chain pitch. 3/8 vs .325

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I run Oregon BPX semi chisel on the 350. It's "reduced kickback" chain with the little nubs on the rakers (not the silly ramps like on safety chain). I don't find that this type of chain significantly reduces cutting performance and it's nice to have a bit of kickback reduction with a limbing saw, IMO.

Oregon BPX ok thanks full chisel I'll give that a try.. yah those Stihl safty chain's are garbage.. I've not tryed the Oregon bpx I'll see if I can find one.

If you really want a good, fast chain find some Stihl RS full chisel. It's hard to find on the shelf in .325 though, you may have to get it special order through a dealer.

I've had great luck with Oregon LPX (chisel) sharpened with one of those roller guides on my Husky 246. The speed is decent and it cuts pretty smoothly, great for limbing and pruning cuts

People complain about 3/16 files, but use a roller guide and it's not a problem. Takes a couple sharpenings to get the rythym of moving the guide, but it doesn't slow me down much

They sell the drums for 3/8 picco on eBay.

Not sure if you need a picco bar to match though. I believe picco is .050 and .325 is .063 bar groove.

The 025 I use runs a 16" picco bar and chain and cuts very well. Light saw.

Of course he needs a Picco bar, if he is going to run Picco.

I've had great luck with Oregon LPX (chisel) sharpened with one of those roller guides on my Husky 246. The speed is decent and it cuts pretty smoothly, great for limbing and pruning cuts

People complain about 3/16 files, but use a roller guide and it's not a problem. Takes a couple sharpenings to get the rythym of moving the guide, but it doesn't slow me down much

LPX in .058 or .050 would be the best choise - bit finding a suitable bar may prove a challenge unless you are willing to pay the price of a Cannon Supermini bar with the C1 mount (combo small Husky/small Stihl).

I really like BPX in 0.325", but I'd go with 3/8 lo pro/picco for sure. Some folks just don't realize how fast 3/8 lo pro can be, and I find it very easy to sharpen.

I have a 46cc saw that I've been happy with running 0.325" BPX, but lately I've realized how much the extra load (wider kerf) is slowing it down. I just haven't wanted to spend the money on a new bar for it, and I have no other saw to run the 0.325" bars and chains I have so they would go to waste.

That's possible, I may have missed it? - but the one in the link will not fit the 025/250, as it is a D025 (=3003). He needs an A074 (=3005) bar.

I wasn't sure if that would fit the 250 or not, but I'm sure there's a bar available. Personally I would opt for a 3/8ths low pro setup on a <50cc saw, the 250 doesn't have a lot of power.

I wasn't sure if that would fit the 250 or not, but I'm sure there's a bar available. Personally I would opt for a 3/8ths low pro setup on a <50cc saw, the 250 doesn't have a lot of power.
I have a pair of Stihl o25's, one running .325 and the other running 3/8 low-profile Picco. If I had to pick one up and leave the other behind, I take the one running the 3/8 Picco. Seems like it's not working as hard and cuts just as fast. Then again, if my 026 Pro was available, I'd pick it up and leave both 025's on the bench. Lately, that's been the case.

Hey all. So I've got a 025 stihl with a 18in .325 bar and chain. What is the difference between the 2? Is one better than the other? Can I get a 3/8 sprocket for my 025 and if so should I?
Yes. Order the 3/8 lo pro drum and get a 16" .3005 mount bar for it.
If you can get a 55dl loop of PS for it, you'll like the results. some dealers will only have PM though.
I don't like the .325 on the 1123 series stihl's. 3/8 low pro is the shiz.

If I had to run a .325 chain on that saw, LPX works pretty good. Stihl RS ain't bad either.
Both of those are a full chisel cutter.

Latest posts

Back