chain roller?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is a chain catcher, not a "roller".

ok ,now i getting confused,so iam asking,in my confusion,is the stock chain catcher that came on the saw ms660,if i put the roller in place of the stock catcher,will it still stop the chain,as good good as the stock catcher???

they both serve the same purpose which is to stop a thrown chain.

you wont be able to install the roller catcher with the stock aluminum catcher in place. its gets in the way on the 066/660. its one or the other.

True but I call it a roller catcher. I don't know what the official Stihl name for the device is. On my 660 and 460 I have an aftermarket full wrap handle so I don't run a separate catcher.
Looking at the IPL that I have for the MS 362, it simply states "chain catcher." The synthetic "roller" is just called a "sleeve." The complete assembly is just that, chain catcher. Thought that was interesting how it's listed that way.

they both serve the same purpose which is to stop a thrown chain.

you wont be able to install the roller catcher with the stock aluminum catcher in place. its gets in the way on the 066/660. its one or the other.

Are you sure? I think I have both on mine now, will change it out ASAP.

cool,i think i got it...i got the protective cover piece,and the roller,going to install it after while...:)

Just wanted to say thank you again to everybody. I finally recieved all the parts and converted over to the large clutch cover, 8 pin rim,roller catcher and the protective nylon piece for the case. Wouldn't have known about the case protection piece without you guys. Painted the rib black on the new cover as well. All that's left is the half wrap handle now. Oh and to see if it will pull the new Stihl RS full comp 28" with the 8 pin on it :biggrin:.

Dang...i got my 562xp last week and have about 25 tanks through it.

Yea I know, it's killing me. I had all the wood done for winter after I got it. I do have some trees I have to go cut, but I have to get the time to go do it. Busy with tractor work now and one tree I have to build a road over a culvert to haul it out as it's on an island. Hopefully soon I will be logging some hours on her. Anxious to see how it does with the 8 pin and RS chain. Dang that chain is SHARP!:hmm3grin2orange:

Yea I know, it's killing me. I had all the wood done for winter after I got it. I do have some trees I have to go cut, but I have to get the time to go do it. Busy with tractor work now and one tree I have to build a road over a culvert to haul it out as it's on an island. Hopefully soon I will be logging some hours on her. Anxious to see how it does with the 8 pin and RS chain. Dang that chain is SHARP!:hmm3grin2orange:

I'm just messin' with you. My saw pay my bills so they get run more.

P.S. right out of the box run the file acrossed that chain i even knock the rakers down a few strokes (2-3) but be very careful doing that.

Last edited:
I'm just messin' with you. My saw pay my bills so they get run more.

P.S. right out of the box run the file acrossed that chain i even knock the rakers down a cew strokes but be very careful doing that.

LOL, yea I don't pay the bills with mine. Just an idiot that enjoys saws and cuttin wood.:wink2: It's funny you talk about the rakers as I like cutting them down. I almost over did it on the 390 chain.:hmm3grin2orange:

LOL, yea I don't pay the bills with mine. Just an idiot that enjoys saws and cuttin wood.:wink2: It's funny you talk about the rakers as I like cutting them down. I almost over did it on the 390 chain.:hmm3grin2orange:

Yeah you don't wanna over do it, i saw a guy get a 372 ripped right out of his hands taking too much.

Back