chain morticers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Railomatic

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying a new chain morticer, does anyone here use such a tool, if so who makes it and what do you think is a good choice or make to use, I will definately buy from the states if the price is right.

Many thanks in advance

Raily.

I seem to remember seeing one somewhere... but can't recall where now, so I know there are out there.

Curious what you want to do with one? Building a cabin?

I'm thinking of buying some oak and making a log store come workshop a little like this one but not as big, I can get second quality oak for around 3 pounds per cube, and the morticer will be quicker than doing it by hand winding machine/drill and mortice chisels.

If I make it a free standing structure I don't need planning permission.

I'm thinking that Mikita makes an electric one. Runs a special bar with a double chain on it so its twice as wide. Used one to to a timber frame maybe 5 yrs ago. Worked pretty good, definatly a must have for timberframing.

There was a bolt on attachment for "worm drive" skilsaws (circle saw) that i use to see in magazines all the time too. It looked to be of pretty good quality and sold for $99.00 at that time...

Since "Ozone Al" (Gore) invented the web, i don't get those magazines any longer, so i'm not sure if it's still available...

Rob

There was a bolt on attachment for "worm drive" skilsaws (circle saw) that i use to see in magazines all the time too. It looked to be of pretty good quality and sold for $99.00 at that time...

Since "Ozone Al" (Gore) invented the web, i don't get those magazines any longer, so i'm not sure if it's still available...

Rob

Hey Rob , that was a Prazi attachment . http://www.praziusa.com/beamcutter.html

Last edited:
:rockn: Scottr -
Many thanks for the Prazi link.Saw a similar type set up from Pro-tool
before i bought the Makita mort..the Pro-tool cost about about $3400AU.
Prazi looks a great option.Less set up than say bandsaw - mills /
Project application - double carport ( post and beam )with a deck on top
I don't know if it would be that good ,for say, post and rail fences where plunge cuts are needed.Certainly on Want list

you can never have enough tools

7104l

Hello Raily,

The Makita 7104L is in pretty heavy use in the US, among the timber framing crowd. It's not the finest example of a chain mortiser available, but it is within the realm of affordability for amateurs (around $1300.00 US). I have used this tool on several occasions and, although some care must be taken during the clamping phase of its operation, it's a pretty effective mortiser. Like many specialized items, you need some practice before you tear into any expensive materials.

Good luck to you ... ;)

..."Ozone Al" (Gore) invented the web...

That's a good one! I was reminded of that yesterday when I saw an article about him perhaps running for president. They showed a picture of him in his office with three 24" LCD screens in front and 1 24" off to the right. All of them were showing stuff from the Internet - which he invented of course.

Regards,

Ted

Latest posts

Back