Chain Break Mania

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't disable ABS but I've rarely had it activate even in heavy breaking situations. I'm obviously not an F1 or WRC driver. I just dont feel that the electronics are as helpful in a lot of situations as the manufacturer and government want you to think they are.

They are very helpful in that they make their drivers feel invincible. We make a lot of money hauling their sorry asses out of the ditch every winter, deck trucks and tow gear is tied up solid every snowfall, traffic is grid locked for hours on end due to the vehicles off the road and tow/recovery gear needing to get them removed.

ERC,

I've got underwear older than you. Well, not really, but I like that line...Ha!

I'm pretty sure that you would do well to listen to some of the older farts on here from time to time. However, that is not in your nature, as you continually try to teach...No respect for others' knowledge. Pretty proud of yourself. Oh well.

The exceptions are small, compared to the number of lives saved.

People used to regularly get impaled by their steering wheels or have their heads crushed against a spidered windshield. Guys who get 'thrown clear' would often break their necks, or get rolled over by the vehicle they were thrown from (this still happens a lot on farm tractors).

So, yeah, there are exceptions, which often get over emphasized in anecdotes. But I don't know of many folks who were hurt because they had their chain brake 'on'.

Philbert

I was the first on the scene of a fatal rollover, where my parents moored their boathouse, had been a log Dump site in the past, and some of the machinery mountings were still in place. one night some Friends and I were down at the river, and there was some horrible noises in the parking lot, and a bunch of gravel and debris came flying off the cliff, we went up to the lot double timing it, a car came around the curve too fast, and rolled through the parking lot, a kid of about 12 years old was thrown out of the car, and would have been amongst the gravel and debris splashing into the river, except that one of the bolts still protruding from the stone, impaled him at the base of the skull, stopping him right there, probably wouldn't have made any difference in the end though, chances that he would have survived the fall to the river wouldn't have been much better.

The driver was also thrown from the vehicle, he survived, but his toes were pointing forwards, over his shoulders, from BEHIND him, not surprisingly, there were plenty of Beer Cans scattered around and in the car

We went back down to the Boathouse, and I sent my friends back up with some blankets, while I called 911 through the Marine operator via VHF marine band radio, as the house had been moved from it's normal slip for remodeling work, and didn't have a land line connection, and this was before cell phones were anything more than **** Tracy's fabulous watch.

Unfortunately, the Kid was DOA, and the drivers injuries were more than we had the skills or supplies to do much for him, but that radio call got a Life Flight in the air, and on scene PDQ, I never heard how the driver fared, should have survived, but I would have to imagine that he spent some time as a Guest of the county for the Kids death, but having to LIVE with that would be much worse than any time spent in jail,

Doug :cheers:

I've got underwear older than you. Well, not really, but I like that line...Ha!

I'm pretty sure that you would do well to listen to some of the older farts on here from time to time. However, that is not in your nature, as you continually try to teach...No respect for others' knowledge. Pretty proud of yourself. Oh well.
You're wrong on that account. I have massive respect for age and experience. I don't have respect for blind followers and those who expect followers out of anyone younger than that never question them.

You're the proud one in this thread. I'm not the one boasting of my driving prowess without any proof other than 'I've been doing this for years.'

I spent most of my teen and 20's in rear wheel drive, manual transmission, mostly non-abs equipped vehicles in Wisconsin winters...

I've wasted hundreds of gallons of gas doing nothing but back road drifting on ****** tires because I was too broke to buy good winter tires and it was fun as hell. Gravel logging roads, dirt logging roads, paved country roads...all of it.

Now I have the means to buy snow tires on another set of rims and swap them out when the white stuff flies. I still go hang the rear end of the truck out around some sweeping corners in the country now and then cuz it's a blast!

Wisconsin is no Alberta...but we have and do get plenty of snow around here. 45 miles one way to work for me...no matter the weather.

I spent 15 hours driving 20mph through an ice storm going down to Peoria Illinois one time...what a horrid time that was. We stopped counting the number of cars in the ditch before we even hit the Illinois border.

So I do have experience with both ABS equipped, non-equipped, non-snow tires, snow tires, FWD, RWD, 4WD, AWD in limited and very limited traction surfaces....Hell I rode a friends CRF250 on studded ice tires out on Lake Waubesa for a few weekends a few years ago. That was fun.

PS, you can't "hang the rear end out" with traction control in a pickup. ??? Or barely, or not worth a **** anyway. That's a typical problem with traction control, you can't get the front end pointed the way you want cause you can't put the rearend where you want.

are you sure you know wtf you are talking about?

there's a few on here looking and pointing and winking and chuckling..

PS, you can't "hang the rear end out" with traction control in a pickup. ??? Or barely, or not worth a **** anyway. That's a typical problem with traction control, you can't get the front end pointed the way you want cause you can't put the rearend where you want.

are you sure you know wtf you are talking about?

there's a few on here looking and pointing and winking and chuckling..

My pickup is from 2002. No TC to be found.

Also, it's not difficult to disable TC/ABS/SC even on cars without a button to do so...assuming you have some electronics knowledge.

Well then. How is it that you haven't learned the limitations of ABS and traction control then?

i guess you are a very slow learner or something?
Like I said....ABS from the 90's is far different than the ABS of today.

Also...I'm not a super human like you. I can't modulate the brakes with 4 different pedals several times per second like you claim to be able to do.

Anyone notice differences in chain brake sensitivity?

My 372 and 395 are hard brakes to engage, and seem just as hard to trigger from shock rather than your hand which isn’t it’s ideal design. However, my 562 is extremely sensitive, and will indeed automatically engage when you get a kick back.
I wonder if there is a way to safely modify them to be a little more sensitive for people that like that sort of thing?

And I didn't claim that at all. I did claim that I can out-drive the abs and traction control I've been exposed to (up to 2015 model year pickups of several brands). At one time easily. My driving skills are fading somewhat DUE TO abs and traction control making decisions for me, that's for sure.

Anyone notice differences in chain brake sensitivity?

My 372 and 395 are hard brakes to engage, and seem just as hard to trigger from shock rather than your hand which isn’t it’s ideal design. However, my 562 is extremely sensitive, and will indeed automatically engage when you get a kick back.
I wonder if there is a way to safely modify them to be a little more sensitive for people that like that sort of thing?

big time! My Echo 590 engages at the merest suggestion..It was troublesome at first, but I don't notice it now (I hadn't even thought about that in a while, yet I saw it as a problem initially). My 262xp is pretty sensitive also.

the study is ****. It's a wet ****ing parking lot for **** sakes!

Wrong.

"Nine surface types were used for this study: dry asphalt, wet asphalt, dry concrete, wet polished concrete, wet epoxy, wet Jennite, grass, loose gravel, and an epoxy/sand surface...This study also utilized a specially designed ABS test course. Created in mid-1996, the course was designed to evaluate ABS performance over a series of simulated "real world" test pads...
This study involved four stopping maneuvers: 1) straight line, 2) curve, 3) J-turn, and 4) single lane change."

On eight of the nine surfaces, ABS outperformed non-ABS. On one of the nine (loose gravel), non-ABS won.

And that was using ABS technology from the 1990s.

Ever try decaf?

big time! My Echo 590 engages at the merest suggestion..It was troublesome at first, but I don't notice it now (I hadn't even thought about that in a while, yet I saw it as a problem initially). My 262xp is pretty sensitive also.
Since were back on topic for a few seconds. My 590 takes a a noticable amount of pressure to engage manually but will trip in a kick back situation. I'd say the 7910 is more sensitive and easier to trip.

Back