Chain Climbing out of Bar groove!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
how about a pic of the chain flush and another of it 'up'
leave the cover off and put a bar nut on to hold everything after you get it all tensioned up.
this is turning into a guessing game
-Ralph

Well Ralph, your suggestion prompted me to find two spacers so I could tighten the bar withour the cover and it was interesting.
It seems like the rim sprocket 'twists' slightly and when it does the driver climbs up on the outbouard edge of the bar!! The odd thing is that this rim sprocket doesn't feel to have any more or less slop than the one on my 361. For the heck of it I did the same test on the 361 using the same 16" bar & chain and all stayed aligned and I courd turn the chain to my hearts content. AGH>>>
Can someone tell me if the drum # 1121 1160 2910 is a problem here?
My file uplooading keeps failing...

Thanks again for those of you that have helped.

Did you get the parts to switch from .325 to 3/8ths from the Stihl dealer?

And can you explain your comment "I came here first as the dealer I purchased from has been taxed to his limit throughout the process."?

Take the rim sprocket and look in the slots where the driver links go in and make sure there is not a casting flaw in the sprocket.

I bought the saw from one of the dealers is my greater area. I asked for the saw to have a 16" ES bar, 3/8 pitch and .050 gauge. The saw came through with a .325 setup. I sent it back and after two weeks they told me it couldn't be setup the way I wanted it. So I came to this site, asked questions about the conversion, got part numbers from those in the know and then went to the dealer and tried to be diplomatic. They agreed to get me a new bar & chain, as well as the new 3/8-7 rim sprocket. Well a week later a 16" e bar came in, and a rim sprocket with the large ID ( like the one on my 361, and the kicker was that the rim was in a mislabeled bag. It had the CORRECT part # for the 260 application. The problem is that the dealer had no clue there was an error and I'm learning as I go. So we go back and forth a few more times and they get me a new rim & es bar. I get the parts this past Friday to set it up and just couldn't believe the results...
I'll check the rim out later...

did the 260 get upgraded to the large spline? my 360 had the small and the dealer says they are all going to th large spline, but he had a bunch of both in stock. I have since replaced it with the large spline.
-Ralph

Well...got back from framing complicated roof lines all day and yep, there it is this dang pos 260. Shoot, it didn't fix itself...sure glad my worm drive saw didn't give me any grief, a trusted friend.
Any words of wisdom from the wise forum users this evening ....

You just need the right size rim... 0000 642 1231. Same rim that's used on the 029, 310, 034, 036, MS270 etc..

I'm still confused though - if you have the wrong rim, surely you notice is way too large to fit the drum?

How about some pictures?

did the 260 get upgraded to the large spline? my 360 had the small and the dealer says they are all going to th large spline, but he had a bunch of both in stock. I have since replaced it with the large spline.
-Ralph

026/260 - Nope..

The 36/360 got upgraded, as did the MS290 etc. They use the big fat bearing, and larger spline on newer kits.

Your confused?...imagine how I feel....I'm going nuts here...
I do have the rim with the small ID, part # on the bag I opened matches the one you list ( markedly different that the rimI pulled off the 361...
Thanks though.

If the Rim fits on the drum, is the correct size (3/8 - not "Picco 3/8), your bar is 3/8 and the correct size (0/063 or 0.050), and you chain is 3/8 and a matching groove width, it will work... One of the 3 in wrong - bar, chain or rim.

OK. So, all conditions are met; right rim, 3/8x7, right bar 3/8 .050 and same chain...
Except when I adjust the chain tension and give the chain a few pulls by hand the chain climbs up on the outboard edge of the bar just forward of the rim to the point where the bottom of the drivers are OUt of the groove. DO I just ignore this and start it up??

John, you're more patient than I am. I'd have started the saw long ago and seen what happened. If you're hand spinning the chain, do it in the correct direction but even then your movement might be pulling that chain sideways.
You are doing all that with the shield on aren't you? If not, it will pull the whole bar sideways enough to give you the results you're seeing. Is the chain tensioner peg seated in the hole on the bar?

To recap:
Bar # is 3003 000 8813, 16" ES 3/8" .050
Rim is stamped 3/8-7t, came in a bag with part #0000 642 1231.
Chains are 33 rsc or rm both 60 drivers...

Whats the worst that can happen if I fire it up?
I'll probably just run it to the dealer tomorrow and let them see it.
Thanks again

Well to try & see what the heck was going on, I went and set the bar & chain up with the cover off, sets the nuts on spacers, tightened so I could adjust the chain and hold the bar rigid... I pull the chain from the sprocket end...
And yes, tensioner is properly seated...
thanks

Worst that can happen is the chain will just run part way off track, bind and stop the clutch or the chain will come completely off the bar. The only damage I've seen from that is the bottom of the drivers will get scuffed up and may need filing to refit the bar groove. Probably had that happen a few hundred times over the years.

Back