Cast Iron Cookware

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He he he, cool, gotcha. Jesus, I’m 46, and finally know why “The good ol’ boys were drinking whiskey and rye....”

We’d likely do flatties (flathead, again, mild, sweet, saltwater panfish). Or bream. Or snapper.

We DO know what beer is, lol.
BB7E3945-9F6B-4673-8AAD-C395AAA9753A.jpeg

Just so we all know, cast iron pans are healthier to cook with . I have read and heard many times that the old aluminum pans and cookwear may have caused Aslhimers ( old timers disease) i what I call it. Many with this disease have a high count of aluminum in their system. I dont think stainless steel is any better neither. When I heard this i decided to only cook with cast. My wife fights me about everything including cast iron. I bought 2 Lodge pans and they are rough . I found a small company that makes them about 50 miles away in ?Plymouth , Wisconsin? . I will check them out and imagine they are smoother.

I heard that too about Al. That's all my Mom used, as it was the rave, when I was growing up. Can't wait to see what's ahead for me. Only CI for me now.

You do that right on the gas top? Not in the oven?

I been very tempted by a decent cast iron Dutch oven. Was at my brothers a few week ago, he had a real nice 4L one just rusting away. Cleaned, seasoned and stored it properly, but he is 4000km away.

If I can roast and slow-cook casserole on the gas stove top, I’ll pay the shipping for it to get here.
I cook in my Dutch oven right on the burner. I use it a lot. Like weekly in the winter

i have 3 or so dutch ovens in cast iron. 2 more in alum. use the alum more so than cast.

picked up this fry pan other day GS for $1.00! :surprised3:

was orange rusty in middle. wrapped, not bad, but in need of service. coming along good. not scrambled egg ready just yet... lol ;) got my remainder onions from garden strung n hung. kitchen. mite do some fried onions in it soon...
P1010010.JPG
P1010022.JPG

P1010012.JPG

P1010027.JPG

Cast iron Good. All others, ok. I have been using cast iron cookware al out daily for 40 plus years. Cast iron good. It's heavy but nothing else cooks the same. Cast Dutch Oven good too. Mine is a Lodge I think. If I had money I would have that French made enameled one. They are about $300. Pretty though. You simply can't go wrong with iron cookware.

Just so we all know, cast iron pans are healthier to cook with . I have read and heard many times that the old aluminum pans and cookwear may have caused Aslhimers ( old timers disease) i what I call it. Many with this disease have a high count of aluminum in their system. I dont think stainless steel is any better neither. When I heard this i decided to only cook with cast. My wife fights me about everything including cast iron. I bought 2 Lodge pans and they are rough . I found a small company that makes them about 50 miles away in ?Plymouth , Wisconsin? . I will check them out and imagine they are smoother.
Take your bottle torch and screw in a cylinder of map gas. It' the yellow cylinder. It's hotter than blue?heat that monster up until a stiff wire brush will clean off all that baked on grease and food. If you are inclined use a flap disk on your side grinder to polish it up. You can't kill it.

I cook in my Dutch oven right on the burner. I use it a lot. Like weekly in the winter
Yea, shoot the bottom with Pam, throw in a while chicken, potatos and carrots if you like and fire on low to below medium for one and a half hours and the meat will be falling off the bone. Skin won't be worth much but its not healthy anyhow. The Dutch oven is real econmical. Cleanup is a cinch. I cook for my dogs that way. It's very convienient. They like chicken and the juices go on kibble for a couple of days.

i have 3 or so dutch ovens in cast iron. 2 more in alum. use the alum more so than cast.

picked up this fry pan other day GS for $1.00! :surprised3:

was orange rusty in middle. wrapped, not bad, but in need of service. coming along good. not scrambled egg ready just yet... lol ;) got my remainder onions from garden strung n hung. kitchen. mite do some fried onions in it soon...
View attachment 999400View attachment 999402
View attachment 999414
View attachment 999416
You would really do scrambled eggs in cast iron? Mine would stick for sure.

Any tips on seasoning? Or do I need to get the power tools out to smooth the surface?

You would really do scrambled eggs in cast iron? Mine would stick for sure.

Any tips on seasoning? Or do I need to get the power tools out to smooth the surface?
Eggs take a well seasoned pan as well as some techniques to keep them from sticking.

Yes, you can do scrambled eggs in cast iron and have it not stick.

First, oil the pan with something like canola oil. Not a thick layer, but a thin sheen over the seasoning. If you have extremely good seasoning, this step can be skipped. But for marginal seasoning, this helps a LOT.

Heat the pan to a low-medium heat. And put in the butter. You want the butter to bubble and lightly snap when you put it in the pan. That's as hot as you want it. You don't want it so hot that it boils all the moisture out of the butter super fast. It takes some trial and error to get this right every time.

Pour the eggs in the pan easy. Let them sit for a while then move the bottom layer to allow other parts of the eggs to the pan. Don't be in a rush, remember the pan isn't that hot, so it shouldn't be cooking super fast.

I have a specific pan for eggs only. Scrambled, over easy, sunny side up, nothing sticks. It's a vintage large logo Griswold from the 1920's or 30's. Super smooth and the seasoning is glassy. A little butter and the eggs go in. No issues.

Latest posts

Back