chain prices

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My dealer (read stealer) tried to charge me $.60 a link for a 92 drive link chain of Oregon lgx plus a $5 loop fee. If I want 93 dl premade Stihl is like $54. Talk about rip offs. I order 2 for the price of one from one of my favorite places on the west coast for like $.20 a dl. Just hate waiting:(

The 2 for 1 shop is my favorite place to shop. I just wish I could do it in person myself. My local dealers are the same price for oregon as they are stihl so if I have to buy some it's stihl as it will out last the oregon by a bit.

I try to give them as much of my business as possible. The saved a roll of Oregon CJX (last one they had) for me until payday and then spun me 6 loops no charge. Almost every time I order I get a hat or gloves or something fun to show appreciation. I wish I could go there one day in person. They have some cool stuff I've heard to check out.

Yeah you never know what will be in the box when you order. I wish there were local shops like that.

Stihl, Carlton and Oregon all cost within .50$ of each other per loop of chain so
anyone who tells you otherwise is lying or buying from a cheaper distributor than I am.

12-14" chains 14-16$
16-18" chains 18-20$
20-24" chains 22-25$

We use to stick close to a 1$ per bar inch but all of our cost went up by about 2$ per
loop in late 2011-early 2012.

I only stock a couple 25' rolls of no 100' rolls everything else is pre-made loops.
Since the cost difference is only 1-2 cents per drive link and any savings is lost in labor
of breaking and spinning loops

Last edited:
One thing I'll add to this conversation is that, as a Stihl dealer, saw chain is the only item that really makes money on the Stihl isle. We make very little on equipment (we use Stihl Suggested retail). When you factor in the amount of money in equipment inventory, its a very poor return on investment. Most of the accessories are same poor margin. Basically we give away equipment so that we can make money on parts and chain. Power tool are the same way. We sell some Black and Decker drills that literally have $1 of profit. But we make money off the bits and blades, which have very high mark ups. Im guessing printer companies make money off ink, not printers.

I stopped at another stihl / john deere dealer the other day and founf the 25" chain RS was $30 and a 28" RSC3 (?) in 3/8 .050 was $44:taped::taped: FML!! That is a huge increase for about 9 more
dl's. Just bought some files and then left while I still had some money left:dizzy:
Steve

Stihl's suggested retail price is @ double that of the dealer price, and parts are priced so that dealer cost is @ 65% of retail, the dealer is
free to sell at whatever price he wants. Bigger dealers get bigger discounts on parts and chain, etc. So they can sell for less
if they wish.
But you guys know the dealer cost going in, so if the dealer sells for anything higher than cost, he becomes a "Stealer".

I don't bother trying to sell chains online, the big guys have the price crazy low, but some make up for it in the shipping cost.

Like anything else, I stock up when it's on sale. I just got 3 16" bar AND chain combos from Baileys for 12.99 each. They list them at 16.99 each or buy 3 or more for 12.99 each. Yeah, that's an awesome deal! They have some left, on the clearance page.

One of our local Stihl dealers sells Stihl chain half price every October. I stock up well at that time of year.

Back