chain brake

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't let these guys discourage you, most engineering doesn't have a practical use (stihl flip caps). Most new technology finds a practical home in something other than what it was originally designed. But there are better grades and more money in practical improvements.

if i had to replace a "key" every time i put the chainbrake on, i would be changing the "key" after every cut. I average about 2000 - 3000 chain brake manual activations per 8 hour shift, esp during firewood season, and you quickly see that that idea is, well, not so good.

just saying.....

Perhaps a second type of inertia activated brake, in addition to the factory band brake. It only activates during a kickback. Basically, the key brakes off which allows the crank to spin freely, but the chain stops spinning. I don't know, I'm at a loss.

I feel for you though. You're trying to think of something that needs improving, and your mind is blank. Don't worry, after you've turned in your project and you can think clearly again, you'll come up with an awesome idea! haha.

I totally lucked out in high school. They didn't start senior projects until the year after I graduated. boooyyyaaaa

Perhaps a second type of inertia activated brake, in addition to the factory band brake. It only activates during a kickback. Basically, the key brakes off which allows the crank to spin freely, but the chain stops spinning. I don't know, I'm at a loss.

errr.... that's how a chain brake (on Stihls for sure) already operates... inertial AND manual.:D

See,in my method nothings happens, all you have to do is replace a piece of keystock. :yoyo:

Quick take here> What you have neglected to address is the inertia of the moving chain, with your method as I understand it, there is going to be nothing stopping the chain right away, this would make it a bit late to save faces. Sthil's (and other's) chain brakes work the way they do, because it works! This is a 'mouse trap' best left to engineers with big$ and amongst other flaws in your thinking who the heck is going to want to carry a pocket full of key-stock? :p (jk)
Just my 0.02$ worth.

:cheers: (better find another project m8!, no offence)

Serge

Last edited:
Okay, here's a simple one. I've wanted to do this for over 10 years and haven't got round to it. Design a wood splitter that works on the momentum of the next block being dropped. I often get my groundman to place a rock under a large block and then drop the next block on it to try halfing it. You would need space to use it and no one could be within bounce range, but I thought some type of crossed wedges welded to a bottom plate might work. Place a block on top and ...

Okay, here's a simple one. I've wanted to do this for over 10 years and haven't got round to it. Design a wood splitter that works on the momentum of the next block being dropped. I often get my groundman to place a rock under a large block and then drop the next block on it to try halfing it. You would need space to use it and no one could be within bounce range, but I thought some type of crossed wedges welded to a bottom plate might work. Place a block on top and ...
AH! Genius at work lolol, how 'bout the same idea that LIFTS the next block up! :D

how 'bout the same idea that LIFTS the next block up! :D

LOL, on the initial trials I could see trying to explain to WC how the climber got hit with his previous block. The drop-splitter and teeter totter lift! :D

Latest posts

Back