Chain Pitch question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i love messing with you guys full comp race chain is custom made by the racer to suit their saw and technique.. but i will tell you i had a great time making you guys think "omg did he really just say that?" happy holidays im off to spread some more christmas chaos... hope you all enjoyed it
Did you ever figure out why your 066 will out cut your 029???:monkey:

3/8 chain has bigger cutters so they stand more sharpenings than 325.
It also has less cutters so theres less to sharpen.

I was up where Sawtroll lives just last month, and I can confirm that it is indeed cold where he lives, however the cold is only part of it, the big problem for me was the lack of daylight, it is pitch black by 2pm! No sun at all now.
Tromso was not that bad cold wise, but we went up into Finnmark which extends right over to Russia and it was -15c when we called into a town called Kirkenes.
It is dry cold though and doesn't seem to me to be as bad as the high humidity damp cold +8deg here.
I like Norway but would prefer to have visited in the summer TBH.

Lets get this straight, 325 has less chain speed than 3/8 but more torque due to the lower chain speed and will cut faster in bigger hardwood with the same power. This high chain speed is just BS in real life. Steve

This thread has got me thinking, I have not seen any comparisons of the chains on the same saws. I have 4 Stihl 044/ MS440`s actually 2 of each and I also have reels of 3/8 and .325 Stihl chain, also have 20" bars in both pitches as I run them on the 026`s. After Christmas I am going to order up some ,325 drive rings for those saws and run 3/8 and .325 side by side. I have not run .325 pitch on a saw over 55 cc`s so it will be an interesting experiment for me.
Maybe get the stopwatches out and do some timed cuts with lots of onlookers for backup. I will also set the saws maximum rpm`s with the tach to keep it fair. When I am working them I set them for 12,000 rpm but if I am being a jerk and competing against some other jerk I will run them at 14,000 for a tank or two. Should not matter as long as they are both set the same. I will also switch the setups from saw to saw so that each saw runs both chains.
Someone chime in and tell me if there is anything else I should do to run this experiment to get a fair outcome.
Pioneerguy600

I actually tried 044 with 18" 9 pin 325" before. I didn't time cut but probably little bit slower than 3/8 with 8 pin which is about the same diameter. I think the problem was the cutters couldn't remove enough chips fast enough. I remember it stop cutting to discharge the chip in the middle of cut.

Lets get this straight, 325 has less chain speed than 3/8 but more torque due to the lower chain speed and will cut faster in bigger hardwood with the same power. This high chain speed is just BS in real life. Steve

With both 325" & 3/8" with 7 pin rim, 325" rim is smaller so I would think the chain speed would be slower. Yet with more cutters to remove more material to make up for the speed.

With both 325" & 3/8" with 7 pin rim, 325" rim is smaller so I would think the chain speed would be slower. Yet with more cutters to remove more material to make up for the speed.

It is due to the torque applied to the chian is why 325 cuts faster on a 50cc saw, nothing to do with chip removal unless your cutting something like balsa. Steve

right, smaller rim = higher torque but slower chain speed. I think we are thinking same.

Last edited:
Look at his profile, he's an 18 yo. Explains alot.
:bowdown:
You guys are right again.
nk??? narrow kerf? like picco? if so i would assume it would
:monkey:
doh.gif

I think the advantage of a .325 pitch is a smoother cut. Also, much less kickback. Good for brush and <2" stuff where a 3/8 might throw a stick at you.

3/8" chain cuts faster plain and simple, as long as the saw can pull the bigger cutters (pico/LP excluded).

The 325 smaller cutters and narrower kerf make more, smaller chips.

I definitely prefer the "feel" of my 3/8" 346. I like it when the saw does all the work.

The question I have is what is the difference between 325 and 3/8 lo-pro in the wood? I only have one saw with lo-pro and its in a class all its own.

Sawtroll

I googled where u live! geeeeeeeeeee - does it get cold up there?? Is that laplander country ??

ps: Do "you" cut hardwood at all??

Do a search fo SawTroll cold up there

Ahhh never mind here it is again!

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=38001&page=17&highlight=sawtroll+cold

That link will answer it pretty well!

Regarding lapps - they sure are around here with their raindeer, but they far from dominate the area.

Last edited:
Back