Cast Iron Cookware

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I have cleaned it, oil it, and baked it. I then used it and each time I get a iron smell/taste, especially with meat.

Well I have cleaned it, oil it, and baked it. I then used it and each time I get a iron smell/taste, especially with meat.
No idea. I've never had an iron smell or taste from cooked food.

I've had iron smell when I clean a completely bare pan before I season it. However, after one seasoning I've never had the iron smell again.

Give it another round or two of seasoning. See if that helps.

Did you strip it back to bare metal, then clean, and season? What is the complete history of this piece?

No idea. I've never had an iron smell or taste from cooked food.

I've had iron smell when I clean a completely bare pan before I season it. However, after one seasoning I've never had the iron smell again.

Give it another round or two of seasoning. See if that helps.

Did you strip it back to bare metal, then clean, and season? What is the complete history of this piece?
No I did not strip it to bare metal. It was a new Lodge. I need to keep working at it

20240307_211941.jpg

IMG_2694.jpeg
IMG_2695.jpeg
IMG_2698.jpeg
IMG_2697.jpeg

Had to make a pretty good run for work. Nice trip to Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana. Hit a couple antique shops today on our way to Indiana and I finally found two of the odd sizes I needed for my collection. One shop had an 11 that someone ruined trying to clean it. It looked and felt like they used a sander on it so that was a hard pass. I found a beautiful 12 with the same logo as the 9 I did buy but they wanted way too much. I’m in Indiana for about a week so I’m hoping to get a bit of time to search some more.

View attachment 1160723View attachment 1160724View attachment 1160725View attachment 1160726
Had to make a pretty good run for work. Nice trip to Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana. Hit a couple antique shops today on our way to Indiana and I finally found two of the odd sizes I needed for my collection. One shop had an 11 that someone ruined trying to clean it. It looked and felt like they used a sander on it so that was a hard pass. I found a beautiful 12 with the same logo as the 9 I did buy but they wanted way too much. I’m in Indiana for about a week so I’m hoping to get a bit of time to search some more.
Both those Wagners are old! Very nice! You think a 12 is spendy? Research a 13, Lol!

Both those Wagners are old! Very nice! You think a 12 is spendy? Research a 13, Lol!
Yeah I’ve looked at 13’s and 2’s holey moley them are outrageous. I didn’t mind what I spent for the two I got today because I knew they were from the 20’s based on the logos. The 12 was almost 3c notes so I had to pass. Didn’t want the wife too mad at me, I’m supposed to be making money on this trip not spend it all on pans🤣 it’s fun looking for them though. If I was a Griswold collector that one shop I went into had a bunch of very nice ones and all sizes too. They had quite a few Favorite, a brand I knew about but have never actually seen before.

Back