Chain Climbing out of Bar groove!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, it's new and you have the right parts so I guess the time has come to put the fire in the hole. Wear your goggles, gloves and a coat, take a strong drink and let us know what happens. We feel pretty safe on this side of the USA. I'm betting it will function like it's supposed to.

Worst that can happen is the chain will just run part way off track, bind and stop the clutch or the chain will come completely off the bar. The only damage I've seen from that is the bottom of the drivers will get scuffed up and may need filing to refit the bar groove. Probably had that happen a few hundred times over the years.

I guess you've never seen what can happen if a chain comes off the bar at speed have you? Usually the results aren't an issue, but sometimes the chain contacts the user, which isn't a pretty sight. There is also the potential for saw damage if it strikes correctly.

Well, I had a chain jump bar a few times, once from being pinched and me trying to pull out quickly and the others for unknown reasons. Just the thought of that happening on new stuff sucks... thats why I'm running it back to the dealer today.
Thanks

Well, I had a chain jump bar a few times, once from being pinched and me trying to pull out quickly and the others for unknown reasons. Just the thought of that happening on new stuff sucks... thats why I'm running it back to the dealer today.
Thanks

That's the only approach left to you at this point then John. As with any problem (Realize, Analyze and Act). You had two choices, it's your saw and you chose which action to take and that makes it the best one. Do let us know the outcome. That problem seems to defy all reason.

I guess you've never seen what can happen if a chain comes off the bar at speed have you? Usually the results aren't an issue, but sometimes the chain contacts the user, which isn't a pretty sight. There is also the potential for saw damage if it strikes correctly.

The difference might be between a saw such as the 025 and one you may be referring to. I've logged for 19 years with saws in the 3HP range and have allowed (insisted) that my daughters run saws in our family operation, had young teenagers run them, (my wife is as proficient as most men) and have never had a loose chain do damage to the operator. I wouldn't feel safe having them run my Poulan 5200 however. Call me lucky ? It will be interesting to see the outcome of JohnCusickjr's situation.

The difference might be between a saw such as the 025 and one you may be referring to. I've logged for 19 years with saws in the 3HP range and have allowed (insisted) that my daughters run saws in our family operation, had young teenagers run them, (my wife is as proficient as most men) and have never had a loose chain do damage to the operator. I wouldn't feel safe having them run my Poulan 5200 however. Call me lucky ? It will be interesting to see the outcome of JohnCusickjr's situation.

Little saw, big saw, doesn't matter. If it hits the operator, it's going to cause some damage.

Like I said, usually it isn't an issue, as the chain usually doesn't whip and hit the operator (usually it pops off and stops turning), but why take a chance. If there is another way besides intentionally slinging a chain off the bar at speed, I'm going to take it.

Well. Spent an hour today with the lead mechanic at the dealer I purchased the 260saw from and had the place stumped also. We found a few odd things though and all point to a bad BAR. All diagnosis was done with the side cover off and nuts in various stages of tightness:
1. When we flipped the bar around we couldn't replicate the problem.
2. When we only finger tightened the nuts enough to hold
an adjustment, there was no problem. Tighten them down, bang, it's back.
3. When we turned the chain in reverse it would ride out of the groove on the rim, always to the inside.
So it appears that there is a twist in the bar, not discernable by eye (there wasn't a surface plate around...) A new one is on order, and we'll se Friday. The're ready to give me a new powerhead if this doesn't work.

Thanks again for all the help.

John

Now aren't you glad you didn't take my advice and run the dern thing !!!!

My teenagers are grown so I must be getting smarter every day.

If Stihl has made a lemon here, don't tell the HuskyBoys or we'll never live it down.

Here is an update with a good ending. The dealer got a new 16" ES bar to replace the one we suspected was defective and BINGO, it works like a charm. Ran it most of the weekend limbing several elms we dropped last week and not a hitch. It's a nice light saw for tight areas, much more so that the 361 that I was swapping it out with.
Thanks again for the assistance...
:clap:
John

Back