud, let it set overnight and wire brush in the morning? Then of course re-season.

Also, another has a crud buildup on the rim. Can I spray oven cleaner on the crud, let it set overnight and wire brush in the morning?
Have you tried running it under really hot water and scraping at the crud with a putty knife or stainless steel ScotchBrite? In other words, try to mechanically remove the crud, without chemically removing the seasoning.

Philbert

Have you tried running it under really hot water and scraping at the crud with a putty knife or stainless steel ScotchBrite? In other words, try to mechanically remove the crud, without chemically removing the seasoning.

Philbert
Never thought of that. I might heat it up a little WITHOUT water and try scraping.

you can green scrubby the bottom or get a scotch brite polishing pad and clean the bottom and just reseason it. as for the crud at the top you can scrape it off. i am assuming its on the outside? cut it off with a putty knife or box cutter maybe if you dont want to reseason the whole pan. maybe you could use a wire wheel.

This may be blasphemy but I recently bought a high carbon steel skillet and after seasoning it cooks like a non-stick.
Don't worry, I'm not getting rid of any cast iron.
I have several carbon steel pans. They're great and I'm using them quite a bit right alongside my new and vintage cast iron pieces.

They weigh less , heat up faster, cool down faster, will last just as long as cast iron if treated well, less brittle than cast iron...they definitely have their use.

Not as good for searing steaks, you want cast iron for that for better heat retention. But for most things, carbon steel works well and they're available right now for good prices.

Never thought of that. I might heat it up a little WITHOUT water and try scraping.
I have only cooked with cast for many years with the exception of making soup in stainless. I heat some water in the pan and simply use my metal spatula to remove any excess crud. I then bring it to the sink and use a yellow scrub pad with the hot water running. I do this after every meal and haven't had any buildup.

here is a old one
waffle iron.jpg

I hope to be selling my home soon, downsizing and move into a travel trailer so i won't be needing much of my cast iron.
I will probably end up selling it but I imagine shipping kills any deals.
You might be surprised, post a list of what you have and I bet some of us cast iron heads might just be interested. Shipping might be an issue, but you never know. Good luck with your home sale and downsize!

You might be surprised, post a list of what you have and I bet some of us cast iron heads might just be interested. Shipping might be an issue, but you never know. Good luck with your home sale and downsize!
yes if you plan on down sizing im sure you could sell some here.

i made short rib stew in my 6qt enameled cast iron dutch oven tonight. there is 15 minutes to go

The old cast waffle irons are pretty tricky. Can’t peak, just gotta trust your timing!

Back