chain roller?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

demc570

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I bought a new ms660,with dual dawgs,then bought a chain roller to put on it,or should i leave the chain catcher on it and forget the roller?

The roller works better and doesn't get chewed up so easily like the aluminum hook type. (The hook is an ablative so it should be soft enough not to damage the chain but they only last a few thrown chains.) You will not throw a chain very often on the 660 because it sees different use than a small saw. Removing the hook catcher will open up the area sawdust flows through helping it to not clog so much. There is a part, a little nylon part, that protects the front of the case. Make sure your saw has one. Obviously I can't remember the name of the part.

The roller works better and doesn't get chewed up so easily like the aluminum hook type. (The hook is an ablative so it should be soft enough not to damage the chain but they only last a few thrown chains.) You will not throw a chain very often on the 660 because it sees different use than a small saw. Removing the hook catcher will open up the area sawdust flows through helping it to not clog so much. There is a part, a little nylon part, that protects the front of the case. Make sure your saw has one. Obviously I can't remember the name of the part.

not sure what nylon part your refering to,the kit i got from sthil included the bolt,a nut,a nylon roller,and a clip....is there something else? thank you,also on my ms361 i throw a chain and the regular stock chain catcher messed up brand new chain,but did keep the chain from hitting me,will the roller offer same protection,and be easier on the chain? thanks again:msp_biggrin:

I've never thrown a chain but there's always the first time.

I have a 660 and a 066 and the 660 has the roller and the 066 cookie saw has no spikes and a catcher. Cannot see that they've ever thrown a chain.

I have a gaggle of Husky 365's & 372's with rollers except for one cookie cutter with a catcher and they have all thrown chains before I owned them. Appears that the chain bunches up in the back and breaks the cover. It chews the roller up a little. I've replaced the broken and chewed up parts including new rollers on the ones that needed them.

not sure what nylon part your refering to,the kit i got from sthil included the bolt,a nut,a nylon roller,and a clip....is there something else? thank you,also on my ms361 i throw a chain and the regular stock chain catcher messed up brand new chain,but did keep the chain from hitting me,will the roller offer same protection,and be easier on the chain? thanks again:msp_biggrin:

In another thread a question was posted about mounting the 1122 640 8300 bumper strip on the MS660. The bumper is used when the standard chain catcher is replaced with the roller chain catcher.

Here is a set of pictures showing the part and how it is mounted on the saw:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Cheap insurance for expensive magnesium.

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/113291.htm

From my experience with old chainsaws, this is a neglected area.

thankyou so much for the info,wouldnt ofknew it,if werent from you,i ordered 2 of them and a extre roller kit as well.....thanks again:msp_thumbup:

Not to hijack but as a new MS660 owner with the bigger dogs, is there one part number for the complete roller kit? Going to assume this all has to be ordered through the dealer, is that correct?

Not to hijack but as a new MS660 owner with the bigger dogs, is there one part number for the complete roller kit? Going to assume this all has to be ordered through the dealer, is that correct?

no problem,congrats on new saw,i love mine only put 3 tanks of fuel threw her so far:smile2:

Use the roller and pull the catcher

Use the roller remove the stock chain catch.
Please excuse my ignorance here for I'm still in the green and learning. Is the stock chain catcher assembly not needed if there is a roller chain catcher assembly in place? Just want to make sure that I understand this correctly.

Back