Chain Questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is the trouble with Stihl chain here - so most of my chain actually is Oregon - and that isn't a problem at all!

Mine is a different cause, back when my daughter was born, not a pot to wiz in, or window to toss it out of.

Stihl was good to me, granted me a franchise with $3500. US. starting capital.

Make mine Stihl.

I figured up some math to see how many trees that would be over time.

100 trees a day, everyday(100X365)for 54.8 years, comes out to 2,000,200 trees. 200 over 2 mil. I believe a pro faller could fall 100 a day but the rest is far fetched.

Do you work Sundays homie?:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :dizzy: :dizzy:

I'm sorry to burst your bubble here 2000 but your math is way off.
Don't think PNW big trees here! The 20 years I was a pieceworker [cut & skid faller] for a large pulp and paper company in northern Manitoba ending around 1994, I worked in a 2 man crew harvesting treelength white & black spruce. I cut, my partner ran the skidder. I used a 70cc saw with 16-18" b/c. My partner ran a Cat 518 or Clarke Ranger 666 skidder with 20 chokers. Our trees here are like hair on a dogs back, only limbs near the top and growing very close to each other with an average b.h.dia. of around 6", some smaller some bigger and an average height of 40 to 50 ft.Our forestland in Manitoba is larger then the whole P.N.W. put together and our ground is table flat. We had a system as a team to work off a straight face cut on our assigned ribboned off block of timber [40 acres average].Other crews working next to us. Our trees here on the average lean southeast, so we run our block's face west to east, with our felled trees laying southeast. I felled the trees all straight in one direction up to a 1/2 treelength deep along the face into the clearing.The smaller trees I could hand bunch together before they hit the ground.I usually just made a slash for a notch almost flush to the ground[allow a few inches for moss]. My skidder operator backbladed the trees so the butts were all even in a straight line and he backbladed the limbs off at the same time. I went along behind him and cut off the stray limbs and tops with the saw. My partner would then choke up and then skid the load to the pile at the landing up to 500 ft away.I would help him pull out the mainline and choke the first 10 chokers or so. In the smaller trees I cut up to 3 trees a minute. Our record production in 40 hrs [5 days] was 305 cords or 750 cubic meters in bigger timber. In the smallest timber [topped at 25-30 ft treelength] 150 cords in 40 hrs. We worked like the best athletes with not a step wasted and on piecework we made excellent wages .We took no coffee breaks and only 1/2 hr for lunch. In 6 mths of the year here it is 20 degrees below or colder and I did very little delimbing ,just skidding the load to the landing would break the limbs off.We took the weekends off and recharged our batteries for Monday morning. I am being conservative here at 1 tree a minute makes 480 in a 8 hr day.x 20 days a month =9,600 a month x 11 mths a yr=105,600 x 20 years =2,112,000. And I didn't even include the smallest trees at 3 a minute or the extra days in the longer months.

Our small slow growing spruce trees are a very valuable fibre used to make the strongest SPX paper [ cement bags] And our paper mill couldn't produce it fast enough because of the high demand. Since 1994 our operation here has gone mechanical harvesting working 24 hrs a day. We were one of the last few operations in the country to log with chainsaws and I took full advantage of it. My work attracted Oregon's[Omark] and Stihl's field test engineers to let me test their product and eventually Stihl hired me to work for them.

Now lets get back to our debate on Stihl and Oregon sawchain!!

Last edited:
480 trees a day, everyday, for 20 years eh? :dizzy: :monkey:

You left out the answer to my question of "Did ya'll work Sundays".......

By far your best post, very deep, had to put on the waders.:notrolls2:

480 trees a day, everyday, for 20 years eh? :dizzy: :monkey:

You left out the answer to my question of "Did ya'll work Sundays".......

By far your best post, very deep, had to put on the waders.:notrolls2:

2000 are you drunk , read my post again , no I didn't work sundays ,visulize my small trees. I was a little hard on you earlier, my apologies even though you are just a kid LOL.:greenchainsaw:

I may be a kid but I can see your adult horse hockey, LOL.

480 pecker poles a day is manageable..........Every day for 20 years? Cmon homie everyone has called you on your crap, fess up and say your were "stretching" the truth.

I may be a kid but I can see your adult horse hockey, LOL.

480 pecker poles a day is manageable..........Every day for 20 years? Cmon homie everyone has called you on your crap, fess up and say your were "stretching" the truth.

Sorry 2000 ,like I said I'm estimating conservative, We were good at what we did no matter if they were peckerpoles . Pacing out the pile at the end of the day was our just reward. With another crew working next door we were very competitve.

Sorry 2000 ,like I said I'm estimating conservative, We were good at what we did no matter if they were peckerpoles . Pacing out the pile at the end of the day was our just reward. With another crew working next door we were very competitve.

