chain cleaning ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do hundreds of chains a year, best solution I came up with, for me, is media blast ( aka sand blast cabinet) using crushed corn cob or walnut shells. If badly rustedor really gunked up I will toss it in the solvent tank and leave there until last , blast it off run it over a small round fixture to get all the links articulating again. Most of the traditional methods were to slow. I would never take a chain to a power wire brush that is just a disaster waiting to happen as listed above.

believe it or not, lots of guys shoot and eat wild hogs here. I do too. tastes great barbequed. and they butcher the hogs w/their chain saws (I don't) and drop em off to the competition caked with guts, hair, bone, you name it. and they get em back the same way, but sharp. I refuse to do that. I want the customer to get back a clean chain.

YUCK......that's got to be one messy saw & chain.

Welcome to A.S.

I like to clean chains before sharpening so that I can see what I am working with, look for needed repairs, and keep gunk out of my grinder wheels. Started a few threads on this. Tried several things.

Current method:
- swish in a commercial cleaner/degreaser with sodium hydroxide (lye): 'Super Clean', some Zep or Rubbermaid products, etc. Not all 'purple cleaners' have it: you have to read the label.

- brush with old toothbrush, as needed.

- dry 15 minutes in 150 degree F oven on old cookie sheet to remove moisture and prevent rust.

- sharpen, repair, etc.

- re-lube with WD-40 (or whatever you choose).

Philbert

Check out these threads:

Philbert Meets the STIHL RS3
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/philbert-meets-the-stihl-rs3.202969/

Philbert's Chain Salvage Challenge
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/philberts-chain-salvage-challenge.245369/

i need to visit this site more often. thats funny. first time you are driving the "roads" and see a homemade sign on a post stating VFD (volunteer fire dept for u city folks) WILD HOG COOK OFF. PRIZES AWARDED FOR THE BEST RIBS AND BRISKET. $5 A PLATE WITH ALL THE SIDES you know u are in for a real treat. if ur new to the area and you go, everyone just sits around and stares at you. about the 3 rd time you attend one, and you haven't gotten anyones wife or mule pregnant they will ask you where ur from etc etc. and who you vote for.

Latest posts

Back