CB CL 6048 - New USER Question.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deerhntr

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm New to the forum, but I have been lurking for a while. I have finally decided to make the plunge and stop paying the Saudi Arabian Tax. I am going to Install a Central Boiler CL 6048. I have a 3500 sq ft well insulated 10 yr old house, oil fired Hot water(radiant and baseboard), and a 60x50 insulated steel building, hot air space heater, that I want to heat.

I live in eastern PA, near Allentown.

My question is: How much wood should I plan on putting up for next year? Now I know this is a loaded question, but I would like to get an idea from users on this forum as to how many full cords they use, and how much did they assume when they first started using their OWB.

Thanks for your Help.

Russ F.
Kutztown,PA

I'm gonna say 12 full will be a good start. It's gonna be trial and error the first year until you figure out what you burn, and what your gonna keep the temp at in the 60x50 building is gonna be a factor also. A little bigger pile won't hurt! LOL!

Hey...And welcome!!!

I'm gonna say 12 full will be a good start. It's gonna be trial and error the first year until you figure out what you burn, and what your gonna keep the temp at in the 60x50 building is gonna be a factor also. A little bigger pile won't hurt! LOL!

Hey...And welcome!!!

I found a energy calculator on the penn state web site, and if I take my estimated gallons of #2 fuel oil, account for efficiency conversion, I come up with 18 Full cords. Seems like alot. I spoke to my local dealer, and he said ~12, like your response.

Currently, I run the out building at 45 - 50. Just to take the edge off, and not let stuff freeze.
Russ

I also run 6048 that services two buildings. If I were you I would be safe and have at least 20 cords available. Also recommend that you keep spare circulation pump on hand. Mine uses 2 Taco 009's and I have had 2 fail in 2 years of 24/7/365 operation. Good luck. I love my OWB.

I put in a e-classic last fall and used around 16 face cords so far . I am planing on doing 2 years worth of wood this year to get a better idea on what I am using.Not sure if it is 30% less wood than others but I do like it.

I also run 6048 that services two buildings. If I were you I would be safe and have at least 20 cords available. Also recommend that you keep spare circulation pump on hand. Mine uses 2 Taco 009's and I have had 2 fail in 2 years of 24/7/365 operation. Good luck. I love my OWB.

Like I said above, if I do a straight BTU calculation adjusted for efficiency, I come up with 18 Cords.

As for the circulation pumps, that is good input. So far(knock on wood) the pumps in my house have held up 10+years. Of course they don't run 24/7. Now I won't run my OWB 365, since my township only allows september to may. But I will keep a spare pump on hand.
Thanks,
Russ.
BTW, I will post my progress as we go. I plan to do all the work myself except the inside copper work.

I put in a e-classic last fall and used around 16 face cords so far . I am planing on doing 2 years worth of wood this year to get a better idea on what I am using.Not sure if it is 30% less wood than others but I do like it.

I looked at the e-classic, but with my outbuilding, the load is to large. I spoke today with my local dealer, and he said CB was planning a larger E-classic to meet the epa phase II certification, but I'm not sure I want to wait. The are offering a rebate now, so I'm going to pull the trigger on a classic.

Russ

I have a 6048 and love it, I heat my 3600sq ft home and used about 10-11 cords. My temp is set on 78 and heat my hot water. I have found that my OWB I set my temp higher then really need... I just cut more wood.. I bet you will find yourself doing that in your building, so get 14+ IMO

Latest posts

Back