See now how hard was that? We could have saved a few posts.....

And back to the chain, you have read the comments from other's(not including Troll who doesn't use saws) and the vote is Stihl!

Thank ya, Thank ya very much.:D

See now how hard was that? We could have saved a few posts.....

And back to the chain, you have read the comments from other's(not including Troll who doesn't use saws) and the vote is Stihl!

Thank ya, Thank ya very much.:D
Even though my trees are peckerpoles and I have'nt done piecework since '94, don't ask me if I cut 3 million yet.
I think we're beating a dead horse here. Lets say as :deadhorse: long as Oregon keeps improving sawchain design and setting the standards, Stihl will always have a good chain.

Last edited:
After my short stint working for Stihl in 1989 I went back to my old cut & skid job in Manitoba. The large forestry company I worked for had very strict safety policies with our chainsaws. We could only use small radius safety bar tips[Oregon double guard, Windsor Mini-pro] and only use Oregon 72, LP or LG and Stihl 33 RS chain. If you read my #10 post on this thread I explained how Hans Peter Stihl told me that the safety ramp tie strap on the RS was only an optical illusion and didn't offer any safety feature, because when the cutter is at the kickback zone of the upper curvature of the tip the straight depth gauge was wide open and the "safety ramp" was below it .When back at my old job I told the safety committee this information and all Stihl sawchain was pulled from the companies 8 logging camps and from all the contractors.

A short time later I was at the standup bar of my favorite watering hole enjoying a fine Canadian beer,when someone came up behind me and sucker punched me in the jaw with all his might, when I spun around and grabbed him by the throat his eyes were as big as saucers when he saw I didn't go down. In my surprise it was our friendly Stihl dealer Leo. I proceeded to drag him out to the parking lot and taught him some much needed manners, before He went to sleep I said to him "and this one is for your Stihl safety chain". A few yers later around 1992 Stihl introduces the 33 RS with the safety ramp on the depth gauge exactly like the Oregon 72 LG that Oregon introduced in 1982. Again proving that Stihl is once again playing catchup to Oregon.

Last edited:
Fair enough.:D

I was too easy on you 2000, I thought I'd just finish this thread with this information and not editing and twisting around someones elses Quote.
Off to work ,winter off season is near.

Last edited:
Only in YOUR mind

You make an interesting point Super3...

As it seems to me, it is his mind, and his mouth that gets him into trouble! Read the parts between the lines.....

After my short stint working for Stihl in 1989 I went back to my old cut & skid job in Manitoba. The large forestry company I worked for had very strict safety policies with our chainsaws. We could only use small radius safety bar tips[Oregon double guard, Windsor Mini-pro] and only use Oregon 72, LP or LG and Stihl 33 RS chain. If you read my #10 post on this thread I explained how Hans Peter Stihl told me that the safety ramp tie strap on the RS was only an optical illusion and didn't offer any safety feature, because when the cutter is at the kickback zone of the upper curvature of the tip the straight depth gauge was wide open and the "safety ramp" was below it .When back at my old job I told the safety committee this information and all Stihl sawchain was pulled from the companies 8 logging camps and from all the contractors.

A short time later I was at the standup bar of my favorite watering hole enjoying a fine Canadian beer,when someone came up behind me and sucker punched me in the jaw with all his might, when I spun around and grabbed him by the throat his eyes were as big as saucers when he saw I didn't go down. In my surprise it was our friendly Stihl dealer Leo. I proceeded to drag him out to the parking lot and taught him some much needed manners, before He went to sleep I said to him "and this one is for your Stihl safety chain". A few yers later around 1992 Stihl introduces the 33 RS with the safety ramp on the depth gauge exactly like the Oregon 72 LG that Oregon introduced in 1982. Again proving that Stihl is once again playing catchup to Oregon.

Just as a starter, someone can not come up from behind and sucker punch with all there might, someone in the jaw,,,,, unless this joke has his mouth on the wrong side? Making poring that beer a little harder??? :dizzy:

To prove my point, after the punch 'with all his might' he turned around. How else could that be?

But as 'stories' go, I did like the line, "and this one is for your Stihl safety chain", as it adds a little Max Brand or Lewis L'amour style, no?

My suggesting to the writer, HolmenTree, if you have something to say about someone, say it to there face, the next person you poddy mouth might have a little more sucker to there punch.

Oh, and every job I contract, I run my own tools and consumables. Not sure how contractors in Canada could be different, but "and from all the contractors" is a very effective safety meeting, no?

In all, I give hommies fictional writing an 8.5 , next time try some riding off into the sunset , and a real logger getting the girl.

Last edited:
Back