Chain cutting to the left

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well now, after Jamies far reaching explanations I see a chain with hammered tie straps where they ride on the bar, one side is badly mushroomed while the opposite side is in fairly good condition. This condition will cause a chain to ride in a sideways tipped over condition thus causing the chain to cut to one side. Discuss.

In my photos? The mushroomed up chain on the black bar is a little 16inch hardnose used for cutting dirty blue gum stumps and roots in clay and dirty firewood logs as a sacrificial offering to the keeping warm gods. It dam well should be looking as feral as it does.

Generally speaking if a chain gets to the point of it wants to cut left or right throw it in the bin dress the bar and put a new chain on.

Sure you can do a few thing's to MAKE it cut straight again but in reality the chain most likely has warn down the tie straps on one side already if you have persevered with it for even a few min in a cut if it's really pulling left or right and will be fighting to cut straight again even after the so called fix.

And don't listen to the clowns that state they cut 3 days 30 logs bucking firewood and there chain is still sharp all they are really saying is they don't even know what a sharp chainsaw chain is.

You, my friend, in a lot of what you said, do not know what you're talking about.

Just another of the (when it gets dull, put a new one on) bunch of experts.

How bout, just learn to file a chain and make it cut ..... yes even straight! Lol

You, my friend, in a lot of what you said, do not know what you're talking about.

Just another of the (when it gets dull, put a new one on) bunch of experts.

How bout, just learn to file a chain and make it cut ..... yes even straight! Lol
Looking at videos some of them Aussies post I don't think any of em know how to sharpen a chain. They seem proud to produce dustwith their big saws

Wow guys. It looks like this thread is getting off the rails. (Ha! get it? Loose bar joke?...anybody?...) no need to turn our saws on eachother on the topic of chain sharpening.

The wood I cut here in Utah is everything, and anything that a customer wants me to cut, softwood, hardwood. My crooked chains aren't long and expensive, so if an easy tool doesn't fix them, I will gladly pay the $15 for a new ones.

I have the single raker filing tool on order. I will post some pics, and let you fellas know if it worked or not.

Thanks again to all for your recommendations.

Rogue knows I'm just bs-ing. They cut porcelain masquerading as gum trees over there. When I get one like that here I'm bloody stoked to produce dust. It means the cnrs of the chain haven't been rounded over in the first 5 seconds.

Latest posts

Back