Chain Pitch question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well in my findings only a few companies had offered .325 in full comp race chain but almost all had it in 3/8. not sure why but my 066 with3/8 will cut more wood than my 029s w/.325 i guess its because the .325 is a lighter chain and is not as tough as 3/8 IMHO

:spam: :chainsaw: :notrolls2:

Seriously, this guy has too much rep to not be messin with you guys. There's no way this post is for real.:cheers:
:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

UnJacking the thread.......I recently changed the bar and sprocket on my 346 50cc. I prefer 3/8" on it because I don't have to force the chain at all. It sucks through the wood rather then having to be pushed through it. I have another 346 that is stock with the original .325 chain bar and sprocket but I haven't run it in a while. Next time I'm at the wood pile, I'll bring it out and run both saws....Not really a fair comparison but.....:cheers:

Seriously, this guy has too much rep to not be messin with you guys. There's no way this post is for real.:cheers:
:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:]

I don't think he's messing with us, and I and I'm pretty sure he hasn't had much time behind a saw.

Last edited:
If your running a stock 50cc saw cutting 6" + hardwood 325 will cut faster. 60cc should have enough power to pull the faster chain speed of the 3/8 unless it's a doggy one. 325 might cost more due to more cutters and links per foot. Steve

Does that "full comp race chain" that almost all have look anything like this?
Chain015cropped.jpg

Cuz it would be a lot easier to buy it than make it.

Andy

(I guess my discretion is only half working tonight. :) )

How often does that chain break? Steve

the advantage of .325 is chain speed but your chain dulls quicker also 3/8 is a good chain and it is available in full comp, full skip, full chisel...etc where as .325 is not usually a full comp

The (initial) chain speed thing depends on the pin-count of the sprocket and the pitch. If both are 7-pin, the 3/8 one will have the higher speed - but an 8-pin .325 will change the picture - and so on........

Nothing scientific, but I tried both 20lp with a 8 tooth sprocket and 72lp with a 7 tooth sprocket on stock 60cc saw and really couldn't see much difference in performance.

Less then 60cc and a stock 7 tooth, maybe an advantage to the .325 pitch.

No surprices there!

well in my findings only a few companies had offered .325 in full comp race chain but almost all had it in 3/8. not sure why but my 066 with3/8 will cut more wood than my 029s w/.325 i guess its because the .325 is a lighter chain and is not as tough as 3/8 IMHO

well i wonder how my 029s would act with 3/8 i bet it would not do as well as it does now.
it probably depends on saw size because a stock ms170 will have one heck of a time with 3/8 chain IME

:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

I'm at a loss for words.

Haha. I'm not, but I'll exercise discretion and not say them.

Andy

Well Andy, I will........:notrolls2:

UnJacking the thread.......I recently changed the bar and sprocket on my 346 50cc. I prefer 3/8" on it because I don't have to force the chain at all. It sucks through the wood rather then having to be pushed through it. I have another 346 that is stock with the original .325 chain bar and sprocket but I haven't run it in a while. Next time I'm at the wood pile, I'll bring it out and run both saws....Not really a fair comparison but.....:cheers:

The original 95VP/H30 narrow kerf chain will act like you described, as it doesn't do the saw justice - Stihl RS and Oregon LP will, also in .325.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:]

I don't think he's messing with us, and I and I'm pretty sure he hasn't had much time behind a saw.

Look at his profile, he's an 18 yo. Explains alot.

The (initial) chain speed thing depends on the pin-count of the sprocket and the pitch. If both are 7-pin, the 3/8 one will have the higher speed - but an 8-pin .325 will change the picture - and so on........

A 7 tooth 3/8's sprocket is the same outside dia of a 8 tooth .325 sprocket, thats why I used that comparison. The tooth count isn't important between chain pitch, the outside dia is.

I never gave much thought to pitch before, and always just ran the same that the saw came with, but is there an advantage to using .325 over 3/8 or is it just a matter of preference?

The .325 is smaller and is used on smaller saws usually. on saws 50 to 60 CC either one will usually work. The 3/8 (.375) is larger and heavier and is used on the larger more powerful saws. In most instances either one will work well. Be sure you match the drive sprocket and the bar sprocket to the chain.

A variety of cutter types is available in both. I recommend the pro chain over the low kickback chain. Keep it sharp with a good file.

A lot of good info on saw chain is available on the Oregon web site.:greenchainsaw:

This thread has got me thinking, I have not seen any comparisons of the chains on the same saws. I have 4 Stihl 044/ MS440`s actually 2 of each and I also have reels of 3/8 and .325 Stihl chain, also have 20" bars in both pitches as I run them on the 026`s. After Christmas I am going to order up some ,325 drive rings for those saws and run 3/8 and .325 side by side. I have not run .325 pitch on a saw over 55 cc`s so it will be an interesting experiment for me.
Maybe get the stopwatches out and do some timed cuts with lots of onlookers for backup. I will also set the saws maximum rpm`s with the tach to keep it fair. When I am working them I set them for 12,000 rpm but if I am being a jerk and competing against some other jerk I will run them at 14,000 for a tank or two. Should not matter as long as they are both set the same. I will also switch the setups from saw to saw so that each saw runs both chains.
Someone chime in and tell me if there is anything else I should do to run this experiment to get a fair outcome.
Pioneerguy600

i love messing with you guys full comp race chain is custom made by the racer to suit their saw and technique.. but i will tell you i had a great time making you guys think "omg did he really just say that?" happy holidays im off to spread some more christmas chaos... hope you all enjoyed it

Latest posts

Back