CB 6048 questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking at a place out of town with a few acres, location is Southern MN. Place comes with a CB 6048 of 2008 vintage that is supplying a HX in the propane FA furnace plenum, and another HX hanging in the 2 stall attached garage. Home was built in 2004, 3500 SQ FT and should be fairly well insulated but I don't know the exact details. Being a wood stove guy that averages 3 cords a season, I was concerned that this new place would need 12-20full cords that some report pushing thru a 6048 (60 CU FT firebox afterall) SO - I ask the seller what his wood usage is- "oh about a wheel barrow load every 3-4 days". He also has a wood shed that might hold 5-6 cords and mentioned he typically will not use all the wood in the wood shed during the season. So BS or possible ?

I call BS. It would go through more than that in the middle of the summer just keeping the boiler hot. 12-20 sounds bout right

Not really that big an area for a 6048. Mine heats 3000 square foot two story house with 1800 square foot basement apt, 2 car garage, and 1500 square foot out building. We also use a ton of hot water. I use at least 15 cords during the winter. When the weather is cold I fill it twice a day and go through roughly a cord a week. Hard to believe you will burn 6 cords or less.

:) Must be one airtight house. Will you take your neighbors with you? Or did they move out, don't really remember how the thread ended.

Haha- unfortunatley they are still there. Believe me any place we buy is not going to have anyone close enough to care how much firewood I bring home, where it's stacked or anything else I'm doing on my property..

:) Must be one airtight house. Will you take your neighbors with you? Or did they move out, don't really remember how the thread ended.

Sounds like he is trying to sell something. Tell him to fire it up and see what it burns in this weather. I bet it won't go 3-4 days on one load this time of year. They burn a lot of wood. Everyone I know that owns a conventional boiler burns between 8 and 10 cord per year. There is a lot of water to keep at 180 for months

Not really that big an area for a 6048. Mine heats 3000 square foot two story house with 1800 square foot basement apt, 2 car garage, and 1500 square foot out building. We also use a ton of hot water. I use at least 15 cords during the winter. When the weather is cold I fill it twice a day and go through roughly a cord a week. Hard to believe you will burn 6 cords or less.

The firebox in the 6048 is 60 cubic feet. A cord is 128 cubic ft. Seems like 2 fills a day would be more than a cord a week. Must be small fills?

gg

Was he using the boiler as primary heat or supplemental heat? As an example, we leave our gas furnace t-stat set at 62° so it will kick in on occasion.

Well maybe he was only starting a fire in it every 3-4 days, thus only using a wheel barrow load???????
I say BS!

I have a CL40 which is basically 1st gen 6048.I use 8-9 cord for 2600 sq feet.You will be putting wood in twice per day.I do mine a 7 am and 5 pm.Not packed tight though.No Wayyyyyyyyy is he using that little of amount of wood.But I am 75% softwood also.I bet I could knock off a cord or so if used all hardwood.

Latest posts

Back