Chain files needed:

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lewis Brander

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hello to all. Well trying to get some old chain sharpened for the next GTG. I'm looking for a 9/32" round smooth file for some 9/16" pitch chain that's on my old Disston. Anyone know where one might be found. I have called my local dealers and checked Baileys (ordered a 1/4" round file for 1/2" chain), but don't see any 9/32" round files listed. Any suggestions would be helpfull. Lewis.

Lewis, I checked McMaster-Carr and they don't have any. Ya might try to find a stone to fit a Dremel™ tool.

To Blacksmith:

Hello and thanks for the help and suggestions, but with these old eyes I wouldn't dare try and use a Dremel tool. The old chain is about 3/4's gone and I'd probably mess it up even worse. The files now are probably as rare as the old chain. If someone had a decent used one I'd be interested. Thanks again. Take care. Lewis.

Last edited:
Hi lewis,

Just a suggestion, have you tried e-mailing file companies such as PFERD, Oregon and others, even the industrial file manufacturers to inquire if they do still manufacture one in that size. They may even have their product distributors who may have some on a shelf buried under dust.

Good luck,

Emails:

Hi, the only email I've sent out today was to Baileys. I'll send out some more tomorrow. Funny thing is, that when the old fellow gave me the saw in 1979, there was an old file in the box that was russted and broken. Should have saved it, maybe could have gotten a little use from it now. OH well. Take care. Lewis.

Lewis there are 5/16 files use for harvester chain. Baileys have them. It is possible it may work, but if the teeth are getting worn back, the 1/4 might be closer. You would have to size it up, but one or the other should be workable.

To Crofter:

Crofter. I did order a 1/4" Woodsman Pro file from Bailey's. It may just work on the worn back saw teeth. Tried to touch them up witha 7/32" file but wasn't really big enough and didn't want to go too far with it I've used smaller files on other chains as they got worn back, but didn't think of it this time around. The 1/4" file just might work. I'll try that when I get it here. You da Man. Thanks for the suggestion. Lewis.

Last edited:
9/32" files:

Hi Mange. Thanks for the link, but they don't list that size file under saw files. This old chain is about as antique and I am. Take care. Lewis.

Reply:

Well got a reply from Bailey's and no luck. Was hoping there might be one hidden away somewhere. Haven't gotten any other replies back as yet. Maybe not till Monday. I'll have to give the local saw shop a call, maybe they'll have one hidden away or know where to get one from a specialty catalog. Talk later. Lewis.

Lewis, I have a potential source for some metric files that are 7.7mm, or .022" bigger than 9/32". Price is reasonable. Shoot me an email or PM if interested.

Latest posts

Back