Catalytic vs Secondary Burn Technology Advantages?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, I'll volunteer. It's old tech, my Dad's old no-name stove from the 1970's has it. I believe it was a copy of something like a Vermont Castings stove. Like the thermostats on space heaters, it is only marginally effective as it is located too close to the stove.

Didn't say it was new technology Chris. My parents' 1979 Earthstove had an auto damper as well. I was saying that, to my knowledge, Blaze King is the only manufacturer currently using an auto damper.

Idahonative how many full cords(4X4X8)of wood are you burning in a season now?I burn about 5 but sometimes more when I run 2 stoves like I have to do when it gets colder.

Who said I'm biased? You just twist everything that anyone says. I'm just trying to figure out why you hate this stove so much? It's a quality unit and yes it does do easy 16 hour burns in the shoulder season. As I've mentioned my house is too big and under insulated to do that when it's zero outside.

What good is giving any kind of review if your just going to manipulate and twist everything that anyone says? I didn't come here to fight with you. I am posting to restore some faith in a company that you are bashing with no experience to account for it.

Whatever your issue is leave me out of it. Don't quote my posts and mind your own business.

I manipulate and twist everything? Umm, they're your words bud, not mine. And let me reiterate again, I DON'T HATE THE IDEAL STEEL!!! What bothers me is people like you (and companies) who mislead others. You need to realize that when you post things on various forums, that information is chiseled in stone and can sometimes come back on you. That's why honesty and accuracy (to the best of your knowledge) is the best policy.

You know, BrianK and I had some lively discussions on here but I at least respect the fact that he tried his best to post information that was accurate.

What isn't accurate? Can I clarify something for you? I'm not trying to say I'm right your wrong. I just don't see why I'm under attack.

Please help me understand what specifically I did that you don't like.

What isn't accurate? Can I clarify something for you? I'm not trying to say I'm right your wrong. I just don't see why I'm under attack.

Please help me understand what specifically I did that you don't like.

Umm...can you read my post or do I need to start cutting and pasting more info from H---th to help you understand?

I think what you are doing is thinking that 11 hours is what I'm saying is my maximum burn time in cold weather. What I am really saying is that I leave for work and come back 11 hours later. That does not mean the stove is done by any means.

The other thing that you don't understand is that I do not pack the firebox full usually. Most days I loosely fill it about 3/4 full. Why ? because I don't need to fill it I have plenty of heat either way and why waste wood? The 11-14 hour burn is intentional with the amount of wood I give it.

The one day I packed it full I got 16 hours. It did not suit my schedule to allow it to keep going so I reloaded. I'm not trying to give out any false information but sometimes there are variables that you are not aware of.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can clarify for you or anybody else.

"Burn time" is lousy measure - there are way too many other variables to use it as a valid comparison. How much heat was it putting out, how much wood was in it, what kind of wood, etc.

"Burn time" is lousy measure - there are way too many other variables to use it as a valid comparison. How much heat was it putting out, how much wood was in it, what kind of wood, etc.
That is the truth, You will get a whole lot longer burn time with a stove full of Oak as compared to a stove full of pine.

That's why I like words like "real world burn time" or "heating efficiency". Both are referring to how well a wood stove is actually heating ones home.

That's why I like words like "real world burn time" or "heating efficiency".
Yes, defined terms help a lot. Traditionally "heating efficiency" is a term defined for heating systems as the season long average of the total energy delivered to the living space divided by the source energy consumed.

For a wood stove that would be the energy derived from the wood (and particulate emissions is a good measure of that), minus any stack loss. This is why it would be very hard for two stoves of similar design and particulate emissions ratings to have vastly different heating efficiencies, as it is unlikely that they would have vastly different stack losses.

"Real world burn time" means nothing to me that is any different from burn time. Adding the words "real world" just makes it sound more official but does not define any of the many missing variables.

I took a good look at that new IS stove from Woodstock,looks real pretty.But it sure scares me. The Woodstock stove I have has interior panels made of cast iron that warp and erode, and need replaced over time.That IS has all kind of panels,gates and what have you that I am scared may suffer the same fate.I would be a lot more confident if that stove had a full 5 year warrantee.I read in an other post here that the person writing it said they heard of Woodstock replacing parts years after the warrantee was over.I guess they do not like me because all the parts I have needed they do not bat an eye as they gladly charge me for them.

Woodstock ads like to show you soapstone stoves that are still around over 100 years later.But these old stoves do not have all the baffles and plates inside that warp and render the stove basically useless unless they are replaced.Personally after the experiences I have had I would be very cautious buying any stove from anyone that has fancy interior designs.But that is just me.

Sounds like warping issues on Woodstock stoves have been around awhile and is still showing up in their new models. First hand info posted yesterday:

"I was cleaning my progress hybrid stove when I noticed what looks like the fireback(I guess that's what they call the secondary plate in there) is warped right in the middle. Any one else notice this? Is this common? It makes me wonder how it got like that. The stove normally only runs around 350-450 range and I've only seen it hit 600 one time when I loaded it down with a bunch of smalls. Any ideas? I guess I should call Woodstock and inquire. They've been 100% great on any other issues I've encounteted."

That ONE YEAR/PARTS ONLY warranty we discussed earlier in this thread seems a little more important now.

The more I read the more I wonder if hybrid technology is really where it's at:

"For the "large" Progress Hybrid cat stove to ONLY burn 12-16 hours... the stove's design is a failure. Seriously, if the competitor can get 30 hours from the same sized firebox then woodstock needs to do lots more than make tweaks. Sure it's efficient, sure it's beautiful, sure the company's service is excellent but if this cat stove can only perform like a non-cat then why not just get a non-cat? Lots of attractive non-cat stoves to choose from that are easier and cheaper to operate.

Imagine buying a car that gets only 10 mpg when the same size car is available with the same size engine from another company getting 20 mpg.

Burn times are the number one priority for the real 24/7 burner that actually uses the stove for primary heat. The other woodstock cat stoves seem to get decent burntimes. It's too bad they couldn't have just stuck with straight cat technology that they are so good at.

I had high hopes for this new stove when it was first announced, I am disappointed in the reports. Never liked the name either. Sorry to be negative but facts are facts."

Sounds like warping issues on Woodstock stoves have been around awhile and is still showing up in their new models. First hand info posted yesterday:

"I was cleaning my progress hybrid stove when I noticed what looks like the fireback(I guess that's what they call the secondary plate in there) is warped right in the middle. Any one else notice this? Is this common? It makes me wonder how it got like that. The stove normally only runs around 350-450 range and I've only seen it hit 600 one time when I loaded it down with a bunch of smalls. Any ideas? I guess I should call Woodstock and inquire. They've been 100% great on any other issues I've encounteted."

That ONE YEAR/PARTS ONLY warranty we discussed earlier in this thread seems a little more important now.

You obviously didn't read or care to share that the rest of the thread informs the op that Woodstock has already addressed this issue on early models and the parts have been upgraded. The op will call Woodstock and all will be corrected.

You obviously didn't read or care to share that the rest of the thread informs the op that Woodstock has already addressed this issue on early models and the parts have been upgraded. The op will call Woodstock and all will be corrected.

Well that's awesome bud. Too bad Wampum didn't have the same experience with his ongoing warping issues.

Latest posts

Back